Josh Allen is looking a lot more like the 2019 version

Mikie2times

Just now, Bangarang said:

Does it have to be 8 games?

No but it does have to be more then 2 or 3 games. 

Last season Allen started on fire and so did our offense and then Allen got dinged and we had four average/bad offensive games in a row.  Arizona was a tipping point then the offense got hot for the rest of the season. The point is that a 17 game season is a marathon not a sprint.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Does it have to be 8 games? What about 5, 6 or even 7 games? 

Yes, it has to be a not insignificant amount of games to determine a trend. Why does that even need to be said?

You can make assumptions about his play and extrapolate, but you're just going on feelings. I don't think it's worth it to jump to conclusions.  You can be concerned, but to say definitively that he's regressed or that this is a trend is just guessing.

1 minute ago, Bruffalo said:

Yes, it has to be a not insignificant amount of games to determine a trend. Why does that even need to be said?

You can make assumptions about his play and extrapolate, but you're just going on feelings. I don't think it's worth it to jump to conclusions.  You can be concerned, but to say definitively that he's regressed or that this is a trend is just guessing.

You say yes, the other guy says no.

What assumptions am I making? Also, I never definitively said he regressed or that it’s a trend. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bruffalo said:

Fair enough.  I apologize.

My only point is that through the first two games our passing attack is clearly much worse than what we saw last year. We brought back 10 starters and had no changes to the coaching staff. What’s the problem? Why does Josh look like a rookie caught in headlights at times? Part of that is the o-line, clearly. But what’s the solution?

It doesn’t mean this is how things are going to be all year, but things obviously need to get a lot better. If they don’t, we aren’t going to be very successful. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

My only point is that through the first two games our passing attack is clearly much worse than what we saw last year. We brought back 10 starters and had no changes to the coaching staff. What’s the problem? Why does Josh look like a rookie caught in headlights at times? Part of that is the o-line, clearly. But what’s the solution?

It doesn’t mean this is how things are going to be all year, but things obviously need to get a lot better. If they don’t, we aren’t going to be very successful. 

I agree with everything you say, I just think that we have a lot of time to figure it out, and I'm confident we will figure it out.  We did it last year, we have the pieces, I think we'll right the ship. 

I definitely think it's way too early for a lot of the doom/gloom that's been around the fanbase during the game and I think even this thread is crazy premature.

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

This has nothing to do with fantasy or style points. Simply dismissing how our offense looks and blindly saying it’s good enough to win a SB is simply naive. Inefficiency with the passing game is not a sustainable model of winning that you can rely on to take you deep into the playoffs or win a SB. 

If it was, we probably would’ve just kept Tyrod.

I have never said that I'm dismissing that the offense hasn't met what my expectations were after the brief look we got in preseason it surely looked like it would be a continuous Josh Allen MVP show.  However as a longtime Bills fan, unlike what appears to be lack of coaching adjustments, I have adjusted my season expectations to whatever it takes to win as a team.  The lose against Steelers  was a team lose as Miami win is a team win not a Josh win where he was the mvp of game.  Even though the team won on all offensive scores, only the xps to be possibly considered ST points no defensive scores so posting the shutout only guaranteed a tie if the offense didn't do its part.

So yes a team playing complementary will get you far and is sustainable when its a focus which I'd expect to be high on the list of do's and don'ts in the process guidelines.  

Of course Tyrod could win games if the defense kept posting shutouts like today.   However part of the reason I think the defense plays as well is they know that they don't have to be perfect all the time as we can easily say Josh carried the team last year in games where the defense didn't do its share a handful of times.  I don't know if Tyrods not risking TOs and not trusting his wrs would inspire the defense as well as Josh and his play style does.  That's cause Josh playing 2020 style is fun to watch even other players (Sanders) were tuning in to  watch bills highlights taking notice.  Tyrod not so much, though he did play pretty much turnover free football that would complement any strong defense.  Josh basically flipped the Bills being a top destination for where a top FA wr would want to sign.  Think Antonio Brown would refuse playing for bills now if his holdout and subsequent  drama unfolded post Josh 2020. I think he'd have been on first flight into buffalo if that happened.  

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Process said:

Before the Steelers game, all the talk on Steelers forums was how bad their secondary is and how Allen is going to tear them apart. They all thought we would destroy them. 

But we lose and Allen plays like crap and Bills fans want to say it's because the Steelers have the best defense in the league. 

Their defense is not one of the best in the league. The Steelers are not a good team. Derek Carr just went for 400 and a win against them in Pittsburgh. 

Time to face reality... Allen has been bad and needs to get it together quick. 

The Raiders didn’t play the same Steelers defense. Watt, Bush, Haden, and Alualu all left the game. That said…

Fully agree that Allen and the offense hasn’t played well, and they need to find a solution to their woes. Unfortunately, it may be that the largest part of this offenses issues are poor guard play and Dawkins not being fully recovered from Covid. As for Allen, he needs to get on the same page with his receivers and start connecting on at least the gimmie passes. 

The play calling scares me more than Josh. I am not seeing them utilizing the middle of the field and short routes by Beasley and Davis. 

When we get rolling and we have those plays clicking I know it’s game over. I haven’t seen that this year. Lots of plays outside the hash marks but not much over the middle and short.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

I have never said that I'm dismissing that the offense hasn't met what my expectations were after the brief look we got in preseason it surely looked like it would be a continuous Josh Allen MVP show.  However as a longtime Bills fan, unlike what appears to be lack of coaching adjustments, I have adjusted my season expectations to whatever it takes to win as a team.  The lose against Steelers  was a team lose as Miami win is a team win not a Josh win where he was the mvp of game.  Even though the team won on all offensive scores, only the xps to be possibly considered ST points no defensive scores so posting the shutout only guaranteed a tie if the offense didn't do its part.

So yes a team playing complementary will get you far and is sustainable when its a focus which I'd expect to be high on the list of do's and don'ts in the process guidelines.  

Of course Tyrod could win games if the defense kept posting shutouts like today.   However part of the reason I think the defense plays as well is they know that they don't have to be perfect all the time as we can easily say Josh carried the team last year in games where the defense didn't do its share a handful of times.  I don't know if Tyrods not risking TOs and not trusting his wrs would inspire the defense as well as Josh and his play style does.  That's cause Josh playing 2020 style is fun to watch even other players (Sanders) were tuning in to  watch bills highlights taking notice.  Tyrod not so much, though he did play pretty much turnover free football that would complement any strong defense.  Josh basically flipped the Bills being a top destination for where a top FA wr would want to sign.  Think Antonio Brown would refuse playing for bills now if his holdout and subsequent  drama unfolded post Josh 2020. I think he'd have been on first flight into buffalo if that happened.  

As a long time fan you’d probably have it figured out by now that if you can’t reliably throw the ball and put up points, you aren’t likely to have any kind of sustained success. 

Is it really a coincidence that once we finally had a prolific passing offense we put up a bunch of points, win 13 games and make it to the AFC Championship game?

Giving vague and cliche slogans like “it’s a team game” is all well and good if but there are obviously problems with the offense that don’t get us where we want to go. Do you think Josh is going to watch the film from today and not seriously critique how poorly he played at times? 

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, I am the egg man said:

Ostriching on Allen's play seems popular.

Hopefully, he can pull his head out of the ground, soon.

He is out of synch a bit this year compared to last, which I attribute in part to figuring out how Sanders fits in. But he still makes plays most QB’s can’t or wouldn’t dare try.  That doesn’t mean we have our heads in the sand, it means we trust what we’ve seen enough to know he will get  better as the season goes on. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

He is out of synch a bit this year compared to last, which I attribute in part to figuring out how Sanders fits in. But he still makes plays most QB’s can’t or wouldn’t dare try.  That doesn’t mean we have our heads in the sand, it means we trust what we’ve seen enough to know he will get  better as the season goes on. 

10 starters returned. No coaching or scheme changes. But it’s  getting in sync with Sanders that is part of the issue? I don’t buy that for a second.  

Allen sucks Bills suck on to next year, no but seriously NFL is a week to week match up league. Allen could very well come out next week and throw for 350 and 4 tds, then the "he is back" talk will commence.  EVERY QB in the history of the NFL has had up and down weeks but the key is even on his "down" weeks Bills are usually competitive and still have a chance to win. Allen's worse days are still miles better than every QB we have had since Kelly, and hell even Kelly had some brutal games, its the NFL the other team has good players and coaches too.

Edited by billybob71
fix error
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Weatherman said:

How’d he do against the Dolphins and Steelers last year?  He’s regressed this year so far and it’s not disputable. 

Not well in the Steelers game. And the first game against the Dolphins was really close.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

He was statistically better through two games last season but I definitely remember similar conversations about people still doubting him through the first two weeks last year, particularly after the first Jets game. All the way through Week 7 really, many were ready to kick him to the curb after the Titans game, more after the Chiefs loss the next week. So maybe just maybe he'll pick things up a bit.