Greg Rousseau/AJ Epenesa are going to be elite DEs. What a steal!

JerseyBills

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Epenesa and Rousseau looked excellent yesterday, there's no doubt about it.

What's even more wild is that they both seemed to straight up outplay Hughes and Addison.

Have to wonder if after this season, the vets might be on the way out. I wouldn't have thought so with Hughes, but with the way Epenesa and Rousseau are playing, and with what Jerry makes, they may force Beane's hand on the issue. 

The cool thing about both Epenesa and Rousseau is that they each had an elite season in college -- both were at one point talked about as early first round picks -- and both fell to the Bills largely due to poor combine showings. Having two really good, young pass rushers will transform this defense.

Now if only Basham can prove to be a player, too, by 2022...

I think Obada is still a good player too, very solid ‘4th DE’ although he’s on a one year deal. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

Milano was all over the place today

There's a simply reality here.   Milano is an excellent linebacker, and the Bills know how to use him.   The Bills understood that when they ponied up to sign him.  

But there's a parallel reality, and that's Edmunds.   Look at video of Milano's sack.  He comes pouring in from Brissett's right side.  Brissett sees Milano and looks to escape left.   Edmunds is right there, so Brissett tries to escape up the middle.  Edmunds forced Brissett right into MIlano's arms.   

Those two guys prowling all around are a real problem for defenses.   And now they've added Rousseau, who's prowling in the same way.  And that's who Hyde and Poyer are, too.  The Bills are filling the field with guys who make tackles all over the place.  

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

Not too sure what is imaginary about snap counts.  Vs Pitt Hughes got 33, AJ 19.

They got equal snaps this last game, but AJ's mostly came with the second stringers late in the game.

I think the biggest issue with Epenesa is missed tackles. The guy legitimately should have had 3 sacks yesterday, yet here is he on Monday with goose eggs in every category.

Pressure and QB hits is great if your combining them with TFL and Sacks, otherwise they just look like participation trophies. 

How many times have we seen a DE apply great pressure or even contact the QB to just see him not finish the play and the QB throw a completion? 

Epenesa had a good game, but should have had a great game. All the same, the future looks very bright with him and Groot.

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

There's a simply reality here.   Milano is an excellent linebacker, and the Bills know how to use him.   The Bills understood that when they ponied up to sign him.  

But there's a parallel reality, and that's Edmunds.   Look at video of Milano's sack.  He comes pouring in from Brissett's right side.  Brissett sees Milano and looks to escape left.   Edmunds is right there, so Brissett tries to escape up the middle.  Edmunds forced Brissett right into MIlano's arms.   

Those two guys prowling all around are a real problem for defenses.   And now they've added Rousseau, who's prowling in the same way.  And that's who Hyde and Poyer are, too.  The Bills are filling the field with guys who make tackles all over the place.  

Edmunds is starting to feel like the Star Lotulelie of the LBs.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

image.png.e06112a9d01c378d99150d25fccef87d.png

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Edmunds is starting to feel like the Star Lotulelie of the LBs.

I was going to compare Edmunds to Chris Kelsay. Clearly liked by the staff with many fans (or at least vocal posters) wondering why he is around.

2 hours ago, Reader said:

I was going to compare Edmunds to Chris Kelsay. Clearly liked by the staff with many fans (or at least vocal posters) wondering why he is around.

As one of the vocal posters, even I wouldn't go so far as to compare Edmunds to Kelsay.  As much as I gave him crap for last year his second half of 2019 was excellent football.  Maybe that is why it stings so much.  He could be our Ray Lewis but he is just not there.  Not giving up hope just anayzinf what I see on the field each week.  

5 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I think the biggest issue with Epenesa is missed tackles. The guy legitimately should have had 3 sacks yesterday, yet here is he on Monday with goose eggs in every category.

Pressure and QB hits is great if your combining them with TFL and Sacks, otherwise they just look like participation trophies. 

How many times have we seen a DE apply great pressure or even contact the QB to just see him not finish the play and the QB throw a completion? 

Epenesa had a good game, but should have had a great game. All the same, the future looks very bright with him and Groot.

Gee,,,, Do you think that he missed the tackle on the fish QB early in the game?  Asking for a friend.

7 hours ago, uninja said:

Watching them drop Rousseau into coverage was interesting, he's got the speed and length to do it and for DCs to potentially have to worry about that is another interesting wrinkle.

Zimmer just has an insane motor, there was multiple plays where a RB or WR would break free for a gain and Zimmer would be the first one there chasing the guy down. For a DT that's pretty bonkers.

...and he can use that to chase down the mobile QB's dancing around the pocket.  Maybe not get them, but he will take a second or two off their time to survey downfield.

I am crazy high on Rousseau after these two weeks. He's looking patient, powerful, and incredibly dangerous.

Epenesa got crazy pressures against the Dolphins, but I want to see that more for me to be completely sold on him.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Maynard said:

Greg is so freakishly long that if he’s not doubled it’s a huge problem. I love his slide/swim move into the pocket. His long arms and huge hands allow him to pull that off very effectively. He’s doing exactly what he did in college at Miami, except against higher level talent. 

I feel like--and of course, this is all speculation--there just aren't many humans out there as long and athletic as Groot, who can also hold the line against OLmen. I wonder if part of his early success is due to the fact that OL just aren't accustomed to his length, and honestly don't know how to handle a guy like Groot.

(also, Miami's OL wasn't very good, to begin with; we'll see how this pans out, over the course of the season, I guess).

7 hours ago, uninja said:

Watching them drop Rousseau into coverage was interesting, he's got the speed and length to do it and for DCs to potentially have to worry about that is another interesting wrinkle.

Zimmer just has an insane motor, there was multiple plays where a RB or WR would break free for a gain and Zimmer would be the first one there chasing the guy down. For a DT that's pretty bonkers.

Rousseau might be a good defender of TEs.

Zimmer was just plowing through defenders this game.

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Rousseau might be a good defender of TEs.

ever watch his tape from high school when he was a wide receiver? As he becomes a vested veteran there’s some interesting specialty situations where he could contribute - Hail Mary defense for instance.

A couple times yesterday they dropped Rousseau into the flat and he was there to clean up on the sack when Brissett thought he had room to run out of the pocket. You see all this open space in front of the QB and then suddenly Rousseau explodes into the picture and pulls him to the ground. It takes incredible athleticism and instincts to play that style, and Rousseau has both. I think that will work really well against Mahomes too. Drop Rousseau into the window where Kelce would typically sit, and if Mahomes tries to run out of the pocket chase him down. We may have hit on a really special talent at DE and I don't think it's fully sunk in for Bills fans how important that is.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

A couple times yesterday they dropped Rousseau into the flat and he was there to clean up on the sack when Brissett thought he had room to run out of the pocket. You see all this open space in front of the QB and then suddenly Rousseau explodes into the picture and pulls him to the ground. It takes incredible athleticism and instincts to play that style, and Rousseau has both. I think that will work really well against Mahomes too. Drop Rousseau into the window where Kelce would typically sit, and if Mahomes tries to run out of the pocket chase him down. We may have hit on a really special talent at DE and I don't think it's fully sunk in for Bills fans how important that is.

There definitely seems to be a tweak in the way the front 6 are lining up and playing.  I likey.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

I feel like--and of course, this is all speculation--there just aren't many humans out there as long and athletic as Groot, who can also hold the line against OLmen. I wonder if part of his early success is due to the fact that OL just aren't accustomed to his length, and honestly don't know how to handle a guy like Groot.

(also, Miami's OL wasn't very good, to begin with; we'll see how this pans out, over the course of the season, I guess).

I would agree. He’s a bit of a freak in size. I’m not sure what an opposing OL-man does to counter that. Once Greg gets his hands into the shoulder/chest with those long arms and pushes the pocket there is trouble. But you’re right, Miami’s o-line might be trash. 

• Agree 1