Josh Allen is looking a lot more like the 2019 version

Mikie2times

3 hours ago, CapitalRegionBillsFan said:

I rarely post because I most enjoy reading and learning but this topic has me frustrated. I get it, it’s two games and we can’t draw season-long conclusions with such little data. However, call it a feeling, Josh just doesn’t look the same. He’s missing what he made last year. He threw two lobs today that very easily could have been picked. 

I know we won and overall it was a nice road win. Defense was outstanding today. I’m thinking ahead, thinking division and playoffs because we are good enough to do that this early in the year but the Josh we have seen these last couple games isn’t going to cut it against good teams. 

I love Josh and I’m not saying anything silly like “it’s over” or “Josh isn’t the guy.” Nowhere near that sentiment. Just a little concerned. 

We all are my man. I really think his just filling the pressure of getting paid and all the super bowl talk. I think by next week he will be good. At least I hope because we got some big games coming up in a few weeks 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

15 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Yes, bottom line is the final score is the only factor that matters in the end.  Style points are maybe important for fantasy football, but in the real world its the only thing that matters. 

I'd love for Josh to go on a amazing 500 yd per game, do nothing wrong, can't be stopped  whatever the defenses bring,  string of 15 games to finish the season as the most amazing defuting factor in "accuracy cannot be learned".  Fact  anything is learnable that doesn't require specific physical traits. For example,  I'm pretty confident that in a limbo competition that lil dirty McKenzie has a distinct advantage and be my pick to win over Josh Allen.  In the end though I don't care how the team wins the Lombardi at the end of the season.   First Td of season  Allen to Davis  kinda of appropriate  to quote Allen Davis "Just Win Baby". 

This has nothing to do with fantasy or style points. Simply dismissing how our offense looks and blindly saying it’s good enough to win a SB is simply naive. Inefficiency with the passing game is not a sustainable model of winning that you can rely on to take you deep into the playoffs or win a SB. 

If it was, we probably would’ve just kept Tyrod.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

I don't have a problem not counting the playoff games. He looked the same, but it's the playoffs. So a little different.

As far as the defensive adjustments I think teams learned a few things last year. Daboll is happy to act like Marv Levy in our first Super Bowl, our OL is below average, and don't blitz Josh. Then the game plan becomes simple because all three concepts run together. Play 4 man fronts, drop everybody, try and get pressure with your front four using max coverage.

The Bills will still throw into it as we have saw. As we saw against Pittsburgh, eventually the line doesn't hold up. Blitzing Allen is futile. He just side steps blitzing players in an uncontrolled rush, it telegraphs your defense and just minuses a defender.  So all these things that teams did last year because that's just how you play normal defense, they aren't doing this year.

One way to get around all of these problems? Develop a real running game. If people don't recall, Josh is also elite in Play Action. I put this just as much on Daboll as anybody. Josh isn't going to get it done against the looks he's seeing. 

I agree with you 💯 it’s hard to pass every down especially when everyone knows it. Teams are playing us like the opposite of the ravens stack the line and make Lamar beat you in the air. Well there telling the bills beat us on the ground. Until we do that a few games there not going to stop. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, NJKBillsfan said:

I think he's actually been pretty much the same player.

I think last year we just beat up on a lot of weak teams so it made him look better. 

Steelers and dolphins are weak teams. All this "two best defenses in the league" crap is just to make people feel better about what we've seen so far from the offense. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, KzooMike said:

Last 4 games:  98 of 169, 58%, 942 Yards, 6 TD's to 2 INT's, 80.53 Rating

2021: 47 of 84, 56%, 449 Yards, 3 TD's to 1 INT, 77.92 Rating

2020 Regular Season: 396 of 572, 69.2%, 4544 Yards, 37 TD's to 10 INT's, 107.1 Rating

2019 Regular Season: 271 of 461, 58.8%, 3089 Yards, 20 TD's to 9 INT's, 85.31 Rating

So what we have seen this season and over the last 4 games is at or below the level of play we have seen in 2019. Which looks right from what I observed, in fact, I would say this team looks very much like the 2019 team. Allen capable of making plays, excellent defense. Playoff team, but not consistent enough to be more.  

The question becomes what's going on with Josh? To me Josh looks confused and indecisive which leads to a breakdown of his mechanics and poor timing in our passing game. He doesn't know where he wants to go with the ball and that is concerning. Why isn't he reading defenses as easily as he did in 2020?

It seems it is not at all uncommon for QB's that have break out years to regress the next year once teams focus on taking away what they like to do with consistency. It was certainly a lot easier to communicate and audible last season. Whatever it is I don't think the answers are easy or simple. We will see soon enough.     

I believe Allen has not been accurate but I also believe the Bills did nothing to improve their offence and provide him another option or play maker.

I still think this is more game planning around short passes and a focus on the running game, something that was key in why we lost the AFC title game. Allen is only around 5-6 yards per pass attempt so far, the struggles are weird but to this point I’m not real worried. We don’t want to be clicking on all cylinders in September. 

2 minutes ago, boater said:

Such negativity in this thread after a 35-0 win. Only in Buffalo.

I would say most the negativity is the 35-0, stop talking, we won crowd. The group that is being forward about what they have seen from Josh has had some good conversation. 

11 minutes ago, Process said:

Steelers and dolphins are weak teams. All this "two best defenses in the league" crap is just to make people feel better about what we've seen so far from the offense. 

Before the Steelers game, all the talk on Steelers forums was how bad their secondary is and how Allen is going to tear them apart. They all thought we would destroy them. 

But we lose and Allen plays like crap and Bills fans want to say it's because the Steelers have the best defense in the league. 

Their defense is not one of the best in the league. The Steelers are not a good team. Derek Carr just went for 400 and a win against them in Pittsburgh. 

Time to face reality... Allen has been bad and needs to get it together quick. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’m not panicking yet, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little concerned. Especially during the first 1/2 today. Seeing how frustrated Allen was brought back some bad memories.

Allen has definitely not looked like the 2020 version so far. I wouldn’t say he looks like 2019 Josh Allen either. He’s been better than that and more mature/experienced with (most of) his decision making. But there has been a pre-2020 feel to some of his play.

Its not just him though. It’s the entire offense, outside of a couple players (Diggs and Singletary come to mind). The o line was garbage against Pittsburgh. Receivers aren’t getting open like they were last year. And a lot of Daboll’s play-calling has been suspect, at best. I really haven’t been overly impressed with his play calling so far this season. I don’t think he’s done Allen many favors when he’s struggled.

Im still trying to hold off judgement at least until they play a few more games (it’s a lot easier to do when they win, like today!). I’m still holding out hope they figure things out. Maybe they’re just rusty or they need to figure out a new way to attack the defensive game plans they’re seeing.

• Like (+1) 1

My one concern with the contract was that he only had one elite year. I wouldn’t be worried, except for that we paid up big time for an MVP quality QB, and with his impending cap hit, we need consistent MVP quality play. 

I hope, and think, he turns it around. His work ethic and love of football gives me confidence. However, if you are not concerned then your delusional. 

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think fans realize this team isn’t winning a SB with Allen playing likes he’s been playing… 

But it's only been two games.  If Allen and the offense are still playing like this after 8 games then yea we have a problem and we're not winning the SB this year. But after only two games - I'm not concerned.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Motorin' said:

These people that haven't posted in over a year are the same ones we had to listen to everyday during Allen's first two seasons tell us he'll never be any good. 

Now they're like pigs rolling in their own feces, overjoyed that Allen hasn't been great.

I call it failure pron. Our 2 italian friends, the lawman and guy with the Pats logo as a handle are just here to troll.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

But it's only been two games.  If Allen and the offense are still playing like this after 8 games then yea we have a problem and we're not winning the SB this year. But after only two games - I'm not concerned.

Does it have to be 8 games? What about 5, 6 or even 7 games? 

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Watched back some of the game. Made me less worried about Josh. The Fins played mostly man and were like glue on our receivers. Lot of guys covered and with very little separation. Josh missed on some open throws— but for the most part, the coverage was very good. I think their normal “man beaters,” like WR screens, weren’t clicking as much. 

I am sure there are some throws that Josh can work on or that he would like back. But he also threw some absolute dimes (the long throw to Sanders on the second TD drive; the throw against his body rolling left for a first down inside the ten to Diggs; and both of his TD throws). 

• Like (+1) 3