Only one team in the SB era has won the SB after losing the season OPENER at home

njbuff

3 hours ago, TBBills said:

You are actually wrong... Check your facts and stop trolling. 

I took one quick look and found more than one team to lose opener and win Super Bowl. Don't know where these trolls get there "facts" from, but being wrong and posting it as if it's fact is a HUGE problem with certain people on this site. 

Quickly Giants 2011 lost week 1 and won the Super Bowl. Seeing that I found that quickly as my first search I can bet many more did this also.

Also the 2020 BUCS lost first game and went on to win the Super Bowl.... This is such bad research, trolling research.

Might want to try reading the OP again 

• Like (+1) 1

A more specific look at this question ...

How many of the 55 Super Bowl champions had a home opener as opposed to an away opener? You'd guess around 27, 28, right? Wrong-o.

Only 22. So now the pool of teams you're looking at is already down to 40% of all SB champs.

The 66 Packers

67 Packers

73 Fins

74 Steelers

76 Raiders

85 Bears

87 Redskins

90 Giants

91 Redskins

92 Cowboys

94 Niners

97 Broncos

98 Broncos

99 Rams

02 Bucs p

04 Pats

05 Steelers

08 Steelers

09 Saints

12 Ravens

15 Broncos

18 Pats

Those are the winners who had home openers.

So, we played a team that looks to be a very good team this year. If Roethlisberger's arm wears away as the year goes on the way it did last year, things will look different, but that was a very good-looking team we just played.

So out of the 22 SB winners that played home openers, how many played tomato cans?

67 Packers played the 5-7-2 Lions

73 Fins played the 5-9 Niners

74 Steelers played the 2-12 Colts

85 Bears played the 2-14 Bucs

05 Steelers played the 4-12 Titans

09 Saints played the 2-14 Lions

15 Broncos played the 5-11 Ravens

Out of the 22 teams, seven played teams that just sucked. That leaves 15 left.

How many of those 15 teams were mediocre, and thus quite a bit less difficult opponents than the Steelers?

87 Redskins played the 7-8 Eagles

92 Cowboys played the 9-7 Redskins

94 Niners played the 9-7 Raiders

98 Broncos played the 9-7 Pats

99 Rams played the 8-8 ravens

02 Bucs played the 9-7 Saints

08 Steelers played the 8-8 Texans

Seven of the 15 were just mediocre.

Leaving only eight SB teams that had opening day home games and played good teams.

66 Packers played the 9-5 Colts

76 Raiders played the 10-4 Steelers

90 Giants played the 10-6 Eagles

91 Redskins played the 12-4 Lions

97 Broncos played the 13-3 Chiefs

04 Pats played the 12-4 Colts

12 Ravens played the 10-6 Bengals a

18 Pats played the 11-5 Texans

And while there are a few scary teams there, there are also a bunch of pretty good ones that would be respected but not frightening.

So out of eight tough games how many would you expect a Super Bowl winner to lose, on average, at home?

One? Two? Three? Four?

In other words, the results are pretty much what you would expect. And all of those SB winners lost games. Specifically 2 (out of 14 that year), 1 (out of 14), 3, 2, 4, 2, 6, and 5 losses.

What week they happened in doesn't much matter. And the odds of it happening on opening week at home are just about what you would expect. It happens. Super Bowl winners lose. Just not too many.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

A more specific look at this question ...

How many of the 55 Super Bowl champions had a home opener as opposed to an away opener? You'd guess around 27, 28, right? Wrong-o.

Only 22. So now the pool of teams you're looking at is already down to 40% of all SB champs.

The 66 Packers

67 Packers

73 Fins

74 Steelers

76 Raiders

85 Bears

87 Redskins

90 Giants

91 Redskins

92 Cowboys

94 Niners

97 Broncos

98 Broncos

99 Rams

02 Bucs p

04 Pats

05 Steelers

08 Steelers

09 Saints

12 Ravens

15 Broncos

18 Pats

Those are the winners who had home openers.

So, we played a team that looks to be a very good team this year. If Roethlisberger's arm wears away as the year goes on the way it did last year, things will look different, but that was a very good-looking team we just played.

So out of the 22 SB winners that played home openers, how many played tomato cans?

67 Packers played the 5-7-2 Lions

73 Fins played the 5-9 Niners

74 Steelers played the 2-12 Colts

85 Bears played the 2-14 Bucs

05 Steelers played the 4-12 Titans

09 Saints played the 2-14 Lions

15 Broncos played the 5-11 Ravens

Out of the 22 teams, seven played teams that just sucked. That leaves 15 left.

How many of those 15 teams were mediocre, and thus quite a bit less difficult opponents than the Steelers?

87 Redskins played the 7-8 Eagles

92 Cowboys played the 9-7 Redskins

94 Niners played the 9-7 Raiders

98 Broncos played the 9-7 Pats

99 Rams played the 8-8 ravens

02 Bucs played the 9-7 Saints

08 Steelers played the 8-8 Texans

Seven of the 15 were just mediocre.

Leaving only eight SB teams that had opening day home games and played good teams.

66 Packers played the 9-5 Colts

76 Raiders played the 10-4 Steelers

90 Giants played the 10-6 Eagles

91 Redskins played the 12-4 Lions

97 Broncos played the 13-3 Chiefs

04 Pats played the 12-4 Colts

12 Ravens played the 10-6 Bengals a

18 Pats played the 11-5 Texans

And while there are a few scary teams there, there are also a bunch of pretty good ones that would be respected but not frightening.

So out of eight tough games how many would you expect a Super Bowl winner to lose, on average, at home?

One? Two? Three? Four?

In other words, the results are pretty much what you would respect. And all of those SB winners lost games. Specifically 2 (out of 14 that year), 1 (out of 14), 3, 2, 4, 2, 6, and 5 losses.

What week they happened in doesn't much matter. And the odds of it happening on opening week at home are just about what you would expect. It happens. Super Bowl winners lose. Just not too many.

I was going to come and talk about the small sample size and how we can't really get a statistically significant read on the situation. You did an excellent job explaining it.

In statistics, you need many data points to come to conclusions. 50 or so data points is not a high sample size, especially when every one of those data points has significant caveats to consider, like strength of opponent, weather conditions, injuries, offensive and defensive schemes, etc. They really can't be effectively compared to one another.

6 hours ago, njbuff said:

That was the 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who lost to the New Orleans Saints in their season OPENER at home.

Nine other teams have lost their season openers but went on to win the SB. All of those losses were on the road.

Point is, history is not on the Bills side when it comes to going on and winning the SB after their opening home loss to Pittsburgh.

What do you think?

If you seek out a way to ruin your day, you can 100% find it lol good grief bro I hope you didn't spend any time looking for this 😆😆

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Their lackluster approach to the off-season told me they weren’t really all in on getting to the SB this year…. Too many holes they ignored….. I expect playoffs but wouldn’t be surprised by a first round exit. 

Browns or Chiefs represent the AFC in the SB. 

Browns lost to the Chiefs……0-1 teams don’t make Super Bowls 

6 hours ago, njbuff said:

That was the 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who lost to the New Orleans Saints in their season OPENER at home.

Nine other teams have lost their season openers but went on to win the SB. All of those losses were on the road.

Point is, history is not on the Bills side when it comes to going on and winning the SB after their opening home loss to Pittsburgh.

What do you think?

I think stats like this matter unfortunately and you can't ignore historical context.

Had this game been on the road I don't think there would be as much concern but again, this was a home game and contenders are expected to find a way to win even if they struggle. Bigger issue is still how bad this team was throughout the game including completely collapsing in the 2nd half after having a 10 point lead and allowing 20 straight points by the Steelers.

The only way this game might not look so bad in hindsight is if the Bills go on to win something like 10 straight and look on par or better than they did last year and the Steelers end up being an elite AFC team. But I don't think the latter is going to be true since their offense is still a big issue (another head scratcher as to how we lost this game).

I think it means the Bills have a lot of work to do to change this stat. The stat means something.  The best teams win at home, especially in an opening game. Protect your turf. Every coach preaches this. Playoff teams rarely lose at home. Most are 6-2, 7-1, a few 6 seeds may go 5-3. (in the 16 game format) That doesn't leave a large margin of error for the rest of the home games.  That means playing winning or .500 ball on the road can usually get you in. 

I think the other reason this stat resonates is the championship game. You start dumping home games you are going to be a 2,3,4 seed if you are one of the elite teams in the conference.  If you are good, you are looking at a 5-6 seed and the road gets even tougher to the SB.  

That said, this week is huge. If the Bills don't rebound, it's going to be an uphill battle the rest of the way. I have confidence they will figure it out and take a road victory from the Fish. GO BILLS!

5 hours ago, TBBills said:

You are actually wrong... Check your facts and stop trolling. 

I took one quick look and found more than one team to lose opener and win Super Bowl. Don't know where these trolls get there "facts" from, but being wrong and posting it as if it's fact is a HUGE problem with certain people on this site. 

Quickly Giants 2011 lost week 1 and won the Super Bowl. Seeing that I found that quickly as my first search I can bet many more did this also.

Also the 2020 BUCS lost first game and went on to win the Super Bowl.... This is such bad research, trolling research.

Yo! Sparky... Sloooow down.  Both 2011 G'nts and 2020 Bucs season openers were on the road.  They are 2 of the 9 teams the OP cited as winning SB and losing season Opener.  Only 2002 Bucs lost @ home.

24 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

I think it means the Bills have a lot of work to do to change this stat. The stat means something.  The best teams win at home, especially in an opening game. Protect your turf. Every coach preaches this. Playoff teams rarely lose at home. Most are 6-2, 7-1, a few 6 seeds may go 5-3. (in the 16 game format) That doesn't leave a large margin of error for the rest of the home games.  That means playing winning or .500 ball on the road can usually get you in. 

I think the other reason this stat resonates is the championship game. You start dumping home games you are going to be a 2,3,4 seed if you are one of the elite teams in the conference.  If you are good, you are looking at a 5-6 seed and the road gets even tougher to the SB.  

That said, this week is huge. If the Bills don't rebound, it's going to be an uphill battle the rest of the way. I have confidence they will figure it out and take a road victory from the Fish. GO BILLS!

It really does not mean anything. If asked how many of the 22 SB teams who played at home in Week 1 had lost in that week, you'd probably guess two, three or maybe four. Probably two or three. This is a seriously unsurprising stat.

You're right that we have to change a stat set by that game. That stat, the one we have to change, is our 0-1 record. We'll have a chance to do that in two days. It's one loss, against an excellent team. While not thrilling, it's not a big deal.