Josh Allen is looking a lot more like the 2019 version

Mikie2times

Again: a QB’s development - like most things in life - is rarely linear.  That’s just not how it works.  His line is not in game shape and you can tell it’s affecting his eyes, specially they’re dropping to the rush instead of the routes.  He’s still working out chemistry with a new WR.  Davis wasn’t able to play effectively today.  And maybe he’s pressing a bit too.

Wayyyy too early to worry about QB1.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

If we had won the game 35-21 and Josh had gone 30-41, 325 yards and 3 TDs. This thread wouldn't exist. 

We'd likely have a 'Fire Leslie Frasier' thread, maybe some more Tremaine hate. But we certainly wouldn't be panicking... because there was plenty of season left for the defense to get it right. 

There is plenty of season left for Josh to get it right too. Same with Daboll and the offensive line. We'll figure it out. 

I respect the criticism of this team by others, it certainly is warranted as Allen definitely hasn't been excellent and those criticisms are warranted to an extent...but for the love of God if you look at some of the post histories it's like some of you just want a participation trophy for writing "worst 35-0 victory ever, dolphins suck, we'll never beat the chiefs, ever."

Learn to enjoy a win. Discuss the faults sure, but stop with the 30 consecutive posts of doom.

If Allen had this stat line on 02/13/2022 and the Bills win the Super Bowl 35-0, would you still be complaining? 

Edited by Vertig0
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, McBean said:

That “baby” just got $150 million guaranteed US Dollars.

The excuses for Josh Allen are done. Forever. It’s put up or shut up.

While there are no excuses, it doesn’t mean that adjustments to the way teams treat QBs financially = QBs reaching their career peak any faster than they used to. In the end, wins are the stat that matters most. The team wins with Allen at QB. 

1 minute ago, Vertig0 said:

If we had won the game 35-21 and Josh had gone 30-41, 325 yards and 3 TDs. This thread wouldn't exist. 

We'd likely have a 'Fire Leslie Frasier' thread, maybe some more Tremaine hate. But we certainly wouldn't be panicking... because there was plenty of season left for the defense to get it right. 

There is plenty of season left for Josh to get it right too. Same with Daboll and the offensive line. We'll figure it out. 

I respect the criticism of this team by others, it certainly is warranted as Allen definitely hasn't been excellent and those criticisms are warranted to an extent...but for the love of God if you look it some of the post histories it's like some of you just want a participation trophy for writing "worst 35-0 victory ever, dolphins suck, we'll never beat the chiefs, ever."

Learn to enjoy a win. Discuss the faults sure, but stop with the 30 consecutive posts of doom.

If Allen had this stat line on 02/13/2022 and the Bills win the Super Bowl 35-0, would you still be complaining? 

No *****.  That's because this thread is about Josh's disappointing performance going back into last season.

Today was his day to get it together, and he looked terrible.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

It's week 2, team is 1-1 and even not at full speed still the best team in the division. Calm down, it's a long year.

Turn on some tape of JP Losman then send Allen a thank you note.

JP's tape would actually look pretty similar as far as the last 4 games. Athletic guy, poor accuracy, can't read the field. 

I don't feel like this is cataclysmic stuff. He's a very young player. But he had to take the next step to compete against KC or Tampa. Otherwise this is a wild card squad. So while it's early, this is indecision we are seeing. Complete opposite of guy that is ready to take the next step. Long season, I get it. But are you putting your money on Josh matching last last year right now? Not better, just matching? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Bills just win 35-0 & you want to dump on the guy who played a decent game? Take what the defense gives you. Defenses are dropping back playing a ton of coverage forcing passes to be short. Allen needs to hit the short stuff take those 3-6 yard gains and check into runs more. Once a defense is tired of getting death by a thousand cuts hit the play action over the top. Allen did hit Sanders early to setup an early TD. Where Allen struggled was trying to force the ball to Diggs and trying to hit bigger plays. To Millen’s point during the broadcast, Allen will get smarter and faster at recognizing coverages and hitting his checkdown earlier, and also checking into runs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Vertig0 said:

I respect the criticism of this team by others, it certainly is warranted as Allen definitely hasn't been excellent and those criticisms are warranted to an extent...but for the love of God if you look at some of the post histories it's like some of you just want a participation trophy for writing "worst 35-0 victory ever, dolphins suck, we'll never beat the chiefs, ever."

I actually posted last week that sky was not falling. I usually don't post anything "concerning" after wins. Yes, I would be more happy with that stat line because to beat KC Allen needs to be as good as Mahomes. Rest of it won't end up mattering as Mahomes will turn any decent defense into swiss. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

With similar stats as Allen within those 4 years. Just proves SB are a team effort. 

Have to agree. Those teams were also some of the best defenses the Pats fielded in the Belichick era. Brady in 07 was quite different than Brady in ‘03. Anyway, using the best NFL QB of all time as the bar might be a bit of a stretch to make a point. 

I’m not even looking for Josh to “take the next step” whatever that even means. It’s hard to be much better than he was last season.

The part that’s concerning is that he’s erratic throwing the ball again. He’s overthrown a receiver wide open deep down the field for what should’ve been an easy TD. He’s underthrown guys, he’s tried putting too much touch on throws that require velocity. He’s just all over the place right now and looks to have lost a lot of the efficiency that made him one of the league’s best QBs last year.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Hated the int. That play wasn't there and he had time to move and find something else. He underthrew diggs on a should be td before half, but the timing was good. One to Mckenzie was late. Miami called a decent game here defensively but they got hammered on short fields.  The good news is, he played well in the 2nd half, we just didn't have the ball a ton. He shredded them on that drive to go up 21-0.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

I actually posted last week that sky was not falling. I usually don't post anything "concerning" after wins. Yes, I would be more happy with that stat line because to beat KC Allen needs to be as good as Mahomes. Rest of it won't end up mattering as Mahomes will turn any decent defense into swiss. 

Don't take my response personally. It wasn't really directed at you as OP, but more at some of the responses here and in other threads that were repeating the same doom over and over. 

I do appreciate the research, etc of your post and it certainly warrants discussion, but I will respectfully disagree regarding Mahomes. By everyone's definition, if Josh was bad the last 4 games, including last season, and our defense is THAT much better as to force a shut out, and multiple sacks with heavy additions to the DL, we're actually closer to bearing the Chiefs now than we were then. Again, hope the offense works it all out and then all of the stars are in alignment for a Chiefs ass kicking but... 

Same Josh. Better D = Better odds. 

Edited by Vertig0

30 minutes ago, Process said:

What a load of BS. 

He just got the most guaranteed money in NFL history.

No more excuses.

The next big name to sign always gets the most in history. Again, it doesn’t mean they will exceed or match their best year every season that follows. I’ll take a 35 point win. 

Let me add a bit more or clarity.  Can’t speak for anyone else that feels like I do but as for me:

1. I’m not complaining and I’m not spoiled. I was born in Buffalo and a fan since 1987.
2. I’m comparing Josh to the current standard, not against general numbers. Of course we won and of course he did okay, but that isn’t the point. The point is ALL of us are thinking this team is a SB contender and Josh needs to be great for that to happen with Mahomes in the way. 
3. It’s not because it’s early. Take a look at Herbert, Dak, Mahomes, Brady, Murray…their numbers are very good. Very efficient.

Again, not saying Josh is done or will stink up the joint all season. I’m simply saying, he isn’t playing like he did last year. Yes, we will see how the next few weeks play out. Yes, it may mean nothing and he can win MVP. None of us know, all I’m saying is I’m concerned. That’s all. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2

Right now nothing looks like it’s coming easily with our offense.

Josh has not been as accurate and we’ve seen some ducks, wobbly balls. The inaccuracy is dropping him into the 50% completion range again.

But our WRs are struggling to separate. There are no explosive plays to be had. That’s why Gabe Davis is important, he’s gets down the field, might have to hold him out next week and get him healthy. 

Our line has been suspect. 

This looks like the Colts game where we are hanging on all game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, McBean said:

That “baby” just got $150 million guaranteed US Dollars.

The excuses for Josh Allen are done. Forever. It’s put up or shut up.

Like it or not, he's our QB for years to come. He's a baller, a leader, and gets us wins. You can cry and moan about McD/Beane/Allen all you want, it won't change. 

• Eyeroll 1

26 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

8 of his incompletions today were to Sanders and Diggs who were covered by Howard and Jones.  Why does he ignore Beasley in such large stretches??  

Again, perspective.  2 elite corners that had elite days.  

I thought Josh had 3-4 bad throws I'm not sure I'd say the INT was one of them.

He's going to be fine.  His start is the least of my concerns.    

If those DBs had any hands, they would have had 3 more ints. I think what the bi concern is that Allen's bad habits have all resurfaced. THrowing into coverage, missing easy short throws, undr/overthrowing dep balls. I have no idea if fans in the stands have anything to do with it but the scary part is that no qb has ever progressed from year 2 to year 3 like Allen did. He had 1 amazing year and so far, that guy has not showed up. I'm sure he will, but he looks pretty awful right now.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Process said:

What a load of BS. 

He just got the most guaranteed money in NFL history.

No more excuses.

Hard truths aren't going to be well received around here.

I think he'll be fine as the season rolls on, but that's just hopes.  He's been very average through 2 games.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Like it or not, he's our QB for years to come. He's a baller, a leader, and gets us wins. You can cry and moan about McD/Beane/Allen all you want, it won't change. 

Have you stopped to consider that people are being critical not because they don’t like Allen but instead because we want to see him be the best player he can be for as long as he’s here?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2