Tim Graham at The Athletic suggests shaking things up and demoting Daboll this week

NFL teams use their TEs and FB for a reason at times. Watching SF move up and down the field with less talent is hypnotizing. 
We go air raid all the time, which is fine against certain teams and it works, but Daboll needs to understand you can’t force feed it for ego sake. He shows absolutely no best of judgement of chess skills. The most creative OCs are amoebas with their philosophy. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

Just now, IronMaidenBills said:

NFL teams use their TEs and FB for a reason at times. Watching SF move up and down the field with less talent is hypnotizing. 
We go air raid all the time, which is fine against certain teams and it works, but Daboll needs to understand you can’t force feed it for ego sake. 

SF is a bad comparison.  They are the inverse of us. 

SF:

Meh QB

Monster run game

Elite TE

Physical beast WR

BUF:

Elite QB

Monster pass game

Elite WR1

Finesse WR depth 

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

SF is a bad comparison.  They are the inverse of us. 

SF:

Meh QB

Monster run game

Elite TE

Physical beast WR

BUF:

Elite QB

Monster pass game

Elite WR1

Finesse WR depth 

I know they are a different team. But Shanahan knows play calling and can adjust on the fly. That’s my point. Why limit yourself to a single identity? This is why it’s important to also invest in all positions. We should have a great TE/FB and physics beast WR as well so we can play all varieties. We are to one dimensional. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

The problem I've got with this is the fine margins. You can't demote daboll when the ball is overthrown to an open receiver to put the bills further ahead. he was schemed open. Add to that the o line was dominated, and add to that further mcdermott didn't have his best game in terms of the 4th down calls. Can't demote an OC who's done really well last season when there is plenty of blame to go round. 

1 minute ago, london_bills said:

The problem I've got with this is the fine margins. You can't demote daboll when the ball is overthrown to an open receiver to put the bills further ahead. he was schemed open. Add to that the o line was dominated, and add to that further mcdermott didn't have his best game in terms of the 4th down calls. Can't demote an OC who's done really well last season when there is plenty of blame to go round. 

Josh is going to end up calling his own games eventually anyways. All great QBs usually do. I really hope Kelly gave him some ideas around that. 

The best Chess players can play any chess philosophy and prepares for all strategies. There is no reason to limit your identity. Because if you do, teams can plan around it and attack it eventually. Belichick is the master of football amoebaism. It’s all about strategy and we have shown to have none. All we do is try what we do best. That isn’t good enough to win super bowls. 

10 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Josh is going to end up calling his own games eventually anyways. All great QBs usually do. I really hope Kelly gave him some ideas around that. 

The best Chess players can play any chess philosophy and prepares for all strategies. There is no reason to limit your identity. Because if you do, teams can plan around it and attack it eventually. Belichick is the master of football amoebaism. It’s all about strategy and we have shown to have none. All we do is try what we do best. That isn’t good enough to win super bowls. 

You never hear anyone call for dabolls head when josh allen has a really good game. We all want to win superbowls

Just now, london_bills said:

You never hear anyone call for dabolls head when josh allen has a really good game. We all want to win superbowls

Because Josh Allen is leading this team with an OC. The Bills are not winning because of an OC with Josh Allen. Imagine what we would be doing right now with better strategy. 

• Like (+1) 1

Because Josh Allen is leading this team with an OC. The Bills are not winning because of an OC with Josh Allen. Imagine what we would be doing right now with better strategy. 

Daboll is a good coordinator. He is creative and has shown the ability to adjust. Don't overreact because of a terrible o-line performance against the #1 D in the league last season that's now improved because of the addition of Melvin Ingram.

• Disagree 1

31 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Rollouts, RB in the flat, extra blocker. We went empty sets most of the game when we knew Allen was struggling with pressure. Our OC is an idiot. 

I literally addressed all of that in my original post that you called a scapegoat argument.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Daboll is a good coordinator. He is creative and has shown the ability to adjust. Don't overreact because of a terrible o-line performance against the #1 D in the league last season that's now improved because of the addition of Melvin Ingram.

If Daboll is such a good coordinator, why didn’t he adjust plays for the pressure the Steelers were generating? He kept running 4 and 5 wide all game. It was like his ego told him I’m the best there is and I’m going to prove it by winning by calling an air raid all game despite knowing that isn’t the most optimal way. Something you would see from Shaq playing against high schoolers and just dribbling straight up the middle every play and just doing layups. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Allen is the one out there missing sanders. 13 - 3 and one of the highest scorers in the league last season, Allen and daboll both need credit for that.

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Didn't see it posted:

https://theathletic.com/2825259/2021/09/14/is-it-too-soon-to-worry-about-the-bills-offense/

Is it too soon to worry about the Bills offense? A Week 2 change could provide a spark

But a slightly bigger snapshot of Daboll’s offense shows a trend to monitor, and with head coach Sean McDermott’s established history of temporarily revoking play-calling duties in hopes of a spark, one might wonder if it’s time for passing-game coordinator Ken Dorsey to get a shot to see what he can do.

No, this is not a plea to fire Daboll just as McDermott’s decision to confiscate defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier’s play card wasn’t permanent in 2018.

McDermott chose to do that in Week 2, by the way, six quarters into the season right after Frazier’s defense dragged the Bills — kicking and screaming — into the playoffs to break a 17-year drought.

Going back just to last postseason, against the type of opponents by which Buffalo will be measured, the offense has struggled to find the end zone. McDermott also expressed disappointment in Daboll’s game plans back then.

The Bills averaged 3.6 offensive TDs a game last year and scored three of them in their playoff opener, a 27-24 victory over the Indianapolis Colts.

Since then, the Bills offense has scored four touchdowns over three games. One was enough to beat the Baltimore Ravens in the second round, but McDermott was displeased with Daboll’s approach. The Bills ran three times in the first half, tying an NFL record for fewest attempts in the first half of a playoff game. Only one of those runs was designed and didn’t happen until three minutes before halftime; one was an Allen kneeldown to end the half.

Daboll deployed four- or five-receiver formations on 35 snaps, but the Bills averaged 3.4 yards on them.

After failing to convert two fourth downs all last year, Buffalo misfired on two of its three attempts Sunday. They happened on the Bills’ first two second-half possessions.

More egregious was a fourth-and-1 call from Pittsburgh’s 41 with 13:42 left in the game. Allen threw a backward pass to Breida, whom cornerback Cameron Sutton summarily annihilated for a 7-yard loss.

“That is something that we anticipated,” Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said of the play. “They got in that formation a bunch, four or five times in the preseason. We figured the next phase of it would be to fake it to the fullback and flip that ball out to them.”

Pittsburgh’s defense played zone coverage 75.9 percent of the time Sunday, extending a trend that has given Buffalo problems.

Allen took much punishment. In addition to designed runs and his customary scrambles, he absorbed three sacks and eight quarterback hits (he endured only two games in 2020 with at least that many) despite using play action just 18.4 percent of the time in an effort to get the ball out of Allen’s hands early. Allen fumbled twice.

McDermott swiped Frazier’s play card six quarters into 2018, during halftime of a loss to the Chargers, right about the time cornerback Vontae Davis simply left the stadium and retired.

Like a hockey coach hopes to spark his team with a goalie change, the move worked.

The Bills had been outscored 75-9 at that point. The defense responded with three-and-outs on the Chargers’ next three possessions and allowed only a field goal.

A week later, McDermott reinstated Frazier’s oversight against the Minnesota Vikings, the team Frazier used to lead. The Bills were 16.5-point underdogs on the road yet dominated, forcing three turnovers and recording four sacks in a 27-6 laugher.

McDermott gave Frazier the game ball.

Dorsey shouldn’t be a threat to Daboll. Increased collaboration can be healthy and provide a spark.

If Daboll ever lands a head coaching gig, then getting Dorsey some live reps would be beneficial for the future.

I normally like TG but this article was a bit of a head scratcher after 1 bad game.  If the bad offense continues for 3 or 4 more games than it makes sense but I thought calling for Dorsey after one bad performance was premature 

If Daboll is such a good coordinator, why didn’t he adjust plays for the pressure the Steelers were generating? He kept running 4 and 5 wide all game. It was like his ego told him I’m the best there is and I’m going to prove it by winning by calling an air raid all game despite knowing that isn’t the most optimal way. Something you would see from Shaq playing against high schoolers and just dribbling straight up the middle every play and just doing layups. 

I do think the bills are caught between 'this is what we do and you will have to adjust to us' and adjusting themselves to the opponent 

Allen is the one out there missing sanders. 13 - 3 and one of the highest scorers in the league last season, Allen and daboll both need credit for that.

This is why I want Josh to call his plays like Kelly. Then we will know who is great and who isn’t. 

I do think the bills are caught between 'this is what we do and you will have to adjust to us' and adjusting themselves to the opponent 

Which is a terrible way to run a NFL team. That’s not a recipe to win a Super bowl. 

2 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

The Bills blockers couldn't handle the Steelers' front. If your line can't handle the front, you are going to struggle no matter what scheme you run. Give it more than one game before passing judgment is all I'm saying. The Bills are literally coming off of arguably their best offensive season ever, and they struggled last year vs Pitt for the same reason -- the o-line getting overwhelmed by better talent.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1