Why is taunting a penalty?

Dan Darragh

The problem I have is when its enforced and how inconsistently it gets called. I've seen games ruined by random calls of this type. It also can be a problem if it gets enforced all the time (no one would like that). So when do you call it?  I guess in a game where a blowout is occuring and someone is acting like an a-hole. Otherwise, put the flag away.

42 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

See now that is taunting. 

Making a play and getting up and jacked that you made a play isn't.   That's just being hyped up.

You can make a play and celebrate. You can’t do it in an opponents face.  Especially if you are standing over them.

2 minutes ago, ticketssince61 said:

... but after a turnover, having the whole defense running the entire length of the field, sliding in the endzone, and doing a choreographed routine is not?

As long as you're not doing it in somebody's face

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

Are they worried that someone's feelings might get hurt?

Discuss.

There’s really nothing to discuss. The rule is the rule now and this year they are “emphasizing” enforcement on it. 

don’t celebrate right on top of the opposing player. That’s basically the rule. You can look up the exact language of it but I’m sure you won’t considering what you post around here. 

Don’t blame the refs…blame the rule book guys…