Only one team in the SB era has won the SB after losing the season OPENER at home

njbuff

45 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Their lackluster approach to the off-season told me they weren’t really all in on getting to the SB this year…. Too many holes they ignored….. I expect playoffs but wouldn’t be surprised by a first round exit. 

Browns or Chiefs represent the AFC in the SB. 

FULL MAST.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TBBills said:

You are actually wrong... Check your facts and stop trolling. 

I took one quick look and found more than one team to lose opener and win Super Bowl. Don't know where these trolls get there "facts" from, but being wrong and posting it as if it's fact is a HUGE problem with certain people on this site. 

Quickly Giants 2011 lost week 1 and won the Super Bowl. Seeing that I found that quickly as my first search I can bet many more did this also.

Also the 2020 BUCS lost first game and went on to win the Super Bowl.... This is such bad research, trolling research.

You might want to read the original post a little more closely.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

You might want to read the original post a little more closely.

Nah I don't care for trolls trying to cherry pick bull####.

27 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Not to get into the weeds here but were those losses you cited at HOME? That was the key to the stat the OP reported. 

He only highlighted "OPENER" I know he is cherry picking bull#### and i don't care about that. Losing week 1 doesn't mean as much as some of these people WANT it to.

Edited by TBBills
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Their lackluster approach to the off-season told me they weren’t really all in on getting to the SB this year…. Too many holes they ignored….. I expect playoffs but wouldn’t be surprised by a first round exit. 

Browns or Chiefs represent the AFC in the SB. 

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493bsiut64m9io8qu1hj8a

• Haha (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Radar said:

It's just one game loss against a good Pittsburgh. But ,in my mind, this isn't a Super Bowl team anyways. We're a good team but not Super Bowl good.

Maybe we are just a Under the Radar team.

Giants were a 10-6 regular team, did not even win their division,  and beat the favored New England Cheats (regular season 16-0) in Super Bowl XLII.

Edited by Limeaid
double post
  • Like (+1) 1

To those saying it doesn’t matter, clearly it does matter statistically.

You have a 50/50 chance of winning your first game. And you have 52 Superbowls, of which only one team with a week 1 loss at home has won? 

I’d be curious if someone who didn’t get a C in Statistics could calculate the odds.

• Disagree 1

13 minutes ago, without a drought said:

No team from Buffalo has ever won the Super Bowl? Why even get your hopes up when the facts are right there in front of you.

Heh heh. I like this. It clearly tells everyone that history is against us. Nor has a team playing at a stadium named Highmark Stadium ever won one. Nor has a team QB'd by Josh Allen ever won one.

We're doomed!!!

The original stat is one of those types of things that people love to talk about. It looks impressive at first, until you realize that it's just not surprising at all. When you throw a bunch of conditions on a likelihood, you will get lower and lower results. The low results are more about the conditions of the problem than any kind of meaningful result.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TBBills said:

You are actually wrong... Check your facts and stop trolling. 

I took one quick look and found more than one team to lose opener and win Super Bowl. Don't know where these trolls get there "facts" from, but being wrong and posting it as if it's fact is a HUGE problem with certain people on this site. 

Quickly Giants 2011 lost week 1 and won the Super Bowl. Seeing that I found that quickly as my first search I can bet many more did this also.

Also the 2020 BUCS lost first game and went on to win the Super Bowl.... This is such bad research, trolling research.

If you understand what I said......

I said the team that LOST THEIR SEASON OPENER AT HOME.

Learn to read.

• Dislike 1

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

I don’t think it means much either, but it’s something to be aware of.

That's like saying you're not superstitious but still keep a rabbit's foot on your key chain, or that you're an atheist but still say a prayer sometimes just in case.

As has already been pointed out, it means literally nothing when you factor in things like road openers and quality of opponent.  It was just a bad one off game, it often happens early in the season.  The Patriots often came out slow before going on a run.

While the stat is interesting it’s more of a curiosity than a predictor. Sure, better teams tend to win their home openers but I doubt the Bills chances at a Super Bowl win would be any greater had they defeated the Steelers last Sunday. They’d be 1-0 but still a long long way from Championship glory. 

3 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

I see this roster as very competitive and will get to the playoffs, but KC or Tampa's defense would stop the bills offense cold.   Bills have no answer up front for the Chris Jones's and really stout front 7s of rhe NFL.    Not yet.  

Or maybe the offensive line had a bad game and plays better the week they pley the Chefs or Bucs. Or maybe they improve. I've mentioned this before, but we only have to look back at our team three years to find a six quarter start where the defense could not stop anyone on any drive and were by far the worst defense by any metric over that 6 qtr stretch. The remaining 58 quarters of football that season, they had the best defense in football (at least going by yardage) and wound up third overall. 

I'm wary of the phrase "[Team X] has no answer for [y]" because having watched football for so many years, it's clear that a team can look terrible in one aspect one week and better the next week against a team that is better at exposing that very aspect we're talking about. 

4 hours ago, njbuff said:

That was the 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who lost to the New Orleans Saints in their season OPENER at home.

Nine other teams have lost their season openers but went on to win the SB. All of those losses were on the road.

Point is, history is not on the Bills side when it comes to going on and winning the SB after their opening home loss to Pittsburgh.

What do you think?

No team that has lost once in a 17-game season has EVER won the Super Bowl. We're doomed!

Edited by thurst44