Def lost opportunities

air2mud82

So I'm sitting here at dinner watching a replay of the game and one thing that really sticks out to me is the amount of lost opportunities we had, specifically on tipped balls and bad passes that our defense just got their hands on But couldn't make the big play. There were a number of times where if they would have just made the play when the ball hit them in the hands it probably would have completely altered the tide and turned things completely in our favor.

Those are the types of situations that can completely change the outcome of a game, and hopefully we start seeing more of them in the near future.

• Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, air2mud82 said:

So I'm sitting here at dinner watching a replay of the game and one thing that really sticks out to me is the amount of lost opportunities we had, specifically on tipped balls and bad passes that our defense just got their hands on But couldn't make the big play. There were a number of times where if they would have just made the play when the ball hit them in the hands it probably would have completely altered the tide and turned things completely in our favor.

Those are the types of situations that can completely change the outcome of a game, and hopefully we start seeing more of them in the near future.

What examples are you talking about?  The only one I can think of is the tipped pass that Edmunds couldn’t come down with.  That would’ve been a very tough….but not impossible catch to make 

• Like (+1) 1

Edmunds struggles with ball skills. He’s lucky that ball he was batting around on the sidelines didn’t go as a fumble. He would’ve never lived that down. Whether it’s hand-eye coordination, or his adrenaline is running too high, he’s just not good securing the ball.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

What examples are you talking about?  The only one I can think of is the tipped pass that Edmunds couldn’t come down with.  That would’ve been a very tough….but not impossible catch to make 

that, plus the White interception, plus the strip sack where the Steelers recovered the fumble. Those are the main ones that come to my mind. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

There were two where White and Wallace had great position but couldn't finish it. Steelers WRs made the play. I assume he's talking about those too.

Then of course the deep pass Allen missed. He also missed seeing Sanders wide open deep and threw it to a covered receiver instead.

Then there was a few drops by the receivers. One by Beasley on 3rd down that would've moved the chains. Another by Sanders that he caught, but the Steelers defender hit it out, which would've been a first down. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, air2mud82 said:

Exactly.  This game should have been over in the first half, as it easily could have 10 or 14-0 after the first 7 min.

That's why it takes a few days sometimes to circle back here with rationale thoughts about the game.  

Still things to critique and correct, but overall just let one slip away.   Quite possible we will get another crack at them in the playoffs.  

Until then, time to get the W this week

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

(Besides that Tre White interception that was erased by a stupid call.)

To me, this was the turning point of the game. If that INT wasn’t called back on a phantom penalty, the momentum would have been completely on their side...the score right before the half, then the INT......drive down and score a TD....17-0.....game over IMO.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

Big plays called back by penalty...

I hate penalties 

1 hour ago, air2mud82 said:

I just can’t watch replays of a game that we lost 😞 , now when we win ill watch it over and over 

7 minutes ago, Special K said:

To me, this was the turning point of the game. If that INT wasn’t called back on a phantom penalty, the momentum would have been completely on their side...the score right before the half, then the INT......drive down and score a TD....17-0.....game over IMO.

Agree 100% 

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

Yep, this was the headline for that game. The Steelers made the plays that the Bills couldn't. 

(Besides that Tre White interception that was erased by a stupid call.)

The game was over with that Tre pick. Trying to find video on the supposed penalty. Looked super super weak live and w game replay. 

People take such issue with the suggestion the NFL is rigged. There’s tons of evidence to support this. Also Dwight Smith who had two pick sixes in the Bucs first super bowl win came out before the last super bowl and said it’s rigged.

But people need to at least accept it’s steered at least a little and the refs are a huge component in pulling this off. 

That’s a massive game changing call that no one will ever remember. Happens almost every game. The Levi Wallace PI was so soft too imo, but that one I can at least see that they could’ve called because he didn’t turn around🙄. So weak though.

I remember watching the Colts spank the Steelers last year for over a half—the better team winning and controlling the game pretty easily—and then watched the refs absolutely turn the entire thing around and gift wrap the game for them. 

Guess I’m in the minority here, but thought that was pretty blatant hold by Tre.  He basically grabbed the guy by the back of his shoulder pads.  

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

What are you referring to?

They moved the ball to the Pittsburgh 35 before the drive stalled on a pass to Beasley and then a 4th down pass to Davis….it did look like Beasley was open underneath for what would’ve been a 1st down.

Yes.  The offense was developing a nice rhythm and then Josh reverted to hero ball and killed the drive.  

The game reminded me of Bills games of yore, before they were good, when on 10-15 crucial plays one guy, a different guy, would make a mistake and muck it up. 

This happened a lot. The Bills are a good, solid team though. I don’t expect it to continue. 

This was a bad start against a good team we should beat at home. We had a lot of chances we squandered. But I doubt it changes the season much. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The game reminded me of Bills games of yore, before they were good, when on 10-15 crucial plays one guy, a different guy, would make a mistake and muck it up. 

This happened a lot. The Bills are a good, solid team though. I don’t expect it to continue. 

This was a bad start against a good team we should beat at home. We had a lot of chances we squandered. But I doubt it changes the season much. 

Totally.

This game looked and felt like a drought era loss for sure.  Get ahead, think things are going OK at half time. Blow it in the 4th.  A very un characteristic McDermott loss.