Tim Graham at The Athletic suggests shaking things up and demoting Daboll this week

Just now, dave mcbride said:

The Bills blockers couldn't handle the Steelers' front. If your line can't handle the front, you are going to struggle no matter what scheme you run. Give it more than one game before passing judgment is all I'm saying. The Bills are literally coming off of arguably their best offensive season ever, and they struggled last year vs Pitt for the same reason -- the o-line getting overwhelmed by better talent.

This is a LIE and flat out LIE. We watch NFL teams all the time work around bad offensive line play. Ben has a totally new offensive line with a starting rookie center. Brady has always managed no matter the offensive line. You can design plays for bad offensive line play. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Message for Tim Graham: Pittsburgh was #1 in defensive DVOA last season and third the year before. Christ. 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/team-defense/2020

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/team-defense/2019

I know some 40 yards of it was pure garbage time - but Buffalo put up 371 yards and 22 First downs against them.  That would've been the 3rd highest yardage total in 2020, and 3rd highest number of first downs.  0 300 yard passing offenses given up in 2020 as well.  

Pittsburgh was 3rd in yards, 3rd in points allowed, 2nd in takeaways, 1st in sacks and sack rate, 1st in pressure rate, fewest in YAC allowed, 1st in comp% allowed, 1st in QB rating allowed... you get the idea.  

All that to me probably adds up to the #1 in DVOA.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

“That is something that we anticipated,” Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said of the play. “They got in that formation a bunch, four or five times in the preseason. We figured the next phase of it would be to fake it to the fullback and flip that ball out to them.”

Sounds like a daboll hack… 

2 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

This is a LIE and flat out LIE. We watch NFL teams all the time work around bad offensive line play. Ben has a totally new offensive line with a starting rookie center. Brady has always managed no matter the offensive line. You can design plays for bad offensive line play. 

That wasn't just bad oline play. It was an utter beat down. What plays do you wanna run when three Dlinemen were getting off the line practically untouched on some plays? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

A beyond stupid idea.

Would you be open to allowing Josh call his own plays like Kelly did? 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

That wasn't just bad oline play. It was an utter beat down. What plays do you wanna run when three Dlinemen were getting off the line practically untouched on some plays? 

At least put Moss in to chip away a defender. He shouldn’t have been a scratch. Anything. We never even tried. That’s the most frustrating part. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

The Steelers line did not play poorly. They didn't resort to holding all day. More importantly, the Bills defense is pretty good, but their front four simply cannot overwhelm an o-line. You're comparing apples and oranges. The Bills have nothing like a Hayward, Ingram, or Watt on their line. I also watch NFL teams with good QBs crumble because of bad line play all of the time. The Pats vs. the Broncos in 2015 AFC championship game and the Chiefs vs. TB in the SB are examples 1 and 2 of a very, very long list.

PS -- since you mention Brady, I'll add the 2008 SB, when he was overwhelmed by the Giants' front four. Same goes for the 2012 SB and the loss to the Ravens the next year in the AFC championship game.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Agree 1

Handing it off to Dorsey may be a bit of a bridge too far at this point, but it is hard to argue that The Bills last three offensive games have not been putrid.  That at least has to be partially Daboll’s fault, no?  Shaking things up somehow seems to be in order.  

Just now, FLFan said:

Handing it off to Dorsey may be a bit of a bridge too far at this point, but it is hard to argue that The Bills last three offensive games have not been putrid.  That at least has to be partially Daboll’s fault, no?  Shaking things up somehow seems to be in order.  

Dorsey is a terrible idea. I much more prefer handing the duties over to Allen for a game and seeing how it goes. Especially considering he plays well against the dolphins. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

No.

Why not? 

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The Steelers line did not play poorly. They didn't resort to holding all day. More importantly, the Bills defense is pretty good, but their front four simply cannot overwhelm an o-line. You're comparing apples and oranges. The Bills have nothing like a Hayward, Ingram, or Watt on their line. I also watch NFL teams with good QBs crumble because of bad line play all of the time. The Pats vs. the Broncos in 2015 AFC championship game and the Chiefs vs. TB in the SB are examples 1 and 2 of a very, very long list.

This. That Pats line in 2015 was one of those which looked okay against bad and average teams but as soon as they were presented with a top notch Dline fell apart completely.

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Why not? 

Because his history making check with me decisions does not suggest to me he is ready to do it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

This. That Pats line in 2015 was one of those which looked okay against bad and average teams but as soon as they were presented with a top notch Dline fell apart completely.

Then blame Beane and McDermott for not investing enough capital into a formidable offensive line. Hopefully this next draft we go offensive line across the board. No more excuses. 

Tom Brady has never called his own plays. Just sayin'. Letting a fourth year qb with a rudimentary college and HS background call an NFL offense ain't gonna work. 

Just now, IronMaidenBills said:

Then blame Beane and McDermott for not investing enough capital into a formidable offensive line. Hopefully this next draft we go offensive line across the board. No more excuses. 

To be fair, picks 3 and 4 this year were OTs. That's good. Hopefully they pan out. Wyatt Teller is the one that got away, of course. 

2 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I do blame them for the interior Oline situation. If it sinks our season it is on them. Can't blame them for their franchise Left Tackle getting covid bad mind you.

Edited by GunnerBill

1 hour ago, RobbRiddick said:

Absolutely nuts. Is this how impatient some people are now? How about KC taking play calls away from Reid after the SB. How about my wife divorcing me after I made one single mistake and slept with her sister?

Do you mind sharing what the mistake was, so we can avoid it?

Edited by TheBrownBear

Just now, IronMaidenBills said:

We need to go 1 2 T/G and trade back up into the 2nd for a center. Use FA to go hard after Gesicki. 

It is hard to plan draft strategy this far out. This past class was a really good OL group. If Brown pans out they have 3 good tackles. Dion's illness is something you just can't legislate for. I would look for upgrades at guard in free agency personally. 

• Like (+1) 1

I felt like when the play calling was questioned after the game Mcdermott blamed himself.  He gives Daboll free reign with the offense.  I dont expect a play caller change but I do expect some game management comprehension.  Buffalo had the game in their hand for 3/4 of it.  Without playing well.  A few bonehead calls and the game is lost.

If Daboll wants a HC job some of these calls are head scratchers.  He can hide behind the looks and execution all he wants.  That may work with the media but wont win him a job.