"Pittsburgh Confused Josh Allen" - Chris Simms

18 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

They could have executed on the plays that were there and been solid on special teams and easily won that game.

yes. WR dropped balls, Allen a little late getting ball to WR at least 3 times for big gains causing DB to knock it out, overthrow on TD,  and of course the dam blocked punt.

Oh and if McKenzie breaks to the middle instead of into the return guys he likely scores.

Game was very very winnable even as both lines struggled.

Edited by cba fan
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He doesn't have film to roll but I think he does a good job explaining the philosophy he believes Pittsburgh was working on, and why it was especially confusing to the Bills.  "Route running concepts - if it's one safety do this, if it's two safeties, do that....coach, I don't know what that was, it was two safeties and then it was one safety"

Pointed out that the Bills are fundamentally running a version of the NE offense and that NE was Pittsburgh's "Daddy" through the 2010s.

Says that Pittsburgh developed a good understanding of that offense and how to attack it.

Says they took calculated risks that would often leave a man open.  Said their defense breaks a lot of the rules the QB operates with and that flusters the QB.

Walks through the 3rd down play after McKenzie's great kickoff return and explains how Steelers played it

One thing that royally ticked me off is that Daboll refused to role the pocket for Allen like at all it was 5 wide find someone open 

Not many people seem to be talking about the disadvantage of the opposing defense KNOWING it's a pass (for the most part) on most plays, based on formation. The offensive linemen are really up against it when a talented pass rush can consistently tee off on the snap count and attack with impunity. 

I believe Daboll needs to help his guys out by being less predictable on a play-to-play basis. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Interesting.

I especially like when he  says Pittsburgh knew Buffalo's rules.

Other teams were watching. We'll have to make some changes.

The way to beat that was for Beasley to fake inside and go long down the sideline. But the Steelers knew that's not the way his rules run on plays like that.

The Bills have become increasingly predictable.  Most fans know what play is coming as soon as the offensive players line up. 

19 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Sure, there are advantages and disadvantages to deactivating anybody. That includes Moss. But deactivating him didn't create problems that were a serious part of losing this game. Nobody was injured. Nobody wasn't fresh. The Steelers had done all their game planning before knowing Moss wouldn't play.

And yeah, the Steelers game plan was based on our not making significant changes to the  pass game. So were the game plans of the 13 teams we beat in the regular season last year and the two we beat in the playoffs. We make changes each game. We did for this one. When they adjust to this, it might involve running a bit more. But it won't involve running so much that we wear down front fours. And teams have tried to wear out Cam Heyward and TJ Watt before. It hasn't worked. They handle it.  

They're great players and they're in good shape. But it does take the ball out of the hands of your quarterback, which in our case means taking it out of Josh Allen's hands, not something we'll want to do a lot of. 

Wouldn't mind them running a bit more. I've said so in several threads. Wouldn't have turned this game around, though. And like you, I would love to see them go back up to last year's levels of play action (which worked great last  year even without us running a lot).

But no, we're not going to turn into a run-heavy team. Wouldn't make sense.

We might have to be a run heavy team for a few weeks because you better believe every team now is going to play us like this. I would even bet teams are willing to let us run a little until we show we can stick with it and score.  

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

One thing that royally ticked me off is that Daboll refused to role the pocket for Allen like at all it was 5 wide find someone open 

That’s what scares me the most not the oline not Allen but daboll watching the game and not changing nothing. Then McDermott not saying nothing at half time. It’s like this team comes out with one game plan oh it didn’t work well we tried. We will never beat KC like that you have to be able to see something not working and stop. 

2 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

WHENEVER A DEFENSE GETS THERE FAST WITH FOUR, the defense is going to have a good day, end of story.

This was the problem, no further discussion is needed.

We got our butt whooped.

I’m buying what you’re selling but they were teeing off expecting pass and they were right 95%.  That steamroller needs screens and runs to slow em down otherwise they’ll whoop many arses.  

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I dunno about "easily", but yes, they could have won or tied the game with the plays they called.

They could also plausibly have made some adjustments that would likely have helped. 

But a core problem IMHO is if your OL allows a DL to get pressure and affect the QB with 3 or 4 guys, it's gonna be a Long Day and it's gonna be hard to run a consistent offense.  McDermott basically indicated he viewed that as a core problem in his postgame and Monday pressers, and so did Daboll on Monday.

Is Cody Ford specifically an issue you think? Because Boettger seems to be decent in pass pro.

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Clearly you have your Dabol skeptics (like me) and supporters. I'm not a fan of 5 wide. I'm not a fan of seeing Josh run 7 designed qb draws. Trick plays on 4th down are extremely risky. I'd like to see us run just a little more. Singletary looked amazing on that late drive. There are days when almost everything Dabol calls works great and then there's games like last week or the Baltimore playoff game. He's frustrating and it reflects in the way Josh plays. This team needs to improve in-game adjustments. 

Daboll play design is not the issue. He gets guys open. It is his personnel groupings, lack of commitment to some semblance of a running game, and inability to keep Allen under control at times that are the issues.  All correctable BTW.  On to Miami

3 hours ago, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

why was there so little pre-snap motion?

JA lost Barkley as a sideline coach, Trubs and JA is different than Barkley and JA on the sideline.

Then they did him no favors by not adding pre-snap motion.

It is my understanding that if you motion a WR or other player, and another player moves to follow him, it is man.

If an offensive player moves pre-snap and no one, or a whole unit shifts (say LBs) then it is zone.

JA still needs some pre-snap reads, help the man out!

Agreed.  By spreading out and putting the back or Te outside the alignment indicates coverage as well.  Some teams do what they do.  Others mix it up.  The Steelers usually do them.  This is a got 3 months to prepare for week 1 and come out and do something different.  With that said Allen battled.  No crazy win it all on one play.  Perfect game plan and Buffalo still was in control of the game most of the way. 

• Like (+1) 1

Other than being Phil's son, Sims was a losing 2nd string QB who washed out of the league early,and his skills as an analyst is minimal. He sees an opportunity to sound insightful and call Josh confused when playcalling and O-line breakdowns was the problem on offense. Why can't these mindless simpletons just let the game breathe. If it's obvious to fans that Josh was in empty, 4 and 5 receiver formations too much and became predictable and one dimensional, then why would Simms criticize Josh for being confused. He doesn't call plays. He was under constant pressure from a 4 man rush, that's doesn't indicate confusion. Dabol already admitted to being the problem. Some of these "experts"  who get paid to diminish real NFL QBs should consider sticking to coaching their kids in pee wee.

55 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Is Cody Ford specifically an issue you think? Because Boettger seems to be decent in pass pro.

According to the PFF grades, Jon Feliciano was the biggest issue but I'm not sure how much faith I put in them.

27 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Other than being Phil's son, Sims was a losing 2nd string QB who washed out of the league early,and his skills as an analyst is minimal. He sees an opportunity to sound insightful and call Josh confused when playcalling and O-line breakdowns was the problem on offense. Why can't these mindless simpletons just let the game breathe. If it's obvious to fans that Josh was in empty, 4 and 5 receiver formations too much and became predictable and one dimensional, then why would Simms criticize Josh for being confused. He doesn't call plays. He was under constant pressure from a 4 man rush, that's doesn't indicate confusion. Dabol already admitted to being the problem. Some of these "experts"  who get paid to diminish real NFL QBs should consider sticking to coaching their kids in pee wee.

Did you actually listen to the linked piece?  Because that doesn't read as though you did.  He was very specific about what he meant and explained.

Jim Kubiak, whose piece for the Buffalo News was also linked above, pointed out similar things - also with film clips and X's and O's illustrating his point.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, QCity said:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/jim-kubiak-josh-allen-reverts-to-old-ways-but-steelers-defense-deserves-credit/article_67b9ad0c-14ff-11ec-a026-dfbc223dbc13.html

Jim Kubiak wrote an amazing breakdown for the BN on the Steelers' gameplan complete with video. They didn't just confuse Allen but the entire OL as well, with rotating fronts, shifting Ingram to standup LB, bringing Tre Norwood to the line, etc, etc. he does a great job of explaining how they created the confusion.

This analysis is objective, comprehensive, and clear-eyed (which is a lot like objective). Sober and salient. 

1 hour ago, Eastport bills said:

Just in case you're not aware Chris Simms is probably the biggest Josh Allen homer not named Jordan Palmer. He loves Allen, he's almost annoyingly positive about Allen in all instances. I think this is a pretty solid, critical breakdown. Frustrating really.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/15/2021 at 11:51 PM, Dr.Sack said:

A great strategy is being unpredictable. Bills sat Moss & telegraphed they were good rolling with two RBs. If the Bills had intended on switching up their game plan and pounding the rock, then yes they should have suited Moss up. Bills played right into Pittsburgh’s gameplan. They could have started the game with 15 runs and caught Pittsburgh by surprise. Until Daboll learns to have more variety & is willing to attack multiple ways, the Bills Offense will always be easier to gameplan against. 

At least pull that lazy boy up a little bit before making some ridiculous I don’t even know what to call this 

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

The Bills have become increasingly predictable.  Most fans know what play is coming as soon as the offensive players line up. 

Well, if it's an empty backfield, it's a pretty good guess it's a pass play

Otherwise, the probabilities are in favor of it being a pass play

But what pass play specifically?  Really? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

According to the PFF grades, Jon Feliciano was the biggest issue but I'm not sure how much faith I put in them.

Did you actually listen to the linked piece?  Because that doesn't read as though you did.  He was very specific about what he meant and explained.

Jim Kubiak, whose piece for the Buffalo News was also linked above, pointed out similar things - also with film clips and X's and O's illustrating his point.

Sorry Hapless, I don't care what justification your using. A novice, failed NFL QB, doesn't label a great player as being confused. Any other more established analysts on 24/7 football breakdown shows use the term "confused ". He's trying to be groundbreaking to get clicks and eyeballs at the expense of the guy experts feel can go to the SB. Who the heck is Jom Kubiak,  and why should we care about his Xs and Os.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Nelius said:

Just in case you're not aware Chris Simms is probably the biggest Josh Allen homer not named Jordan Palmer. He loves Allen, he's almost annoyingly positive about Allen in all instances. I think this is a pretty solid, critical breakdown. Frustrating really.

I don't agree. It's still criticism after one half of the 1st game, where adjustments weren't made by the coaching staff and O-line breakdowns were plentiful. Sean even admitted to being outcoached. Dabol admitted to forcing the issue with being predictable. Remember the damage to Darnold when he was indicted for being confused and said he was seeing ghosts. It almost destroyed his career.

• Eyeroll 1