Some random observations

Simon

39 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The pass to McKenzie that was almost intercepted comes to mind. He had another to Knox, same exact result. Last week he had one to Diggs that he threw with touch and it allowed the DB to come back and break up the ball. So yes this is a recurring theme so far this year and I have to believe it has been coached into him because Allen has never seen a passing window he didn't want to throw a rocket into. My guess is someone told him touch passes give the receiver more chance at YAC and now he's trying too hard to loft it in there. My proposed solution is whoever told him to do that, tell him not to do that anymore. Simple fix.

I think you may be onto something there

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Not sure if it’s Josh or coaching but there were at least four throws where if he just gunned it like he normally does it’s probably a completion. But he tried to finesse a bunch and it backfired. NFL DBs are so fast, just gun it if you’re capable when they are open. 

Oh he still over-threw a ridiculous frozen rope to a wide open Singletary streaking down the sideline too.

He is best on throws he can put on a line but he needs to learn how to throw with the appropriate trajectory if he is to remain a top 5 NFL QB.........and while he put some more passes in harms way today he did under throw a pass to Diggs that he put good air under that allowed Stefon to come back and make the Bills largest pass reception of the game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Oh he still over-threw a ridiculous frozen rope to a wide open Singletary streaking down the sideline too.

He is best on throws he can put on a line but he needs to learn how to throw with the appropriate trajectory if he is to remain a top 5 NFL QB.........and while he put some more passes in harms way today he did under throw a pass to Diggs that he put good air under that allowed Stefon to come back and make the Bills largest pass reception of the game.

Myself personally, I think the way both K C in the AFC Championship and then the way the Steelers defended us on the opening game forced Daboll/ Allen to adjust vs Miami IMO. Allen does need to get better throwing touch passes. I'm sure he will. Josh Allen managed the game very well today IMO.. Daboll called a good game.

More positives for me then negatives...

Thanks OP 

Edited by Figster

8 hours ago, Simon said:

I know that and I've about reached the point where I don't care and would still like to see it.

He's not going to be out there having to pull all day or get out on a bunch of screens; he's got to block in-line and run passpro without having ot worry about getting beat laterally. This is not outside his skill set and the Bills are in real trouble at G right now.

Why not Ryan Bates?

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Edmunds.......72 blitzes and 0 pressures in 2020.

Klein.......first blitz of 2021....gets a pressure and near sack.

At some point people gotta' realize that Edmunds deserves a great deal of the scrutiny he gets.     Just too physically talented to not be making plays in this defense.

Bills 2021 front four is way better than 2020. Y’all gotta stop the Edmunds hate

9 hours ago, Beast said:

Tremaine Edmunds is a stud. End if story.

He is, but then he isn't. That's what makes him Incredibly frustrating to watch at times. You see his athleticism fly around the feild, then you watch the screen play in the first quarter, o lineman who isn't half the athlete edmunds is from 10 yards away open feild blocks edmunds into the next area code and gives up a big chunk play. He has every tool an athlete can hope for, I just want him to take that next step.

15 hours ago, Simon said:

The biggest problem with this offense so far is a combination of two factors working in concert to create one larger issue:

1) The OLine cannot sustain protection without help right now

and

2) Daboll wants desperately to take advantage of Allen's arm to hit chunk plays

You can work around either of those issues on its own, but when you combine them, things cannot work. Allen knows it too and he spent the entire first half with one eye on the defensive front; when Daboll adjusted downward in the 2nd half Allen instantly became more comfortable with the knowledge that he didn't have to hold the ball for longer than he was going to have.

I don't know what went on between McDermott and Frazier this week, but Leslie absolutely threw every appliance in the kitchen at the Phish offense today. That was the greatest variety of defense calls I've seen the Bills run in forever. Huge props for an exposed secondary holding it all together and giving everybody a chance to cut loose up front.

Speaking of the secondary, Dane Jackson played really, really well when he replaced Levi. He made at least 3-4 plays that Wallace never makes. I wonder if we've just witnessed a rejoined battle for the other starting corner spot.

Pray for Milano's health every Sunday morning because he's in command out there right now. I didn't agree with the big extension because I didn't think he can stay healthy but I hope he continues to prove me a fool.

This is a much better football team with Zach Moss involved in the game. He would have made a significant difference in a lot of down/distance situations against Pittsburgh last week.

Ed Oliver just rode a quarter horse through Miami and did it in about four different styles.

Feliciano was really bad again in the first half. He got a little better in teh second, but he's got to be flirting with his starting position at this point. I'd very much like to see what Spencer Brown could do to people at LG. 

Tremaine Edmunds is not terrible, but at this point he's not significantly better than Klein or maybe even Andre Smith.

Mitch Morse has been the best player on the Bills OLine so far.

Really good analysis. The idea of bringing a host of really fast dbs and Milano along with AJ and Rousseau firing from either end make this front scary. Edmunds value is stopping runs at the second level. Taron Johnson is so active and physical. Small wonder he makes as many game changing plays as anybody on defense. Feliciano did open that hole on Motor 's run. He is nasty and Josh's security guard for cheap shot artists. 

7 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Bills 2021 front four is way better than 2020. Y’all gotta stop the Edmunds hate

It's not Edmunds hate.........I think he's a very talented player.........what I hate is that they put him at a devalued position like MLB that a 2017 Preston Brown or a current AJ Klein or Tyrel Dodson-level talent could man quite adequately.   It's been a misuse of talent that is about to become a misuse of talent and cap space.     I'd also hate Stefon Diggs at RB,  Jordan Poyer at boundary CB or Matt Milano at DT.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Fixxxer said:

Someone needs to remind Edmunds he's 6-5, 250 pounds, he often plays small and lacks aggresiveness in his game. Maybe he finishes the year taking that big step but it's not looking likely. 

To quote Gregg Popovich, "I want some nasty" out of him. 

That’s where I’ve been on Edmunds for a long time. Our staff coached him out of his college habit of jumping into the offensive line before dxing plays but whatever whoopass he might otherwise have possessed left with that. I’d send him a bag of broken glass to chew on before games but the USPS wouldn’t like it.

Frazier certainly got a lot out of their read on the Fish blocking scheme that left us 8 or 9 free outside  rushers before they adjusted.

It won’t be surprising to see more teams sacrifice returns on punts in favor of sending extra bodies for the block. Not only does it seem to take forever for us to get the punt in the air but our P has an “unusually” low contact point on his kicks.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/19/2021 at 4:58 PM, Beast said:

Tremaine Edmunds is a stud. End if story.

He might be , I have no idea as I don’t personally know him.   If he is one, it’s certainly not on a football field!  Softest 6’5” mlb I have ever watched of  years of watching the NFL. ( that might even effect the off the field stuff! LoL!) He is a finesse guy.  Thought it might change as he added muscle mass under nfl training.  I don’t see it. I still see linemen 10 yds downfield blocking on a screen and pushing him 10 more yards and flattening him!  ( against Pittsburgh) At this point he is physically what he is as it’s unlikely his body will legally add much more muscle mass.  He might be great mentally too.  But unfortunately football is just not a mental game.  Our d did not fall off last year when he was out ( may have been worse as he nurtured his shoulder) and it certainly didn’t fall off In the second half.  Klein held up well, as did the others.   Milano is the real inspiration and leader with both physical and intelligent play.  How can a guy his size make repeated hits that separate guys from the ball and I can’t remember even one really significant time Edmunds has done that.  They are so enamored with his size , they give him leeway with results.   He is not a big play guy, can’t catch the ball , and he just is not “impactful”.  We suffer if milano goes down , not when Edmunds is out. I would be looking next year to replace him if you get a shot at the right guy in the draft. Good guy, avg mlb/lb IN THIS SYSTEM AS HE IS USED.   If they turned him into an edge rusher , I think he would be a totally different and impactful player.  Maybe Buffalo is not the system for him if they can’t find ways to make a naturally gifted guy like him significant.  And I don’t want to hear the pro bowl argument, we all know it is significantly a popularity award.   

On 9/19/2021 at 7:19 PM, Iiiiiiiiive Got a Feeeelin said:

completely down to agree to disagree but i do have to ask is there anything specific you can point to film wise disproving the critiques of 49?  ive seen a decent amount of him getting blown off plays et cet...

I isolated Edmunds from the PIT game and posted my findings (currently on page 2).  He's not as bad as you think, but you blame him for the missed INT, so you will likely disagree with my analysis.  I was also an Edmunds hater, changed my mind after watching the PIT tape.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/20/2021 at 10:30 AM, AKC said:

Frazier certainly got a lot out of their read on the Fish blocking scheme that left us 8 or 9 free outside  rushers before they adjusted.

He produced a bunch of turnover opportunities from the sideline too that they almost capitalized on.

I didn't see it so much as a gameplan as it was Sean and Leslie's personal Skunkworks. I think they were so confident in their ability to handle that team that they just decided to run everything under the sun and put a bunch of new and younger players into as many situations as they could and see how everybody did. It looked like a freaking football lab out there.

You saw Oliver taking snaps at End, Groot dropping into a mess of different zones, Star getting lots of single gap opportunities, Epenesa being allowed to disregard contain responsibilities, Edmunds running different twists, multiple blitzes from both boundary and slot corners, lots of late switches to disguise coverages, etc. and it just went on and on and on and on. I can't recall an instance where they stuffed that large a variety of looks into a single game.

Whoever is calling Washington's offense must be sitting in a film room right now with a clicker in one hand a bottle of Tums in the other.

• Like (+1) 3

I thought this thread deserved a "bump" so Imma put this here.

Sal Capaccio neat moving diagram of Diggs TD

On that second play, I don't know why more of us aren't OMG OMG the Bills drew up a running play and executed it perfectly!  Whoooop whooooop!

I mean that play had it all: Dawkins and Feliciano holding a strong initial block on the left, Morse and Ford holding a block on the right, Knox coming across the backfield to block the LB, Feliciano getting out to the second level to block the LB, Sanders with a nice downfield block.

It was nice.

• Agree 1

On 9/19/2021 at 6:13 PM, BigAl2526 said:

On the stat sheet Star Lotulelei only had a single tackle, but may have had a lot to do  with Miami failing (though barely) to get 4 yards per carry from their running backs.  Likewise, Jerry Hughes and Mario Addison were relatively invisible, but I can't really think of any contributions they made that wouldn't have shown up on the state sheet.  I think they were just plain not very effective.  I can't really imagine a scenario where Hughes and Addison are with the team in 2022.  Oliver was not on the stat sheet at all.  He needs to start showing up.  

You appear to be confused as to what you think you saw, there are very many folks on this board who have stated  that EO played an excellent game,  And Addison did a good job in rotation. Watch the game not the stat sheet, as an example; AJ Epenesa kicked asz and wasn’t credited with much in the stat department…, 

Go Bills!!!

16 hours ago, Simon said:

It looked like a freaking football lab out there.

Star remains a fan lightning rod but it seems he gives the staff to use their shiny new toys to best potential. After I think the third hit on Brissett they had a nice shot of his face which seemed to say "this is going to be a looooonnnngggg afternoon"!

I agree with you we will need a more liberal application of Moss going forward if we want to open up the long toss for Sanders.

15 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

On that second play, I don't know why more of us aren't OMG OMG the Bills drew up a running play and executed it perfectly!  Whoooop whoo

I mean that play had it all: Dawkins and Feliciano holding a strong initial block on the left, Morse and Ford holding a block on the right, Knox coming across the backfield to block the LB, Feliciano getting out to the second level to block the LB, Sanders with a nice downfield block.

It was nice.

One other element is that McKenzie/threat of McKenzie pulls the deep safety far enough off the play to allow that crease Singletary exploits.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/19/2021 at 4:56 PM, Simon said:

The biggest problem with this offense so far is a combination of two factors working in concert to create one larger issue:

1) The OLine cannot sustain protection without help right now

and

2) Daboll wants desperately to take advantage of Allen's arm to hit chunk plays

You can work around either of those issues on its own, but when you combine them, things cannot work. Allen knows it too and he spent the entire first half with one eye on the defensive front; when Daboll adjusted downward in the 2nd half Allen instantly became more comfortable with the knowledge that he didn't have to hold the ball for longer than he was going to have.

I don't know what went on between McDermott and Frazier this week, but Leslie absolutely threw every appliance in the kitchen at the Phish offense today. That was the greatest variety of defense calls I've seen the Bills run in forever. Huge props for an exposed secondary holding it all together and giving everybody a chance to cut loose up front.

Speaking of the secondary, Dane Jackson played really, really well when he replaced Levi. He made at least 3-4 plays that Wallace never makes. I wonder if we've just witnessed a rejoined battle for the other starting corner spot.

Pray for Milano's health every Sunday morning because he's in command out there right now. I didn't agree with the big extension because I didn't think he can stay healthy but I hope he continues to prove me a fool.

This is a much better football team with Zach Moss involved in the game. He would have made a significant difference in a lot of down/distance situations against Pittsburgh last week.

Ed Oliver just rode a quarter horse through Miami and did it in about four different styles.

Feliciano was really bad again in the first half. He got a little better in teh second, but he's got to be flirting with his starting position at this point. I'd very much like to see what Spencer Brown could do to people at LG. 

Tremaine Edmunds is not terrible, but at this point he's not significantly better than Klein or maybe even Andre Smith.

Mitch Morse has been the best player on the Bills OLine so far.

Was too long to read the whole thing but your take on Edmunds is horrible and I'm glad you're just a mod & not our GM!

2 hours ago, r00tabaga said:

Was too long to read the whole thing

This is always one of my favorite whines, when people brag to the world at large that they're just too lazy or stupid to read the English language for more than 30 seconds. :lol:

6 minutes ago, Simon said:

This is always one of my favorite whines, when people brag to the world at large that they're just too lazy or stupid to read the English language for more than 30 seconds. :lol:

I'm like a West Coast Offense type of member. I like quick-hitters and more importantly ACCURACY and unfortunately you missed on both.

Always appreciate new opinions tho!

• Disagree 1

Really enjoy reading threads like this and agree with a lot of it.

The Bills O line is going up against a team with four first rounders on their D line in Washington. 

Hope Daboll works a game plan to get the Ball out quicker and not get Josh killed this week. Beas needs to see the ball a whole lot more often.