It's strange to feel unsettled after a 35-0 division road win

Inigo Montoya

Allen will be fine in time. By all accounts he was lights out in training camp. It’s difficult to sustain that level of play and focus for weeks on end, we’re now witnessing a bit of a slump where he’s missing reads and throws. All great players go through these slumps. Brady is the closest to a machine and even he has his off days. I fully expect Allen to come around, I actually thought it’d happen after he got riled up from the push out of bounds. Better that it’s happening now and not at the end of the year. That’s when he needs to be hot. 

yeah hes back to the over throws even on the short stuff and then overcompensated today with crazy rainbow under throws that thankfully diggs made a great high point catch on one. hes still good at darts to beasley but i dunno. i really like to know what happened with smoke and how much more he wanted because i think healthy and same pay range he would not have to build the chemistry that josh and sanders is lacking at this point.

its scary because our coaches put all the eggs in the passing game basket.  at least they didnt make moss a healthy scratch so hopefully they plan on balance until josh gets it together and the D plays well.

3 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

It has nothing to do with today's outcome. I mean, it's a fact, Allen has regressed. Almost to the point to where some people thought about putting in Tribuski. Even McDermott knows this otherwise, Tribuski would have came in when the game was out of reach at 28-0. I'm hoping Allen gets a spark from something and soon. 

We like to run deep crosses down the field and our offensive line is playing like doo doo...trubisky wouldve gotten killed 

4 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

He hasn't played good since the Colts game.

This is now 4 consecutive games where the offense have played like *****.

It's very rare that a "top level" QB would play this bad for 4 consecutive games. 

Chiefs game shouldn't count...our receivers were getting mugged and they were all horribly injured 

4 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

35 to nothing.... and all the delicate nasty nancies are leaking into their panties.   What did you want 85 to minus 13?

Exactly!!  I was at the game today.  The atmosphere was fantastic.  The Bills took control on the first series putting Tua in the ground.  And were physical all day long.  Milano is a beast out there.  And the 4th down stop by Dane Jackson.  That's was a BIG TIME play baby.  Josh is not going to throw for 400 yards and 4 scores every week.  He has not been at his best the first two weeks of the season.  He did made some plays today, especially in the red zone w his two nice TD passes.  But for god's sake we shut out a divisional opponent in their house by 5 TD's.  It was a great team effort.  The defense is much improved from last year.  Playing a way more aggressive scheme too.  Enjoy the victory.  The Dolphin fans were mostly gone by early in the 4th qtr.  They were a somber bunch.    Its a long season.  We are not going to dominate every week.  Noone does.  But when your defense plays like it did today, we will be in every game.

• Like (+1) 2

I don't share the same level of concern because 35-0 is historical. People want domination and this was domination, but not the right kind of domination? Ok I guess, I'll listen to the Josh Allen concerns.

However, I'm much more blown away by the QB pressure today. This is what we wanted this year. We got it. So now when Josh puts it together, what are we going to do? This will be a fun game to point back to when Josh lights it up for 400 in week 10 or whatever. This defense looks insane.

Also, sure seems like we do have a running game as long as they're allowed to play. Singletary/Moss looked great today. 

Edited by Nelius
  • Like (+1) 1

In fact, I'm not seeing this enough so here you go - this was Singletary-Moss-Allen on the ground today:

26 carries, 143 yards, 3 tds

26-143-3TD-5.5ypc

That might be second to the Titans in terms of the best run game in the NFL today, I'll have to check. Clearly our offense isn't bad.

5 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

I still have nightmares about backup QBs torching us from a handful of years ago.  Who was it, Tarvaris Jackson?

The Arthur "Don't Cross the" Moats-Brett Favre retirement game.  Extra points for spelling Tarvaris correctly.  Many here confuse him with Tavares, the 70s disco band....

Edited by Freddie's Dead

1 hour ago, Nelius said:

In fact, I'm not seeing this enough so here you go - this was Singletary-Moss-Allen on the ground today:

26 carries, 143 yards, 3 tds

26-143-3TD-5.5ypc

That might be second to the Titans in terms of the best run game in the NFL today, I'll have to check. Clearly our offense isn't bad.

I think when people are saying offense what they mean is Josh Allen.

I think they worked some stuff out in that 2nd half. The fundamental issue they have in terms of working out who they want to be is this desire for more offensive balance doesn't play to Josh's strengths. I have said this for 3 years he isn't great at handing off twice in a row and then hitting a pinpoint pass on 3rd and 6. But once he is in a groove passing, like that first drive of the second half, then he becomes a very accurate passer. Josh needs the ball in his hands and pass plays to get into his rhythm. Of course the offensive line play has to be better. It was not great yesterday either but not as much exposed by a significantly weaker defensive front. And the play calling especially early in drives has to be better. The Bills passed on 1st down more than anyone in the league in 2020 and they had good success with it. That is still the way they should go for me.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think they worked some stuff out in that 2nd half. The fundamental issue they have in terms of working out who they want to be is this desire for more offensive balance doesn't play to Josh's strengths. I have said this for 3 years he isn't great at handing off twice in a row and then hitting a pinpoint pass on 3rd and 6. But once he is in a groove passing, like that first drive of the second half, then he becomes a very accurate passer. Josh needs the ball in his hands and pass plays to get into his rhythm. Of course the offensive line play has to be better. It was not great yesterday either but not as much exposed by a significantly weaker defensive front. And the play calling especially early in drives has to be better. The Bills passed on 1st down more than anyone in the league in 2020 and they had good success with it. That is still the way they should go for me.

I found it rather frustrating that after the Josh INT they went to 4 straight runs. And this was in a 2 min drill. Was saying to myself, you have to let him throw, he needs to work it out!

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

If Josh and the offense can find their rhythm and keep the defense playing at this level, the Bills are going to be very formidable.  Let's hope things start to click for the offense soon.  It's really strange to watch the Bills win 35-0 and feel unsettled about it.

Seems pretty weird to me. I feel terrific.

The offense isn't hitting on all cylinders, but they're certainly still playing very solid, and the D is taking up the slack. I feel terrific.  Maybe after a few days I'll feel a bit less thrilled.

5 hours ago, NJKBillsfan said:

He hasn't played good since the Colts game.

This is now 4 consecutive games where the offense have played like *****.

It's very rare that a "top level" QB would play this bad for 4 consecutive games. 

It's not, because he hasn't played all that bad. He's been fairly mediocre. And what's rare is that a guy this quickly becomes the kind of QB in three years that people call him a "top level" QB and are surprised when he doesn't play great in two playoff games against very good defenses in January and two games to start the season the next year.

During those four games he's thrown 5 TDs and 1 INT, thrown for more than 250 YPG and put up a passer rating of 81.25.

Just for comparison, in the first four games of Tom Brady's fourth year, he managed 5 TDs, 7 INTs, 848 yards, for a passer rating of 70.85.

And I find it weird for you to say the offense played like ***** today. They did not. They just didn't. They weren't great, but they were solid at least.

Edited by Thurman#1

11 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

We just put 35 offensive points up on a good defense and played mediocre on offense. What you guys are feeling is the pressure of increased expectations. This team can win and win BIG without Josh Allen playing his best and that’s a good thing. I have no doubt Josh and the O will round into form. We took a lot of teams by surprise last year and now they are game planning specifically for what we want to do. I have confidence that Josh and the O will adjust and hopefully we will have a more balanced O so Josh doesn’t have to be exceptional every game and can lean on our running game and D. I’d absolutely like to see the O more in sync and I think as the season progresses we will get there. Enjoy the W! 

This ^^^. People forget that Miami had a good D last year. Time will reveal how good they are this year. It’s crazy to think we are lamenting a blowout.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The Arthur "Don't Cross the" Moats-Brett Favre retirement game.  Extra points for spelling Tarvaris correctly.  Many here confuse him with Tavares, the 70s disco band....

Or John Tavares, the extremely successful and popular hockey player?

• Like (+1) 1

Josh has been off but it's way likely a current lack of mental groove than any technical aspects. In other words, he can turn it around quick. First game was unsettling to me in that the DL couldn't pressure Ben while facing a revamped OL with 2 rookies. And OL had such issues pass protecting, even counting for the fact the Steelers DL is one of the best. Both issues has been squashed - so did the Fish.

To me, it's clear Josh needs some "mental" help. You may have laughed at Lee Smith but he seemed to be pretty good at that. Diggs should find a way to calm him down. A relaxed playful Josh simply plays better than the tense serious one.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

This ^^^. People forget that Miami had a good D last year. Time will reveal how good they are this year. It’s crazy to think we are lamenting a blowout.

Hey B.B.

I could have condensed my OP down to one sentence; "Until last year's Josh Allen shows up, I don't think the Bills are legit Super Bowl contenders."

That's the crux of it.  It doesn't matter how much we beat the Dolphins by in Week 2.  We aren't going to compete with the Chiefs, Browns, Rams, and Bucs if we don't have elite Josh Allen on our team.  We could win 10-12 games and make the playoffs playing this style of ball if our defense continues to dominate, but I don't think we can win a Super Bowl, and that is where this franchise is right now.  Every season is Super Bowl or bust.  

A couple of posters here have argued that with a regular off season this year defenses are ahead of offenses and that imbalance will lessen as we get further into the season.  That's a fair argument to make, but Mayfield, Brady, Mahomes, and Stafford are all playing great to start the season.  Look at Lamar's performance last night too. 

I still believe that Josh will figure things out.  I'm a huge Josh Allen guy.  I don't believe that last year was a flash in the pan for Josh.  One thing is certain, if we can combine last year's Josh Allen with this year's defense, the Bills will be a juggernaut.

Until last year's Josh Allen does shows up,  I'm going to remain "unsettled" for lack of a better word.

🍻

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1