Davis Questionable Vs Dolphins

RobbRiddick

I think Davis is a pretty good young player who can be a very good WR2 for many years to come.  I'm not a huge Sanders fan.  He's on what - his 5th team?  His 3rd team in a year and a half?  If he was that much of a world beater, teams would not be so quick to move on from him.  He's also 34 years old and has likely lost a step.  I don't think he's a bad player or a bad signing, but I see him more as veteran WR depth than a focal point of the offense.  He can play inside or outside, which adds great flexibility to the team.  If both were 100% healthly and I had I had to choose bewteen having Davis or Sanders play, I would go with Davis.  If Davis is out this week, I will be glad we have Sanders.  If Sanders ends up having a huge season, perhaps I will be proven wrong and I will be very happy if that happens.

5 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I think Davis is a pretty good young player who can be a very good WR2 for many years to come.  I'm not a huge Sanders fan.  He's on what - his 5th team?  His 3rd team in a year and a half?  If he was that much of a world beater, teams would not be so quick to move on from him.  He's also 34 years old and has likely lost a step.  I don't think he's a bad player or a bad signing, but I see him more as veteran WR depth than a focal point of the offense.  He can play inside or outside, which adds great flexibility to the team.  If both were 100% healthly and I had I had to choose bewteen having Davis or Sanders play, I would go with Davis.  If Davis is out this week, I will be glad we have Sanders.  If Sanders ends up having a huge season, perhaps I will be proven wrong and I will be very happy if that happens.

Josh has given a lot of receivers career years.  Maybe Sanders will get a career year too.  He isn't great but he is solid.  Better than a lot of other bums that came through here.

Edited by Scott7975

52 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Oh Boo Badol. not true
This is the best WR core , depth included Bills have had in decades

What does that actually say?

Their WR corps has been mostly total shite since they broke up the explosive 2002 group when trading Peerless Price.   The league has changed A LOT since then.

It's about their positioning relative to the rest of the league.    There are WR corps around the league with multiple superstar WR options AND also then depth to boot.   The Bills aren't one of those.    

Stef Diggs is their best WR since Andre Reed...........but the Bills WR corps as a unit are Steffy Diggs and the Pipps.

A star and a bunch of harmonized one-notes picked to run a Patriots style offense.   Not much speed,  very little RAC ability.  Also they are perilously thin at TE and they have no receiving threat out of the backfield.     

IMO the best WR corps they have had since Goodell legislated hitting out of the passing game(2010) is the one they started the season with last year.    Healthier, younger and more diverse because they had more speed.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Their WR corps has been mostly total shite since they broke up the explosive 2002 group when trading Peerless Price.   The league has changed A LOT since then.

It's about their positioning relative to the rest of the league.    There are WR corps around the league with multiple superstar WR options AND also then depth to boot.   The Bills aren't one of those.    

Stef Diggs is their best WR since Andre Reed...........but the Bills WR corps as a unit are Steffy Diggs and the Pipps.

A star and a bunch of harmonized one-notes picked to run a Patriots style offense.   Not much speed,  very little RAC ability.  Also they are perilously thin at TE and they have no receiving threat out of the backfield.     

IMO the best WR corps they have had since Goodell legislated hitting out of the passing game(2010) is the one they started the season with last year.    Healthier, younger and more diverse because they had more speed.

I appreciate your sincere opinions Badol

5 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Is tomorrow Jake “the snake” Kumerow time?

Let Josh feed them all. or whoever is open. even the  check downs and RB who come off the block 

please

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It is that way everywhere. Take Davante Adams off the Packers and a very good receiving core becomes substandard. that stud elevates everyone since every position gets to play one position down in the opponents depth roster. Rarely there may be a number two good enough but unlikely the three or four excels facing better coverage.

Edited by Coastie

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Bills fans overrate the quality of this WR corps.    Look around the league.   More WR talent everywhere than there has ever been.   The Bills are always a Stefon Diggs injury from being a mediocre or worse WR corps because they otherwise lack explosive qualities.    

Any team losing its #1 is going to take a major hit. 

But no, mediocre is absolutely overstating it.

Even without Diggs our group is strong. Sanders, Beasley and Davis is a good trio. Kumerow is solid for a #4. Take away everyone's top #1 and this group would be top ten in what's left. Probably well inside it. It's true they don't have a lot of pure speed there, but they have gone with great route-running in the belief it fits Allen's skillset. They've still got that with this group.

Allen would be just fine throwing to them.

Edited by Thurman#1

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Bills fans overrate the quality of this WR corps.    Look around the league.   More WR talent everywhere than there has ever been.   The Bills are always a Stefon Diggs injury from being a mediocre or worse WR corps because they otherwise lack explosive qualities.    

When it was just Cole and John Brown it was an above average group. Now it is elite when you add Diggs and Davis. Obviously if you lose the NFL leader in yards and catches it drops quickly

35 minutes ago, Coastie said:

It is that way everywhere. Take Davante Adams off the Packers and a very good receiving core becomes substandard. that stud elevates everyone since every position gets to play one position down in the opponents depth roster. Rarely there may be a number two good enough but unlikely the three or four excels facing better coverage.

Everywhere, huh?

Is it like that with Julio Jones and AJ Brown?

Or Tyler Lockett and DK Metcalf?

Or if it's just receiving threats.......what about Tyreke and Kelce?

Or with Mike Evans, Chris Godwin and Antonio Brown and Gronk?

There are a lot of teams with 1A and 1B.......and sometimes even a 1C or 1D.

The Bills have a nice WR corps but they are certainly in a different tier in terms of playmaking ability.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, msw2112 said:

Sanders was traded from Denver to San Francisco during the 2019 season for a 3rd and a 4th round pick with a 5th back because SF thought a quality WR to pair with Samuel was a missing piece that would help lift the team.  SF went 13-3 and got to the Superbowl that year.  Arguably Sanders 50.2 ypg and 67.9% catch % had something to do with that.

And a 3rd and 4th, even with a 5th in change, is a pretty good price to pay for a half-year rental of a 32 yr old guy who "teams are quick to move on from".  It's rumored the Bills had tried to trade for him but didn't want to pay that price.

After that, though, Sanders was a FA.  It's rumored again that the Bills were interested but traded for Diggs instead, so he chose to go to NO and have Drew Brees throwing to him instead of Jimmy Garappolo. 

I'm not sure what lay behind releasing Sanders this off-season, but they cleared $6.4M of cap by releasing him and I believe they were tight on the cap.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Utah John said:

The Bills have a very deep and talented receiver corps.  Davis is a burgeoning star and he's better than the people who will replace him if he can't go, but those replacements are very, very good.

Everyone says this. I don't see it. They are always hurt. Beasley too. Without Allen rushing, most defenses are competitive against them. I don't think they have what it takes to go against the best defenses and win the game on their own.

2nd week at Miami. That's going be a tough one. The game down there is always brutal regardless.

2 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Gabe's incredible fingertip TD catch vs Miami changed the outcome of that game last year.

And the Colts playoff game is an L without him.

Get well soon dude, you're our secret weapon.

I have a feeling will see Gabe in this game , not only that but he’ll catch a 24 yard TD pass 

15 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Don't get me started on oxygen.  Do you know it's one of the main reasons for the forest fires out west!

Oxygen, get to much it gets you high, not enough and you’re gonna die…,  

Now heat and humidity, that’s a different story altogether…, 

Go Bills!!!

• Haha (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think many go 4 and 5 deep as strong as the Bills. I went through in a bit of depth in the offseason. But there are a fair few more where I would say the #1 and #2 options are stronger.

My views on the Sanders acquisition are pretty well known.  

Davis is a big key going forward.........they didn't invest a high pick in him and they haven't otherwise grabbed any of the dynamic young talent from recent drafts that teams have been loading up on.    A few years ago the Bills WR corps would definitely be "elite"...........now its gotta' be considered a notch below that because of the lack of a 1B option.  What they do have that some others do not is a QB who can make throws that allow them to make catches on routes that aren't actually "open" for most QB's.   Davis has been the beneficiary of a few of those.   Allen has really elevated the WR corps above the sum of their parts.

22 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Davis is a big key going forward.........they didn't invest a high pick in him and they haven't otherwise grabbed any of the dynamic young talent from recent drafts that teams have been loading up on.    A few years ago the Bills WR corps would definitely be "elite"...........now its gotta' be considered a notch below that because of the lack of a 1B option.  What they do have that some others do not is a QB who can make throws that allow them to make catches on routes that aren't actually "open" for most QB's.   Davis has been the beneficiary of a few of those.   Allen has really elevated the WR corps above the sum of their parts.

Davis is definitely huge going forward. I thought he was a steal where the Bills got him. His natural talent is greater than that of a 4th round pick and the areas of his game game that needed further development were things thar are improvable. I fully expect him to develop into a high end #2. 

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Davis is definitely huge going forward. I thought he was a steal where the Bills got him. His natural talent is greater than that of a 4th round pick and the areas of his game game that needed further development were things thar are improvable. I fully expect him to develop into a high end #2. 

I'm starting to be a little concerned about the availability portion of the equation with Davis though.    But that will happen when a player finishes their rookie season limping off the field and then starts year 2 that way as well.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Agree 1