Taron Johnson extension. When and how much?

No_Matter_What

I wanted to start this thread last week and forgot to. Now after Dolphins game when the dude balled again it becomes even more interesting.

Taron Johnson is UFA after this season, but I guess we can agree that he is worth keeping.

Do you guys think it is possible that Beane tries to extend him now? If so, how much he can get?

Or do you think talks will start after season? I am not sure what is Beane's history with respect to midseason extensions.

And at what point do you think Bills will say that he is asking too much, let him go and will try to find someone similar late in the draft?

I am no expert but I would assume that extending him now should be cheaper since it would give him some guaranteed money which provides him some security in case he gets injured later this season. So I'd try to do it now provided he can be kept for reasonable money (which I am not sure how much it is).

I like Taron, he’s a gamer. His value will be much higher to us than across the league imo. I think we would see another test the market situation where Beane has a value but will let Taron test the waters to see what he can get elsewhere. I would expect he won’t be back. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I wanted to start this thread last week and forgot to. Now after Dolphins game when the dude balled again it becomes even more interesting.

Taron Johnson is UFA after this season, but I guess we can agree that he is worth keeping.

Do you guys think it is possible that Beane tries to extend him now? If so, how much he can get?

Or do you think talks will start after season? I am not sure what is Beane's history with respect to midseason extensions.

And at what point do you think Bills will say that he is asking too much, let him go and will try to find someone similar late in the draft?

I am no expert but I would assume that extending him now should be cheaper since it would give him some guaranteed money which provides him some security in case he gets injured later this season. So I'd try to do it now provided he can be kept for reasonable money (which I am not sure how much it is).

Depends on how much,  we have to careful on how much you pay non-starters

I'd say no!

When you look at Bills team good likelihood they draft a CB next year fairly high as not too many other positions are in need.  O-Line and LB, but probably not starters so can go a little lower.   If they draft a CB in the 1st round, then guys like Wallace and Jackson both demote a step so one of them could fill that role.

As also stated not likely he'll get big $$'s elsewhere and Bills could always sign a FA too for that role.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I like Taron, he’s a gamer. His value will be much higher to us than across the league imo. I think we would see another test the market situation where Beane has a value but will let Taron test the waters to see what he can get elsewhere. I would expect he won’t be back. 

Spot on. A lot like Wallace. I wouldn't rush into a contract though. Like many players he plays better with a lead and teams are forced to pass. He's physical but does get toasted quite often.

• Like (+1) 1