Only one team in the SB era has won the SB after losing the season OPENER at home

njbuff

That was the 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who lost to the New Orleans Saints in their season OPENER at home.

Nine other teams have lost their season openers but went on to win the SB. All of those losses were on the road.

Point is, history is not on the Bills side when it comes to going on and winning the SB after their opening home loss to Pittsburgh.

What do you think?

• Vomit 5
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Dislike 6

2 minutes ago, njbuff said:

That was the 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who lost to the New Orleans Saints in their season OPENER at home.

Nine other teams have lost their season openers but went on to win the SB. All of those losses were on the road.

Point is, history is not on the Bills side when it comes to going on and winning the SB after their opening home loss to Pittsburgh.

What do you think?

I think it means nothing

• Like (+1) 19
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

What do you think?

I see this roster as very competitive and will get to the playoffs, but KC or Tampa's defense would stop the bills offense cold.   Bills have no answer up front for the Chris Jones's and really stout front 7s of rhe NFL.    Not yet.  

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

What do you think?

You are actually wrong... Check your facts and stop trolling. 

I took one quick look and found more than one team to lose opener and win Super Bowl. Don't know where these trolls get there "facts" from, but being wrong and posting it as if it's fact is a HUGE problem with certain people on this site. 

Quickly Giants 2011 lost week 1 and won the Super Bowl. Seeing that I found that quickly as my first search I can bet many more did this also.

Also the 2020 BUCS lost first game and went on to win the Super Bowl.... This is such bad research, trolling research.

Edited by TBBills
  • Vomit 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

What do you think?

I think the Bills should tank season to get the #1 pick.

isn't that what you want?

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

What do you think?

It’s a meaningless stat that has nothing to do with anything p

It's one game and it was the first week of the season. The last couple of years we have played the Steelers towards the end of the year, when injuries are starting to catch up with teams. One game was against Duck Hodges and the other with their defense missing a few key guys. This year it was first week of the year and they were at full strength. Coaching and OL play cost us that game, as well as some untimely penalties. I still think we have a team that can compete with any in the NFL, but our guys up front are going to have to give Josh time. They blitzed on a very limited basis and our front couldn't handle 4 guys for most of the game. It was bad. Let's see where this team is at in December because they usually tend to get stronger as the season goes along. 

Who says we can't be the second? No team has won a Super Bowl playing 17 regular season games either, so I guess we were destined to lose from the start? Numbers and facts are fun but each season, game, play is individual. Like they say on commercials for attorneys, past success doesn't determine future success. The Bills lost the season opener, all they can do is play the next game and go from there. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

You are actually wrong... Check your facts and stop trolling. 

I took one quick look and found more than one team to lose opener and win Super Bowl. Don't know where these trolls get there "facts" from, but being wrong and posting it as if it's fact is a HUGE problem with certain people on this site. 

Quickly Giants 2011 lost week 1 and won the Super Bowl. Seeing that I found that quickly as my first search I can bet many more did this also.

Also the 2020 BUCS lost first game and went on to win the Super Bowl.... This is such bad research, trolling research.

Not to get into the weeds here but were those losses you cited at HOME? That was the key to the stat the OP reported. 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Thank you (+1) 1