Josh Allen is looking a lot more like the 2019 version

Mikie2times

Last 4 games:  98 of 169, 58%, 942 Yards, 6 TD's to 2 INT's, 80.53 Rating

2021: 47 of 84, 56%, 449 Yards, 3 TD's to 1 INT, 77.92 Rating

2020 Regular Season: 396 of 572, 69.2%, 4544 Yards, 37 TD's to 10 INT's, 107.1 Rating

2019 Regular Season: 271 of 461, 58.8%, 3089 Yards, 20 TD's to 9 INT's, 85.31 Rating

So what we have seen this season and over the last 4 games is at or below the level of play we have seen in 2019. Which looks right from what I observed, in fact, I would say this team looks very much like the 2019 team. Allen capable of making plays, excellent defense. Playoff team, but not consistent enough to be more.  

The question becomes what's going on with Josh? To me Josh looks confused and indecisive which leads to a breakdown of his mechanics and poor timing in our passing game. He doesn't know where he wants to go with the ball and that is concerning. Why isn't he reading defenses as easily as he did in 2020?

It seems it is not at all uncommon for QB's that have break out years to regress the next year once teams focus on taking away what they like to do with consistency. It was certainly a lot easier to communicate and audible last season. Whatever it is I don't think the answers are easy or simple. We will see soon enough.     

• Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 3

Actually I liked many of his decisions today. He threw the ball away like 5-6 times instead of taking dumb sacks like he used to. They still aren’t in sync yet, but it’s not unusual for offenses to not put up big numbers early in a season. Let’s see what happens the next 2 weeks where there is a big chance to put up back to back 300 yd games. Beasley isn’t getting as wide open as he was last year either. Teams have figured out how to bracket his option routes. 

Edited by Locomark
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

Last 4 games:  98 of 169, 58%, 942 Yards, 6 TD's to 2 INT's, 80.53 Rating

2021: 47 of 84, 56%, 449 Yards, 3 TD's to 1 INT, 77.92 Rating

2020 Regular Season: 396 of 572, 69.2%, 4544 Yards, 37 TD's to 10 INT's, 107.1 Rating

2019 Regular Season: 271 of 461, 58.8%, 3089 Yards, 20 TD's to 9 INT's, 85.31 Rating

So what we have seen this season and over the last 4 games is at or below the level of play we have seen in 2019. Which looks right from what I observed, in fact, I would say this team looks very much like the 2019 team. Allen capable of making plays, excellent defense. Playoff team, but not consistent enough to be more.  

The question becomes what's going on with Josh? To me Josh looks confused and indecisive which leads to a breakdown of his mechanics and poor timing in our passing game. He doesn't know where he wants to go with the ball and that is concerning. Why isn't he reading defenses as easily as he did in 2020?

It seems it is not at all uncommon for QB's that have break out years to regress the next year once teams focus on taking away what they like to do with consistency. It was certainly a lot easier to communicate and audible last season. Whatever it is I don't think the answers are easy or simple. We will see soon enough.     

I am having similar concerns.  He seems unsure and rattled

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

He was throwing off his back foot all day. He knows better.  

Funny but those back foot throws are how he has been taught to throw for longer balls so he takes mustard off it. It’s the same thing Rodgers does. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, IronMaidenBills said:

Allen is still a baby in the NFL. Compare Brady’s first 4 years to Allen and let me know. 

That “baby” just got $150 million guaranteed US Dollars.

The excuses for Josh Allen are done. Forever. It’s put up or shut up.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Vomit 7
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, Xwnyer said:

I am having similar concerns.  He seems unsure and rattled

I actually watched the 92 AFC championship game with Kelly in it against Miami the other night. He wasn’t very impressive either and that was after 8 years of professional football. Give the kid a chance to adjust. He just played a great defense and we scored 35 points. We didn’t score 10. Sorry he isn’t a fantasy darling every game. 

Edited by Locomark

6 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Actually I liked many of his decisions today. He threw the ball away like 5-6 times instead of taking dumb sacks like he used to. They still aren’t in sync yet, but it’s not unusual for offenses to not put up big numbers early in a season. Let’s see what happens the next 2 weeks where there is a big chance to put up back to back 300 yd games. Beasley isn’t getting as wide open as he was last year either. Teams have figured out how to bracket his option routes. 

I agree with you, he is not in sync right now with ANY of the recievers, much less the offense. Second half he was much better and I think by week 5 he will be at 2020 level. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, McBean said:

That “baby” just got $150 million guaranteed US Dollars.

The excuses for Josh Allen are done. Forever. It’s put up or shut up.

It doesn’t matter how much he got paid. He’s here, he will be on this team for many years to come. He will figure it out eventually. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1