Josh Allen is looking a lot more like the 2019 version

Mikie2times

Just now, BillsEnthusiast said:

Pretty much. Nothing good to say throughout his borderline MVP season but the nanosecond he doesn't throw for 500 yards and 5TDs, it's the end of the world, McD/Beane don't know what they're doing, etc etc. 

He's a baller. Period. 

Yeah, I'm happy to talk all day about ways he can play better.

I can't listen to these people demanding we accept doom. 

I think the big issue is the contract. If 2019 Josh had returned on the original contract it maybe wouldn't be so concerning (though disappointing) as we'd have some room to manouver. Now we've given it to him it's getting to the point where we cannot afford him to regress too far, otherwise we'll be in trouble until the contract runs out.

Everyone has issues and bad days, that's just a case of being human. But Josh only reached perhaps his minimum level, after six quarters of play, in the second half of today's game and even then he looked shaky; the quality that was there is missing.

I do wonder whether they're perhaps over-coaching Josh to a degree - it's almost as though they're trying to manage his arm which makes sense; too many deep throws have been off target. But it seems to be effecting basic throws; throws which he would have completed without hesitation last year. Add in defenses maybe working out our routes and plays plus a porous O-Line, this all results in a perfect storm. It's something we and he can work through, though.

16 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

🤣 Against the Miami Dolphins. LMK when we beat the Chiefs with Allen playing like this.

If the rest of the team plays like they did today and Daboll is taking what the D gives us like the 2nd half today we can beat the Chiefs.

People like you can B n Moan all that want about Allen but it changes zilch. I'm not worried about Allen at all honestly. I'm more satisfied with how we look as a total team to date, a complete team where Allen doesn't have to single handily beat teams. That is how you beat the Chiefs with an above average Allen day and complete team effort like today.

Edited by Real McNasty
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

He's not anywhere near the level of Mahomes. He's not anywhere near the level of plenty of other QBs. And when you're paid the most guaranteed money in NFL history and the expectation is Super Bowl, that's a big, big problem.

It’s fair to say that he was upper echelon in 2020, but that was a 20 game stretch.  Was that the real Josh or the one that struggled mightily his first two seasons, and has looked subpar this season?  Going to find out soon enough. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

I think the big issue is the contract. If 2019 Josh had returned on the original contract it maybe wouldn't be so concerning (though disappointing) as we'd have some room to manouver. Now we've given it to him it's getting to the point where we cannot afford him to regress too far, otherwise we'll be in trouble until the contract runs out.

Everyone has issues and bad days, that's just a case of being human. But Josh only reached perhaps his minimum level, after six quarters of play, in the second half of today's game and even then he looked shaky; the quality that was there is missing.

I do wonder whether they're perhaps over-coaching Josh to a degree - it's almost as though they're trying to manage his arm which makes sense; too many deep throws have been off target. But it seems to be effecting basic throws; throws which he would have completed without hesitation last year. Add in defenses maybe working out our routes and plays plus a porous O-Line, this all results in a perfect storm. It's something we and he can work through, though.

We won’t be in trouble, Allen has said he will restructure his contract so Beane can add more talent

• Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

I don't feel like this is cataclysmic stuff. He's a very young player. But he had to take the next step to compete against KC or Tampa. Otherwise this is a wild card squad. So while it's early, this is indecision we are seeing. Complete opposite of guy that is ready to take the next step. Long season, I get it. But are you putting your money on Josh matching last last year right now? Not better, just matching? 

So we just beat the team that many think is our main competition for the division 35-0 with Josh playing poorly and we’re a Wild Card team if Josh keeps playing this way?

Where is the logic? 

9 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

The latter is an extreme minority. The rest are simply trying to confirm priors and act smug. 

You're sure angry about a win and having one of the best young qbs in the league. 

Plenty of others? Like who? Would put him right up with Mahomes, Rogers, Wilson and perhaps Brady still among my top-10. 

We're talking about how he's playing so far this season. He has not been good. Not anywhere close to top 10.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

The latter is an extreme minority. The rest are simply trying to confirm priors and act smug. 

You're sure angry about a win and having one of the best young qbs in the league. 

Plenty of others? Like who? Would put him right up with Mahomes, Rogers, Wilson and perhaps Brady still among my top-10. 

Confirm priors and act smug? Nope, just worried our QB looks like a rookie of late. I think that's fair. 

I'm happy we won, as for the second comment, you constantly evaluate the entire body of work. As of the last two weeks I wouldn't have him in the top 15. Last year, I probably wouldn't have traded him for anybody but maybe one player and even then I like him as a person so much I would probably pass on that. 

Again, depends on when you evaluate him. Last year, he goes in the names you mention. As of now, not top 15. Like our win and our loss last week, I still think you can evaluate between the lines and not just go 35-0 mic drop, anybody not on board is trolling. How Josh has looked bad is why this thread was posted. If he was just missing throws that would be one thing. He doesn't know where to throw the ball. That type of issue can linger. I don't know that it will or will not. I obviously sure hope it doesn't and we see more of what Josh looked like last year with his decision making.   

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

So we just beat the team that many think is our main competition for the division 35-0 with Josh playing poorly and we’re a Wild Card team if Josh keeps playing this way?

Where is the logic? 

Dude, there is only one playoff team in each conference that is not a Wild Card team.

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

So the Bills aren't going to miss the playoffs for the next 15 years before moving to Austin? 

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

We're talking about how he's playing so far this season. He has not been good. Not anywhere close to top 10.

Good thing there are 15 more games to go. Everyone needs to reeeeeeelax and stop thinking he's back to his rookie form. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Dude, there is only one playoff team in each conference that is not a Wild Card team.

Dude, you’re not understanding how the statement was phrased.

“We’re a wild card squad”… meaning we make the playoffs as a Wild Card team… instead of winning the AFCE. 

Get back under your bridge… 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

Confirm priors and act smug? Nope, just worried our QB looks like a rookie of late. I think that's fair. 

I'm happy we won, as for the second comment, you constantly evaluate the entire body of work. As of the last two weeks I wouldn't have him in the top 15. Last year, I probably wouldn't have traded him for anybody but maybe one player and even then I like him as a person so much I would probably pass on that. 

Again, depends on when you evaluate him. Last year, he goes in the names you mention. As of now, not top 15. Like our win and our loss last week, I still think you can evaluate between the lines and not just go 35-0 mic drop, anybody not on board is trolling. How Josh has looked bad is why this thread was posted. If he was just missing throws that would be one thing. He doesn't know where to throw the ball. That type of issue can linger. I don't know that it will or will not. I obviously sure hope it doesn't and we see more of what Josh looked like last year with his decision making.   

My point is that people here seem to instantly blame Josh for anything less than a Herculean effort without considering the billion other factors that go into a game affecting his play: 

• Atrocious line play, which I'm extremely disappointed in. Feliciano and Williams are probably out sooner rather than later
  • Weird playcalling. Went from all passing last week to a much more balanced playbook this week
  • Receivers not getting separation. We've played two good defenses back to back; Steelers are all-around great and the Dolphins have a very good secondary. Lets see how they do next week when we only have to worry about Chase Young

Has he regressed since last year? Of course, a little bit. But people here calling him a "mirage" and saying how McD made a huge mistake and we're screwed need to cool it. 

There are 15 games left. IDGAF about what happens in September. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Southern_Bills said:

It's week 2, team is 1-1 and even not at full speed still the best team in the division. Calm down, it's a long year.

Turn on some tape of JP Losman then send Allen a thank you note.

Awww. Why you gotta do JP like that? 😂