Does anyone else sort of avoid this place after a loss?

eball

It’s funny you wrote this eball, as I’m opening up and it’s Friday, and yet still more and more ridiculous takes.  I made a mental note to stay away the next loss for a few days (hopefully there won’t be one for a few weeks).  I already gave up on Gameday 1st half, 2nd half threads.  They are exhausting.

10 hours ago, eball said:

Particularly now that the Bills are a good team, I find myself participating much less frequently on the board during the week after a loss.  I lurk but post much less.  The threads get ridiculous (well, even more ridiculous) and it's exhausting.  Is it just me?

Truth.

If one plans to follow the Bills for a life time they can't let themselves get too high or too low after every game.

They will wear out their ticker that way.

It's a long season and it has just begun.

Part of the reason the board looks so bad after a loss is in part due to this very thing.

Many regular posters avoid the place, leaving room for all the rage-filled, game-day-only, sky-is-falling posters to emerge & rise to the top.

I will respond in a few specific threads, but I rarely will start a topic. But yes, I avoid TV, sports radio, sports news outlets online, and discussion forums/boards after Bills losses. They just add insult to injury.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Truth.

If one plans to follow the Bills for a life time they can't let themselves get too high or too low after every game.

They will wear out their ticker that way.

It's a long season and it has just begun.

Wide, on the main board read the Sanders article in the Syracuse paper. Sanders reflected exactly you’re sentiment.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

No.

But I do avoid post game replays, commentary, videos and YouTube clips.

Sort of similar. I don't avoid this place and I do try and watch and listen stuff that explains the loss and I always watch the all22 of a loss whereas I only sometimes watch it when we win. But I avoid the kind of reactionary talking heads stuff after a loss and I don't listen to any of Sal's WGR segments. I have less patience for the positive spin after a loss. 

12 hours ago, eball said:

Particularly now that the Bills are a good team, I find myself participating much less frequently on the board during the week after a loss.  I lurk but post much less.  The threads get ridiculous (well, even more ridiculous) and it's exhausting.  Is it just me?

Yessir, took me a couple days to even check in this week whereas last week I was on daily. Losses are downers and I'm not much for commiseration.

I’m part of the group that runs on here just to see the train wreck.  It’s a time where some posters say the dumbest ***** possible, and then have to be held accountable for it later. 

I embrace the misdirected anger.  I’m not sure what that says about me. 

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, eball said:

After a loss My wife puts a blanket and a pillow on the couch for me , and the kids all of a sudden don’t need anything 

Edited by Putin
  • Haha (+1) 2

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No there are a lot of people like you that are an emotional mess after a loss.

If you learn how to turn the page quickly on losses then discussing things like the corrective actions the team could/should make isn't so painful...........you can try to explain it another way but it's not boredom that keeps you away it's not being able to process the defeat in a healthy manner.

Result based fandom is why you regrettably gave up your season tickets..........it's not the way to "fan" if you don't intend to quit cold turkey.

I’ll say it again…you’re just a weirdo.  The point isn’t having a rational discussion, it’s sifting through umpteen ridiculous hot take threads.  Grow up.

Haven't read all of the thread, so may be repeating the views of others, but for me personally a defeat alters my week (in terms of consuming media, message board usage) as follows:

1. Avoid any game replays (I usually watch the 1hr summary of the game mid week)

2. I'd watch a few minutes here and there of shows like GMFB and Pro Football Talk with Florio and Simms, I usually watch 50% or more of that content on a winning week.

3. Reduction in the number of podcasts I consume in the week, however I never miss the daily Locked on Bills podcast, even after a defeat.

With regards my usage of this message board after a defeat... whilst there is an awful lot of knee jerk takes and over reactions, I do find that there are a lot of well reasoned posters/posts and links to content here that helps me make sense of the defeat.  Why did it happen, what went wrong, how can that be fixed, what was positive in the defeat.  So I'd say I'm on here for the same amount of time on a winning week than a losing week. Sad, I know!

Here's hoping for a more optimistic and jovial community from Sunday night onwards after we squish those fish.

Go Bills!

Edited by NI Bills Fan

I skim the boards after a game but don’t really read too deeply into it toward the end of the week when the emotion dies down.  

On kind of the other side I thought after Josh got the big multi million dollar deal any fans who dared to question if it was the right time got shot down.  Even if they had fair points.

Its fan boards though.  I’m pretty sure they’re all like that

It’s football, people. I have no problem with ranting in frustration or celebrating all night long if the fans want. That’s the point of being a fan! I’m not a Team employee or player and I highly doubt anyone else on here is either. I have a life and a demanding job. So…if people want to blow off some steam here…go for it. I actually look forward to reading their ‘hot takes’. 

GO BILLS

Not commenting on @eball or any other fan specifically but I do definitely feel there is a cadre of "I don't want to read negative things about the team even if they are justified" people around here. There always has been. It is why the Tyrod wars were so brutal because there were people who went real and constructive criticism was being made would rather just stick their fingers in their ears and find a way to try and spin a positive. So it doesn't surprise me that after a loss where there was plenty to comment on from the Bills and plenty that deserved some criticism a lot of posters would rather stay away. 

12 hours ago, NickelCity said:

...is this a case for quantity over quality?

Kinda Ya. I mean there's alot less talking points when the bills win. After a win its fun for a day or two then it kinda does out. After a loss, there seems to be panic for a week straight