Josh Allen is looking a lot more like the 2019 version

Mikie2times

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

He will be fine. Enjoy the closer games because by the mid point of the season with the way the D is playing we might be winning by double digits every week easily...kinda like last year toward the end. 

I just want to go on record and say that I’m ok with that.

1 hour ago, KzooMike said:

Last 4 games:  98 of 169, 58%, 942 Yards, 6 TD's to 2 INT's, 80.53 Rating

2021: 47 of 84, 56%, 449 Yards, 3 TD's to 1 INT, 77.92 Rating

2020 Regular Season: 396 of 572, 69.2%, 4544 Yards, 37 TD's to 10 INT's, 107.1 Rating

2019 Regular Season: 271 of 461, 58.8%, 3089 Yards, 20 TD's to 9 INT's, 85.31 Rating

So what we have seen this season and over the last 4 games is at or below the level of play we have seen in 2019. Which looks right from what I observed, in fact, I would say this team looks very much like the 2019 team. Allen capable of making plays, excellent defense. Playoff team, but not consistent enough to be more.  

The question becomes what's going on with Josh? To me Josh looks confused and indecisive which leads to a breakdown of his mechanics and poor timing in our passing game. He doesn't know where he wants to go with the ball and that is concerning. Why isn't he reading defenses as easily as he did in 2020?

It seems it is not at all uncommon for QB's that have break out years to regress the next year once teams focus on taking away what they like to do with consistency. It was certainly a lot easier to communicate and audible last season. Whatever it is I don't think the answers are easy or simple. We will see soon enough.     

How Dare You Greta GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

I have never felt like last year’s offensive style I’d sustainable. It was just a perfect storm where everything went right. I hate the idea of being in the already constantly and just throwing every down. I know we scored a ton of points last year and it was great….but it’s not sustainable IMO. I have always wanted more balance. To me, we should be way more like the young Cam, Shula Panthers offensively. Josh is a better passer then Cam was so that offense could be amazing with the guys we have. I’d be very interested in blending in some more of the 2019 style with the WRs we have now. Feels like it’s more dependable.

He looks like someone that has been over coached to stay in the pocket and throw touch passes. Josh Allen last year was stiff arming LBs and throwing finger-breaking rifles. Daboll needs to go to him and say forget everything I taught you this offseason, just go out there and have fun again. The TD drive right out of the half was exactly like that. He was running out of the pocket and throwing darts. He should have hit McKenzie for a big completion but threw a lollipop pass, maybe to make it an easier catch? Next time rocket it in there. Josh just needs to be Josh again. I think within the next 2 weeks we will see it.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Nelius said:

“Grrrr it’s put up or shut up time”...as the team shuts out a division opponent

So you just want stats basically?

Yup, if it isn't 300+ yds and 3-4tds it's failure.  These are the same people back in the day that would be saying to bench Kelly for Reich.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, KzooMike said:

Last 4 games:  98 of 169, 58%, 942 Yards, 6 TD's to 2 INT's, 80.53 Rating

2021: 47 of 84, 56%, 449 Yards, 3 TD's to 1 INT, 77.92 Rating

2020 Regular Season: 396 of 572, 69.2%, 4544 Yards, 37 TD's to 10 INT's, 107.1 Rating

2019 Regular Season: 271 of 461, 58.8%, 3089 Yards, 20 TD's to 9 INT's, 85.31 Rating

So what we have seen this season and over the last 4 games is at or below the level of play we have seen in 2019. Which looks right from what I observed, in fact, I would say this team looks very much like the 2019 team. Allen capable of making plays, excellent defense. Playoff team, but not consistent enough to be more.  

The question becomes what's going on with Josh? To me Josh looks confused and indecisive which leads to a breakdown of his mechanics and poor timing in our passing game. He doesn't know where he wants to go with the ball and that is concerning. Why isn't he reading defenses as easily as he did in 2020?

It seems it is not at all uncommon for QB's that have break out years to regress the next year once teams focus on taking away what they like to do with consistency. It was certainly a lot easier to communicate and audible last season. Whatever it is I don't think the answers are easy or simple. We will see soon enough.     

Yes, it must be defenses are taking away what Josh excels at and I would say that he excels at deep medium passes that are fired in there. 

Most great QBs go thru rough times where things are taken away and the QB must grow. Hopefully Josh can adjust, grow and hopefully start hittting arcing over the shoulder passes.... I think if he can do this, our offense will start making big plays in bunches, and defenses back off of taking away what Allen does (or did) best.

Right know, or, after two weeks, Josh has been pretty poor so it is up to everyone else to get us past Washington and Houston. We absolutely need the good Allen to beat the chefs....

BTW, I would not count his last two playoff games as Josh Allen bad games. His receivers were all beat up and most were just decoys out there. That wasn't Josh's fault. Josh's poorer play started this year and probably has to do with signing that contract and defenses catching up to him.

Josh has two weeks to get back to Josh Allen 2020.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He looks unsure of himself. Could be new defensive looks. Could be bad play calls. He's also missing throws he should make easily. Not panic mode but definitely one eyebrow raised.

1.  Underwhelming OL

2.  Inconsistent playcalling 

3. Pressure from Contract 

......in this order....Josh is not without some criticism on his early accuracy issues, but I think as the season goes on he'll settle down and play more relaxed. The stats, ratings etc will slowly climb.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, IronMaidenBills said:

It doesn’t matter how much he got paid. He’s here, he will be on this team for many years to come. He will figure it out eventually. 

Agreed.. People are over-reacting.   Miami has a great front seven and possibly the best back-four in the league.   Josh played a game management and focused on turning the ball over.   Also, I think Sanders is past his prime.  It might be ok for Beane to get Brown back on this team.

I think its just the Bills were highly successful last year in the pass game and now teams , particularly in the AFC, spent all offseason studying the Bills and the Chiefs and ways to stop them. The problem is the Bills haven't changed at all from last year. Right before Singletary broke off the TD run I was begging for them to run it. Everyone is going to run soft shell defense with 4-5 guys in the box until the Bills can run successfully against that. They did halfway decent today and need to continue to do that to get people out of it so we can go back to last years stuff so much.

• Like (+1) 1