Josh Allen is looking a lot more like the 2019 version

Mikie2times

1 hour ago, Process said:

He's been really, really, REALLY bad. Completely different player than last year. 

Hopefully he snaps out of it. We have 0 chance against KC with this version of Allen. 

100% agree.

He never hut his back foot and just let it go today. The few times he did he was way off the mark. He was overthrowing early and then it looked like he adjusted by trying to feather everything and left way too many balls short.  There are some early warning signs, let's hope he snaps out of it.

• Like (+1) 1

Really strange that the prevailing opinion is that the offense still is searching for its groove, yet we just scored 5 TDs and completely blew out a division opponent on the road.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Going back to last years playoffs to make a mindless point with statistics no less. I'm surprised your not referencing the Houston playoff loss. If he doesn't beat KC you'll probably call for Trubisky. The playcalling was better. The Bills ran the ball with better O-line play and our defense was opportunistic. Josh used his legs, made some great plays(Diggs td) and the game was never in doubt. You don't need style points. He's gonna build momentum and be the guy they paid 1/4 billion for. Thanks for your continued confidence. 

• Like (+1) 1

There is definitely some truth to the fact that the pass protection is making Josh uncomfortable. Even on the underthrown pass to Diggs right at the end of the 1st half, there is pressure in Allen's face when he unloads the ball (I just rewatched this play). He has no chance to step into it and has to lob it off his back foot. Not saying that is always the case on some of these inaccurate throws but I think the constant pressure in the pocket is affecting his ability to keep his mechanics under control. So like I said I would like Allen to leave the pocket more. That is where he is at his best. He threw 2 TD dimes from outside the pocket today.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

Yup, if it isn't 300+ yds and 3-4tds it's failure.  These are the same people back in the day that would be saying to bench Kelly for Reich.

I get that he has looked better and made some really bad throws today, but all of the talk about how “he better earn that money” and “no excuses” after a 35-0 blowout is weird. Isn’t that more so putting up than shutting up?

If Josh wins a ring but does it with a pedestrian 3500 passing yards and 84 rating, is there going to be disappointment?

Edited by Nelius
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

He will be fine. Enjoy the closer games because by the mid point of the season with the way the D is playing we might be winning by double digits every week easily...kinda like last year toward the end. 

35-0 is a closer game? If so, this season will be fun.

53 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Dude, there is only one playoff team in each conference that is not a Wild Card team.

Playing a wildcard team doesn't make you a wildcard team.  Division winners are all not wildcard teams because they are in regardless of record.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PowderRiver said:

What’s amazing to me is how we win 35-0 and played two top defenses and all we can do is focus on is Josh last years Josh or 2019 Josh.

Josh Allen is Josh Allen. He’s going to put up some big numbers in games this year too. It’s not a this or that thing to focus on.

God you guys are spoiled now.

Sorry don't ever tell us - who all stuck with this team through 4 super bowl losses, the drought, getting our teeth kicked in year after year by Brady, that any of us are spoiled. 

We filled stands for garbage and hope.

It's ok to discuss when players don't play well.

Edited by Sharky7337
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Nelius said:

If Josh wins a ring but does it a pedestrian 3500 passing yards and 84 rating, is there going to be disappointment?

No, of course not. We aren't winning any rings with QB play like the last 2 weeks. This narrative that the fans "only want stats" is completely misguided. We want elite QB play, and what we saw today was....eye opening to say the least.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Locomark said:

Actually I liked many of his decisions today. He threw the ball away like 5-6 times instead of taking dumb sacks like he used to. They still aren’t in sync yet, but it’s not unusual for offenses to not put up big numbers early in a season. Let’s see what happens the next 2 weeks where there is a big chance to put up back to back 300 yd games. Beasley isn’t getting as wide open as he was last year either. Teams have figured out how to bracket his option routes. 

I think that's more cause the D than Beasley.  He looks fine. Need a guy like Knox to get open underneath more. 

Beasley was a 1st down machine last year. We'll see 

With all the depth we got at WR, I think Dabol n Allen will figure it out and make defenses pay if they're going to key in on Beasley/ Diggs 

But ya, Josh could have had 3-4 picks. He's def not grooving like he was last year.  We'll see what happens. I'm confident in him and our coaches. 

It's weird how people aren't allowed to point out that our quarterback has been playing subpar football -- worse than last year, no doubt -- without people defensively jumping down their throat.

Sure, the Bills still won today. Sure, his line isn't doing him any favors. Sure, he'll likely have better games this season. But it's okay to admit that Josh hasn't played very good football the last two weeks, and that if he doesn't improve -- REGARDLESS of what the o-line is doing -- it will be pretty worrisome.

It doesn't make someone less of a Bills fan, it doesn't make them unappreciative of a win, and it doesn't make them a pessimist to call a spade a spade: Through two weeks, regardless of what other circumstances or excuses you want to throw out there, Josh HAS looked closer to the 2019 version than the 2020 version. It's not just stat sheet stuff. He's missing throws that he was NOT missing last year. He's getting away from some of those great mechanics improvements he made last year at inopportune times.

Normalize being honest when the quarterback isn't playing well. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

Yes, it must be defenses are taking away what Josh excels at and I would say that he excels at deep medium passes that are fired in there. 

Most great QBs go thru rough times where things are taken away and the QB must grow. Hopefully Josh can adjust, grow and hopefully start hittting arcing over the shoulder passes.... I think if he can do this, our offense will start making big plays in bunches, and defenses back off of taking away what Allen does (or did) best.

Right know, or, after two weeks, Josh has been pretty poor so it is up to everyone else to get us past Washington and Houston. We absolutely need the good Allen to beat the chefs....

BTW, I would not count his last two playoff games as Josh Allen bad games. His receivers were all beat up and most were just decoys out there. That wasn't Josh's fault. Josh's poorer play started this year and probably has to do with signing that contract and defenses catching up to him.

Josh has two weeks to get back to Josh Allen 2020.

Oopsie....l.

three(3) weeks.

9 minutes ago, Nelius said:

I get that he has looked better and made some really bad throws today, but all of the talk about how “he better earn that money” and “no excuses” after a 35-0 blowout is weird. Isn’t that more so putting up than shutting up?

If Josh wins a ring but does it a pedestrian 3500 passing yards and 84 rating, is there going to be disappointment?

Not from I.  I'm sure there will be lots of moaning and groaning though with your scenario.

I will take a huge division win like today anytime without crazy QB stats. Josh on the post game sideline interview even said his numbers weren't sexy but they didn't have to be with how the D and run game was playing today. 

Edited by Real McNasty

5 minutes ago, QCity said:

No, of course not. We aren't winning any rings with QB play like the last 2 weeks. This narrative that the fans "only want stats" is completely misguided. We want elite QB play, and what we saw today was....eye opening to say the least.

How about flashes of elite play (Diggs TD pass) while shutting out a division opponent in only week 2? Maybe things will get better?

I’m not opposed to criticism so much as the “put up or shut up” comment...after today, which I just found funny.

Edited by Nelius