Greg Rousseau/AJ Epenesa are going to be elite DEs. What a steal!

JerseyBills

This coaching staff will refuse to trust AJ.  The guy has barely played in these first two games when it mattered.

Instead, we get to watch Hughes look overweight, slow, and old.  Hughes has not been good this year, yet still gets a ton of snaps.  Addison has looked a lot better than Hughes.

Epenesa and Rousseau looked excellent yesterday, there's no doubt about it.

What's even more wild is that they both seemed to straight up outplay Hughes and Addison.

Have to wonder if after this season, the vets might be on the way out. I wouldn't have thought so with Hughes, but with the way Epenesa and Rousseau are playing, and with what Jerry makes, they may force Beane's hand on the issue. 

The cool thing about both Epenesa and Rousseau is that they each had an elite season in college -- both were at one point talked about as early first round picks -- and both fell to the Bills largely due to poor combine showings. Having two really good, young pass rushers will transform this defense.

Now if only Basham can prove to be a player, too, by 2022...

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

This coaching staff will refuse to trust AJ.  The guy has barely played in these first two games when it mattered.

Instead, we get to watch Hughes look overweight, slow, and old.  Hughes has not been good this year, yet still gets a ton of snaps.  Addison has looked a lot better than Hughes.

This board will continue to refuse to trust your imaginary crystal ball that doesn’t really exist.  

Instead, we get to ignore you.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

What's even more wild is that they both seemed to straight up outplay Hughes and Addison.

Have to wonder if after this season, the vets might be on the way out. I wouldn't have thought so with Hughes, but with the way Epenesa and Rousseau are playing, and with what Jerry makes, they may force Beane's hand on the issue. 

The cool thing about both Epenesa and Rousseau is that they each had an elite season in college -- both were at one point talked about as early first round picks -- and both fell to the Bills largely due to poor combine showings. Having two really good, young pass rushers will transform this defense.

Jerry Hughes is on the last year of his contract. Addison's contract voids 23 days before the 2022 season, with a cap hit of $2million (part of his restructure deal).

Basically neither is under contract in 2022.

If AJ and Groot can keep improving, very little chance one or both are on the roster in 2022. This should help the cap situation overall and free up some room to resign Taron Johnson and/or maybe Levi Wallace.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

This board will continue to refuse to trust your imaginary crystal ball that doesn’t really exist.  

Instead, we get to ignore you.

Not too sure what is imaginary about snap counts.  Vs Pitt Hughes got 33, AJ 19.

They got equal snaps this last game, but AJ's mostly came with the second stringers late in the game.

Edited by Back2Buff

5 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Not too sure what is imaginary about snap counts.  Vs Pitt Hughes got 33, AJ 19.

They got equal snaps this last game, but AJ's mostly came with the second stringers late in the game.

So you say as AJE has proven to play better his snap count has gone up? Interesting. 

• Haha (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Well, one commentator I heard after the game, I don't recall who, said that Tua's injury could open back the door for the Deshaun Watson talk with the Fishes. So his big hit could indeed come back to bite the Bills in the butt...

As long as the Dolphins oline is so bad, it won’t matter who is back there at QB.

15 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Groot is doing a great job shedding blocks and is fantastic at setting the edge, then taking down the runner, genuinely impressive for a young player, forget about the fact he didn’t play last year and is up against NFL competition now.  He’s been a difference maker. 

AJE, looking really good, more flash than I expected this year, he’s LOOKING like he could be the best DE on the team for now (I think Groot will own that title), it’s an impressive transformation.

Just being real Addison is looking really good early in the year, which he did last year too, hope he can keep it going all year.

Groot getting dropped into zone coverage is impressive to watch. And he has looked really good as a run defender as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

Watching them drop Rousseau into coverage was interesting, he's got the speed and length to do it and for DCs to potentially have to worry about that is another interesting wrinkle.

Zimmer just has an insane motor, there was multiple plays where a RB or WR would break free for a gain and Zimmer would be the first one there chasing the guy down. For a DT that's pretty bonkers.

• Like (+1) 8

18 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

While we fans live and die with each week’s game, coaches have long term strategies.  That includes putting young players in position to succeed, and regulating playing time.  I would lean toward that being the case here. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Epenesa is basically splitting snaps with Hughs and Addison.  I’d like to see him get closer to Groot’s snap count but a nice rotation is a good problem to have. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

Epenesa is basically splitting snaps with Hughs and Addison.  I’d like to see him get closer to Groot’s snap count but a nice rotation is a good problem to have. 

The snap count for this past game is misleading because AJE played like the last 10 or snaps on D, when the game was out of hand.  AJE should not be getting pretty much half his total game snaps, after the game is over.  He has the potential to have an impact from the first snap of the game.

36 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Imaginary is you talking about the future like you know what will happen.  As Aj improves, his snap count will grow.  That is what my crystal ball is telling me.  I don’t see any of our DEs playing 80% of the snaps.  Maybe ever.  McD likes the rotation to keep bodies fresh and healthy 

21 minutes ago, Chuck Schick said:

While we fans live and die with each week’s game, coaches have long term strategies.  That includes putting young players in position to succeed, and regulating playing time.  I would lean toward that being the case here. 

Agreed. Good post. Rookies still hit a wall and playing Addison and Hughes on lowrr snap counts will keep them fresher as the season wears on.

• Like (+1) 3

17 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would love it if one of our media types would do a piece on who is playing where, how much on the OL

The big surprise to me on the inactives was Harrison Phillips.  But, even with Star out, he only played 36% of the snaps last week.

Zimmer saw 40%, Butler saw 50%, and Big Ed saw 62%.  Obada had 26% and pretty sure I saw him playing inside at DT at times.

I wonder if this is a "healthy scratch but not really" situation where he isn't on the injury report but is still needing to work his way back from the knee?

Otherwise, it's looking bad for Mr. Horrible; either Butler or Zimmer or both have jumped him on the depth chart.

Yes,  we can be sure he is rested and fully healed.  A luxury,

34 minutes ago, uninja said:

Watching them drop Rousseau into coverage was interesting, he's got the speed and length to do it and for DCs to potentially have to worry about that is another interesting wrinkle.

Zimmer just has an insane motor, there was multiple plays where a RB or WR would break free for a gain and Zimmer would be the first one there chasing the guy down. For a DT that's pretty bonkers.

He is just the thing to help chase down those shifting running quarterbacks.  He will take away that extra whole second that they have to set and throw after scrambling.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Logic said:

On the bold. It is absolutely both Addison and Hughes's last year. Both contracts will be up and I dont see us renewing either.

I'm confident Basham will develop. And if all he even becomes is a role player, it will be huge. To have Rousseau, Epenesa, and Basham all contributing is a big win for Beane.

Our DE's are

Addison & Hughes ......................... Both of these fellows will not be on the team next year (one might be that is)  and one might be traded during this season if the rookies develop .

Epnesea & Rosseau.........................These are the starting defensive ends by the second half of this season and will be next year's starters

Basham & Obada(resign)................These are next year's rotational defensive ends. They will be used on occasion as interior D-linemen on passing downs against mobile QB's

Brian Cox & Mike Love & XXX........These are development prospects that might bounce up from the practice squad to cover for injuries.

We will probably go with 5 roster DE's next year.  They will not keep expensive veterans because $$ will be need to keep other core players and for upgrades at CB, OL and LB.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Our DE's are

Addison & Hughes ......................... Both of these fellows will not be on the team next year and one might be traded during this season if the rookies develop .

Epnesea & Rosseau.........................These are the starting defensive ends by the second half of this season and will be next year's starters

Basham & Obada(resign)................These are next year's rotational defensive ends. They will be used on occasion as interior D-linemen on passing downs against mobile QB's

Brian Cox & Mike Love & XXX........These are development prospects that might bounce up from the practice squad to cover for injuries.

We will probably go with 5 roster DE's next year.  They will not keep expensive veterans because $$ will be need to keep other core players and for upgrades at CB, OL and LB.

Thanks. Nice, clean way of looking at the present and future.

I'll just add one thing: I wish the Bills had kept Daryl Johnson and jettisoned Addison. I understand why they didn't, and I realize that the cap implications of doing so would not have been great. Still, it seemed he was FINALLY starting to make defensive contributions that matched those he was making on special teams. It's tough to choose between the present and the future, and clearly Beane and McDermott think the Bills' Super Bowl window is open RIGHT NOW. I can't argue. Still, it was a bit painful to see Johnson traded away, knowing that Hughes and Addison won't be here next year.

• Like (+1) 2