Taron Johnson extension. When and how much?

No_Matter_What

This thread is funny.

Next season the Bills back 7 cap hits include:

$16M Tre White

$13M Tremaine Edmunds

$10M Matt Milano

$10M Jordan Poyer

$9M  Micah Hyde

They already crossed the "too much $ invested in defense" line a bit when they surprisingly paid Milano.

They are reaping the benefits this year because the defense is loaded..........but having 8-9 highly paid defenders isn't reasonable/sensible cap management.   

Offense is a lot more sustainable.    They need to keep the offensive side of the ball stacked.

He made some huge plays down the stretch last year and has been solid so far this season. I think he will only continue to increase his value with his play.

Next year Hughes/Addison/Butler will probably be gone and free up $25 Million in cap space. The franchise tag is still probably off-limits since it doesn't differentiate between slot and outside cornerbacks and would cost over $15 Milllion against the cap with no way of restructuring it. We need to hope that he's willing to sign a team-friendly contract or we'll need to get a replacement early in next year's draft. It's week 3 and we're already shorthanded at the cb position.

Edited by Allen2Diggs
  • Like (+1) 1

On 9/19/2021 at 5:00 PM, Niagara Dude said:

Depends on how much,  we have to careful on how much you pay non-starters

Since we play nickel almost all the time, he is a starter Niagara unless we go big nickel.  I think we end up letting him test the waters and hope he wants to be a winner more than a dumb Mgmt team from a losing organization thinks they can convert him to an outside CB.  As a nickel CB, amd one of the better ones in the league, Beane will probably give him a nice offer and after this year the cap starts escalating.  If Beane backloads a little as the cap starts to explode in 2023 and really 2024, Beane will have the $ to afford him.  Milano was given a nice contract, but he could’ve been offered more elsewhere.

You can only hope Taron recognizes one of the reasons he’s so good now is he knows exactly how to play in this system, and with his teammates, and he may not have that elsewhere.  He was developed here. If he does except a little, and I mean a little less like Milano, that would be great.  Milano knows here he ha as real shot at a ring.  Taron may get that this year or get even closer (we make it to the SB, but lose in a tight one), and he still want s a ring.  Not that I want that prediction, but you get the point.

Nothing is happening though until the off season.  I’m sure there will be 5 more threads in February on this topic, just like the never ending Edmunds debate.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This thread is funny.

$16M Tre White

$13M Tremaine Edmunds

$10M Matt Milano

$10M Jordan Poyer

$9M  Micah Hyde

They already crossed the "too much $ invested in defense" line a bit when they surprisingly paid Milano.

They are reaping the benefits this year because the defense is loaded..........but having 8-9 highly paid defenders isn't reasonable/sensible cap management.   

Offense is a lot more sustainable.    They need to keep the offensive side of the ball stacked.

That’s scary when you line up those cap numbers like that. But if they let Edmunds walk, do you think they have the money for Taron?  The coaching staff probably has a different view, but I feel like Taron is more valuable than Edmunds given how much nickel they play. 

On 9/20/2021 at 1:35 AM, MJS said:

It's not the position for me as much as the player. I like Taron Johnson, a lot actually, but he has definately had some consistency issues over the years and also durability issues. And I trust Sean McDermott to identify players to replace him if he walks.

Bolded part: This.

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This thread is funny.

$16M Tre White

$13M Tremaine Edmunds

$10M Matt Milano

$10M Jordan Poyer

$9M  Micah Hyde

I know. Everybody funny. Now you funny too.

Yeah, no. I think it most likely Edmunds signs a new contract next offseason that shrinks ‘Top 5 pay’ for 5thyear option -as every new Beane contract does. As previously mentioned, Hughes, Addison & Butler are all but gone, regardless of any team friendly offer they may provide. Their replacements are on rookie contracts. Add in a substantial increase in Cap with the new television contract and likely another 1st Round DB, and we’re golden.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This thread is funny.

$16M Tre White

$13M Tremaine Edmunds

$10M Matt Milano

$10M Jordan Poyer

$9M  Micah Hyde

All true but the DL cap spending will take a nose dive next year.  If Taron wants to be paid as the highest NCB in the league he will

probably not get that in Buffalo but I don't see that happening.  The biggest variable is Hyde and Poyer.  Will the Bills want to sign

them to big extensions in their 30s?  

Beane could fit Taron's extension next year with a lower hit in 2022 and another consideration is whether the cap jumps more than usual

after the 2023 TV contracts.  I see it as "on the fence" right now with Taron.

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Bolded part: This.

I know. Everybody funny. Now you funny too.

Yeah, no. I think it most likely Edmunds signs a new contract next offseason that shrinks ‘Top 5 pay’ for 5thyear option -as every new Beane contract does. As previously mentioned, Hughes, Addison & Butler are all but gone, regardless of any team friendly offer they may provide. Their replacements are on rookie contracts. Add in a substantial increase in Cap with the new television contract and likely another 1st Round DB, and we’re golden.

So technically on defense they have difference makers in White, Milano, Hyde and Poyer tied up thru 2023........along with players we see have actually seen play well enough to project very high end potential like Epenesa and Rousseau.

On offense.........they only have Allen, Diggs and Dawkins as difference makers tied up thru 2023.

Even if you throw Gabe Davis into that mix the team is very lopsided in investment on the defensive side of the ball.

I'd like to see the Bills avoid going the Aaron Rodgers route where they short play the bulk of a superstar QB's career by not 1st round picks to support his side of the ball.    13 of the Packers last 16 first round picks have been on defense.   And one of those 3 on offense was QB Jordan Love.    And you know.......the best value of those 16 #1's was probably offensive tackle Bryan Bulaga.      

If the Bills go D in round 1 again in 2022 that would be 5 of the 7 McDermott-era first round selections having been expended on the defensive side of the ball.........and one of those was traded for Stefon Diggs and at $14M aav that came with a big veteran cap hit and the other was spent on Allen himself.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So technically on defense they have difference makers in White, Milano, Hyde and Poyer tied up thru 2023........along with players we see have actually seen play well enough to project very high end potential like Epenesa and Rousseau.

Poyer's current contract is up next year.

4 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

That’s scary when you line up those cap numbers like that. But if they let Edmunds walk, do you think they have the money for Taron?  The coaching staff probably has a different view, but I feel like Taron is more valuable than Edmunds given how much nickel they play. 

They are stuck with Edmunds cap figure in 2022...........it became fully guaranteed when they exercised it......so they'd have to trade him to move that money off the books.

I think the bigger issue with giving Taron Johnson a potentially huge contract is the fact that the offensive side of the ball is looking a bit patch-work.

Hopefully the oftensieve line that they've been so far gels into a unit that Allen and the RB's can trust...........but regardless, none of the interior are individual match-up winning players.

Their WR corps is deep but unlike some of the more explosive groups they don't have a 1B option behind Diggs........and Emmanuel Sanders is already talking retirement after this season and Beasley is getting long in the tooth and hasn't looked as dynamic so far either.

They are pedestrian at RB and shallow and suspect at TE.

The list of reserve players with big upside probably begins and ends with Spencer Brown.

Their offense will need to be addressed........there certainly appear to be more potential holes on that side of the ball for 2022 than on D right now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

On 9/24/2021 at 7:45 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

This thread is funny.

$16M Tre White

$13M Tremaine Edmunds

$10M Matt Milano

$10M Jordan Poyer

$9M  Micah Hyde

Bado is right here....everything except for "this thread is funny" because Bado has to insert his asshollness into the thread.   Its a good topic.

On 9/19/2021 at 4:43 PM, No_Matter_What said:

I wanted to start this thread last week and forgot to. Now after Dolphins game when the dude balled again it becomes even more interesting.

Taron Johnson is UFA after this season, but I guess we can agree that he is worth keeping.

Do you guys think it is possible that Beane tries to extend him now? If so, how much he can get?

Or do you think talks will start after season? I am not sure what is Beane's history with respect to midseason extensions.

And at what point do you think Bills will say that he is asking too much, let him go and will try to find someone similar late in the draft?

I am no expert but I would assume that extending him now should be cheaper since it would give him some guaranteed money which provides him some security in case he gets injured later this season. So I'd try to do it now provided he can be kept for reasonable money (which I am not sure how much it is).

Comes offseason. 4/40M with 25M guaranteed 

On 9/19/2021 at 8:08 PM, Estro said:

Great slot corners can make $10-$12M.

You can expect 4 for $40ish

Yeah.  Slot CBs are such a value compared to outside CBs that it makes a lot of sense to pay them their market price.  Not only is Johnson our second best CB after Tre, we have no CB of value other than Tre signed past this season.  So we should not only sign him, we should do it ASAP.  

Edited to add:  And, yes the 3rd CB is a starter in the NFL today.  The 3rd LB, not so much.  Teams that use an “Overhang” LB in lieu of the Nickel CB are the exception. 

Edited by BarleyNY

I think he deserves to get paid, especially if he continues to play like he has been doing, both at the back end of last season, and the start of this. I wouldn't like to speculate on the amount he should get, but I think (if he continues playing like he has) I would be happy to offer him around $8 million per.

I would also say that getting him done before  next year, frees up draft options, with CB being a possibility for our top tick.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

He played 100% of the snaps yesterday. He is as much a starter as anyone else on defense. I hope we pay him.

Me too. The kid has really been balling out there. We should be able to afford him as well. I don’t think it will break the bank by any means. Plus we are starting to see players not wanting to leave. They know they are on a winning team with a great culture and fan base. That’s a huge selling point. 

On 9/24/2021 at 7:45 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

This thread is funny.

$16M Tre White

$13M Tremaine Edmunds

$10M Matt Milano

$10M Jordan Poyer

$9M  Micah Hyde

Cap goes up and they have some older players on decent sized deals such as Hughes, Addison, Butler and Star that can be jettisoned. Long term they will have to make some tough decisions but if they want to keep Johnson (as they should) they will be able to.

• 2 weeks later...