Taron Johnson extension. When and how much?

No_Matter_What

15 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

I think Taron’s positional play is more impactful than CB2 currently.  Taron is so physical on the line, and has played well in coverage.

really liked his game over the last year and I hope we can bring him back 

Interestingly when Levi went out they targeted White a lot more.  I know he was covering their best WR but usually QBs target CBs with less experience or MLB.

6 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

I don't know if I'd want to pay him a lot.  He's had big plays but he's not much more than replacement level when you look at his full tenure with the Bills.

His full tenure isn't relevant. It's the type of player he is now and after the first 2 games, he's been very good.

I guess it depends on what the market turns out being for him. I'm sure Beane will have a number and not want to go over it, and if he walks, he walks.

But he isn't a MUST re-sign. Not the kind of guy you get in a bidding war for.

But he might re-sign with a team friendly deal because he likes being here.

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

I guess it depends on what the market turns out being for him. I'm sure Beane will have a number and not want to go over it, and if he walks, he walks.

But he isn't a MUST re-sign. Not the kind of guy you get in a bidding war for.

But he might re-sign with a team friendly deal because he likes being here.

I get that slot corner isn’t a “must sign” impact position like QB but guys like Taron that play with those instincts and aggression are hard to come by. He is vicious. And maybe McD and Frazier can coach up guys like the cavalcade of DBs that Belichick has done over the years, but Taron just works in this system and he plays hard.

At the same time we have seen a lot of these guys take bigger money with other teams only to fizzle out because the system made them. Who knows what happens here. All told I think you’re right. We will make an offer but we aren’t going to break the bank. If Milano, Poyer, Wallace are any guide we might be able to keep him on that team-friendly deal.

1 hour ago, Big C said:

I get that slot corner isn’t a “must sign” impact position like QB but guys like Taron that play with those instincts and aggression are hard to come by. He is vicious. And maybe McD and Frazier can coach up guys like the cavalcade of DBs that Belichick has done over the years, but Taron just works in this system and he plays hard.

At the same time we have seen a lot of these guys take bigger money with other teams only to fizzle out because the system made them. Who knows what happens here. All told I think you’re right. We will make an offer but we aren’t going to break the bank. If Milano, Poyer, Wallace are any guide we might be able to keep him on that team-friendly deal.

It's not the position for me as much as the player. I like Taron Johnson, a lot actually, but he has definately had some consistency issues over the years and also durability issues. And I trust Sean McDermott to identify players to replace him if he walks.

• Agree 2

Availability is probably his biggest risk, though he does have off games. Love his physicality and think his coverage skills have continued to get better with time in the league.

No idea about his market value so I choose to have blind faith that Beane gets it done for a reasonable contract, somehow. 

• Agree 2

On 9/19/2021 at 11:01 PM, JoPoy88 said:

Wouldn’t usually be saying this for a straight nickel corner but yeah resign him. The guy hits 50lbs above his weight. Taron’s a freight train if you give him 5 yards of windup. Don’t know how he does it, but I like it. 

I like that about him too.

Although his aggressive play also has gotten him injured.

• Agree 1

Taron Johnson is super underrated... He does so many things well 

When he gets hurt... The bills literally use 3 players to replace him 

Idk if we can resign him... Some team will offer him a fairly fat contact for a slot corner.

Which is a starting position in McDermott's defense 

3 year 30 million.. 22 guaranteed

Gives him an opportunity for another contact