Bills have the ninth oldest roster

BillsFan619

According to the Buffalo News, the Bills have the ninth oldest roster. I wouldn't have thought this because they seem like a young team. When you think of the faces of the franchise, it's a little surprising that the Bills are one of the older rosters.

The oldest roster was not surprising. It was the Bucs.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/bills-have-ninth-oldest-roster-in-nfl-tampa-bay-is-the-oldest/article_e206975c-1593-11ec-a80a-dbfd7c7b57d3.html

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 1

I checked the roster and we only have 6 guys over 30.

I also noticed that a lot of our rookies are older than you'd think. Hamlin, Doyle, Brown, and Basham are all 23. I think our scouting department prioritizes 4 year starters and stays away from one-year-wonders (Rousseau being an exception)

Edited by Allen2Diggs
  • Like (+1) 3

And this means we are perhaps going to have a very interesting offseason with Jerry, Addison and Star coming off the roster. Will we resign any of them? I have no idea.... The Bills history under McD makes me think that if they can still play they will be back as McD hates "new." That's why we're always bringing in Panthers and at the same time, not a real lot from other teams. I'm hoping we go in a new direction personally. I want an impact player for the D if we can afford it. I hope we hope make all nine picks next season to rejuvenate the team. Of course, we'd have to draft fantastic and hope it is a deep year. We have a ton of free agents next year plus we have to decide on Ed O's Fifth year option.

The bottom line is though, the Bills could really remake the roster next year if they chose to....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2

1 minute ago, billybrew1 said:

And this means we are perhaps going to have a very interesting offseason with Jerry, Addison and Star coming off the roster. Will we resign any of them? I have no idea.... The Bills history under McD makes me think that if they can still play they will be back as McD hates "new." That's why we're always bringing in Panthers and at the same time, not a real lot from other teams. I'm hoping we go in a new direction personally. I want an impact player for the D if we can afford it. I hope we hope make all nine picks next season to rejuvenate the team. Of course, we'd have to draft fantastic and hope it is a deep year. We have a ton of free agents next year plus we have to decide on Ed O's Fifth year option.

The bottom line is though, the Bills could really remake the roster next year if they chose to....

Quick, name all the former panthers without cheating and looking it up. 

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks for this post.

Respectfully, I never thought it meant much.

I noticed the Chiefs are only a few spots "younger" than us. I think that good teams often have a balance of youngsters and veterans.

I'm guessing that Hughes, Addison, Star, Klein, Hyde, Poyer, and Emmanuel Sanders are the ones driving the overall team age up. It would be one thing if we really WERE an older team across the board, but I don't think that's the case. The Bills feel like a pretty young team who happen to have a few key contributors aged 30 or older.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

And this means we are perhaps going to have a very interesting offseason with Jerry, Addison and Star coming off the roster. Will we resign any of them? 

Considering that we're up against the cap, it wouldn't make sense to resign any of them. We drafted defensive ends back-to-back because we wanted to get younger and cheaper at the position. I expect the Bills to be pretty quiet in free agency for the foreseeable future.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Thanks for this post.

Respectfully, I never thought it meant much.

I noticed the Chiefs are only a few spots "younger" than us. I think that good teams often have a balance of youngsters and veterans.

I'm guessing that Hughes, Addison, Star, Klein, Hyde, Poyer, and Emmanuel Sanders are the ones driving the overall team age up. It would be one thing if we really WERE an older team across the board, but I don't think that's the case. The Bills feel like a pretty young team who happen to have a few key contributors aged 30 or older.

Thanks for your thoughts, Logic.

Yup, I totally agree that the Bills feel like a young team. That's why it was surprising when they came in as ninth oldest. When I first posted it, my thought was that the defense must be eeking that age up. And to your point in the post, it seems like that may be most of the case.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Considering that we're up against the cap, it wouldn't make sense to resign any of them. We drafted defensive ends back-to-back because we wanted to get younger and cheaper at the position. I expect the Bills to be pretty quiet in free agency for the foreseeable future.

Unless he really drops off, I hope they keep Hughes for a year or two longer.

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

It's going to be one of the deepest drafts ever! Alot of guys going back this year after covid stomped their plans out to enter last offseason! Usually Beane likes to move around alot, but I think we're much less likely to give up any picks to do so this coming year!

With Addison, Star, and Sanders not likely back next year that avg can change pretty quick. The core of our team are all either young or right in there prime. The older guys are the vets providing experience.

I actually think it’s a great mix. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TOboy said:

With Addison, Star, and Sanders not likely back next year that avg can change pretty quick. The core of our team are all either young or right in there prime. The older guys are the vets providing experience.

I think it's a great mix too. It's always nice to have veteran leadership for the younger guys.

It was still surprising though (at least for me) since the faces of our franchise are on the younger side.

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

Quick, name all the former panthers without cheating and looking it up. 

Butler, Addison, Klein, Obada, Williams. Think that is it on the current roster but we have had others.... Benjamin, Norman etc. 

Williams is the only one of those I'd call a success.

3 minutes ago, TOboy said:

They have actually gotten younger the past couple seasons..........McBeane's rosters have always been among the league's oldest.

Whether they get any younger or not probably depends on the highly invested-in young players they have taking another step.    If, for instance, AJ Epenesa keeps playing like he only deserves 40% of the snaps instead of 60% then they might need to keep (or buy) a veteran pass rusher etc......if he's a beast they can take a chance on a younger player to rotate with him. 

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

It's going to be one of the deepest drafts ever! Alot of guys going back this year after covid stomped their plans out to enter last offseason! Usually Beane likes to move around alot, but I think we're much less likely to give up any picks to do so this coming year!

Thanks for sharing, BillsShredder! I think this is an excellent thought considering what the 2022 draft could look like.

• Thank you (+1) 1

A. The difference between oldest and youngest teams is pretty small: youngest (25.1) oldest (27.0) so we are actually right in the middle of the pack

B. This takes into acct the entire roster. A more indicative stat might be average age for starters. 

C. This does not take into account Standard Deviation. Two teams could both be exactly 27 years on average, but one could be 100% of the players are 27 and another could have equal # of players from 21 to 33. Clearly the age profile on these 2 teams is quite different

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, TOboy said:

I think Hughes could also be on his way out

• Agree 1