Why is taunting a penalty?

Dan Darragh

Taunting has been a penalty for quite a while now. It's a judgment call by the refs now which I'm not crazy about because some players get away with it more than others. Wasn't crazy about the call on Levi but it was correct. You can't flex standing directly over a player on the ground. He should've known better. I must admit he played well today and I'm one of his biggest detractors.

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

The “No Fun League” has eliminated any possibility of bad blood between teams, or true grudge matches. I miss the bad blood, loved when it was in the NBA too. Those Bulls/Pistons and Knicks/Heat matches used to be epic.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

The “No Fun League” has eliminated any possibility of bad blood between teams, or true grudge matches. I miss the bad blood, loved when it was in the NBA too. Those Bulls/Pistons and Knicks/Heat matches used to be epic.

I might be in the minority, but I thought those games were just TERRIBLE basketball.  They started changing the rules because the Pistons didn't actually play basketball, they just had no talent guys like Rick Mahorn go on the court, intentionally try to hurt guys, use his 6 fouls, and people called it good defense.

The NFL realizes that they do have an influence, and it's not good for the game overall if these things are constantly happening in the pros, so it trickles down to college, high school, pee wee.  Just my thought on it anyway.  I do believe I remember hearing it said that the NFL was going to crack down even more on taunting this year, and it looks like that is happening

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Optometric Insight said:

Every time a taunting penalty is called, I still think about that Broncos v. Bills game couple years ago. We pulled out the W in part because Von Miller (?) went to help Tyrod up then hit him with the “sike” move and got the flag for it. Talk about playing dirty football…

See now that is taunting. 

Making a play and getting up and jacked that you made a play isn't.   That's just being hyped up.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

Are they worried that someone's feelings might get hurt?

Discuss.

It’s called “sportsmanship” it is 

a thing that represents not being a dick when when you are winning, or made a quality play, in other words, “knowing how to act” in a given situation, this is a social skill that needs a reminder from time to time. Yes there are social rules, even in football. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

See now that is taunting. 

Making a play and getting up and jacked that you made a play isn't.   That's just being hyped up.

A couple things. 

He didn’t get up then flex. He flexed while on him. I don’t think the flag was thrown for that because it happened quick. He was flagged for being on top of him, flexing, then yelling at him while he was still on top of him. 

I hated the call, but it wasn’t undeserved either. That one is on Wallace not the refs 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It may seem like an arbitrary and unnecessary rule to some, but it's not the first time the league has decided to make a rule about something that a loot of fans, players and coaches don't mind.  In the final analysis, it is a rule because the people making the rules think it should be.  They have that right, and the only way that will change is if having it as a penalty somehow costs the league.

41 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

Discuss.

41 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Taunting leads to fighting. Trying to nip a major cause of fight in the bud.

This. There are plenty of examples to go watch.

4 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

It may seem like an arbitrary and unnecessary rule to some, but it's not the first time the league has decided to make a rule about something that a loot of fans, players and coaches don't mind.  In the final analysis, it is a rule because the people making the rules think it should be.  They have that right, and the only way that will change is if having it as a penalty somehow costs the league.

You make a rule to decrease the amount of fighting. The rule succeeds in decreasing the fighting so the fans wonder why there is a rule.

Taunting is pretty much by definition unsportmanlike conduct. The enforcement is the issue. A reaction shouldn't be considered taunting, getting in someones face after a play is made is unsportsmanlike conduct and should be a penalty. But since the penalty is 15 yards and in many cases a game changer, the refs need to be very careful on how they enforce the rule.

53 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

Discuss.

This can't be a serious question.

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1