Tim Graham at The Athletic suggests shaking things up and demoting Daboll this week

I like the idea but I don't think it goes far enough.  I would slide everyone on the line of scrimmage down one spot like volleyball.  Naturally that means right tackle rides the bench and Bates slides in a left tackle.  

Thats how you shake things up and send a message.  

On 9/16/2021 at 4:01 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

Tim Graham at The Athletic suggests shaking things up and demoting Daboll this week

Didn't see it posted:

https://theathletic.com/2825259/2021/09/14/is-it-too-soon-to-worry-about-the-bills-offense/

Is it too soon to worry about the Bills offense? A Week 2 change could provide a spark

That headline overstates what Graham did. He didn't suggest it.

What you could say is something more like ... he brought up the possibility and discussed it, along with McDermott's history of doing things like that. In fact he goes pretty far out of his way NOT to suggest it.

"One then could fairly deduce the Bills’ message about improving their run game meant they needed to adjust the way Daboll calls their plays," he said.

"... one might wonder if it’s time for passing-game coordinator Ken Dorsey to get a shot to see what he can do," he said.

"One might wonder." That is not the language you use when you suggest something. Bringing up a possibility, for the sake of discussion, maybe.

About as far he goes towards any kind of assertion is, saying, "Lombardi Trophies won’t be lifted without significant adjustments from what we witnessed."

He absolutely did not suggest demoting Daboll, much less doing so this week.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Baltimore, second half v. Indy. Same problems in all of them.

Our receivers were all injured at that point. They weren't getting open, and the refs decided not to call pass interference in the championship game. And controlling them was easier due to their injuries.

And while the offense wasn't great against Indy, they certainly weren't bad and pretty decent in the second half. Four drives for a TD and two FGs. The problems were more serious in the last two games, against two good Ds, with injured receivers.

If we continue to have problems, that will indeed signal that the system needs some fixing. Right now it's not clear there are any problems beyond Pittsburgh's being really good and needing to learn to handle what they did against our route combos.

If they do at some point switch play callers, that would be fine with me. It hasn't yet, IMO, been shown to be necessary. But bigger changes could be indicated if the returns continue to come in negative.

Edited by Thurman#1

He did a good job of explaining what went wrong and linked it to our offensive struggles in the playoffs.  Specifically, our struggles against heavy zone teams.  Maybe we do need to shake things up on offense.  I just don't like the idea of having Dorsey taking over play call duties one week into the season.  Daboll is able to self scout and you have to have faith in the staff you assembled to make the necessary adjustments.  Let's just see what he comes up this week against the Fins as I expect another cat and mouse game.

Someone wrote early in this thread it’s a gross overreaction, but the difference with Frasier is McD was a very successful DC for quite sometime prior to the HC role.  What experience does Dorsey have to call plays?  It makes no sense at all.  Graham has jumped the shark for awhile.

Im a little surprised “the sky is falling” takes here after going 15-4 last year.  My god it’s one game and we weren’t blown out like the Packers.  We scored the exact same offensive pts. As the Steelers, and had a punt blocked.  Yep, the offense sucked an egg, but the defense played relatively well.  Better than the beginning of last year, and there a lot more hurries on Ben.

15 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

That headline overstates what Graham did. He didn't suggest it.

What you could say is something more like ... he brought up the possibility and discussed it, along with McDermott's history of doing things like that. In fact he goes pretty far out of his way NOT to suggest it.

"One then could fairly deduce the Bills’ message about improving their run game meant they needed to adjust the way Daboll calls their plays," he said.

"... one might wonder if it’s time for passing-game coordinator Ken Dorsey to get a shot to see what he can do," he said.

"One might wonder." That is not the language you use when you suggest something. Bringing up a possibility, for the sake of discussion, maybe.

About as far he goes towards any kind of assertion is, saying, "Lombardi Trophies won’t be lifted without significant adjustments from what we witnessed."

He absolutely did not suggest demoting Daboll, much less doing so this week.

What exactly do you think the definition of the word "suggest" is, Thurm?

To suggest is "to put forward for consideration."

I said suggest... not recommend.

You give the word "suggest" the same meaning of "recommend."  If you apply that definition to the word suggest, I agree, he did not recommend it.

But by its very definition if, he did suggest it.