Tim Graham at The Athletic suggests shaking things up and demoting Daboll this week

The point he makes is that the Bills O has been, frankly, terrible over the last 3 games.  4 TDs in 3 games?   I dont see why anyone is making excuses for Daboll at this point, and maybe McD should take over some of the play calling, at least if Daboll cant get his act together, like immediately.  Things I hope McD said to dogballs this week:

1. No more planned QB runs.  We just paid that guy a ton of dough, let's not get him killed in the hope of gaining 3 yards.  We have RBs that can do that.

2. No more slow developing plays.  I dont know if it's the play calling, or Josh Allen, but hanging onto the ball forever behind a pedestrian at  best OL isn't going to work out.

3. Hey, maybe let's mix it up and throw a few runs in there!  And not with the QB!  Say, maybe something designed to check an aggressive front 4?  

4. If the D is dropping 7 guys into coverage each play, maybe let's see what we can do underneath.  Here's a playbook from the Bills glory era, i want you to pay particular attention to how JK used TT out of the backfield, and maybe some curl routes too.  You don't have to swing for the fences on every play!  A long time consuming drive might be just what the doctor ordered!

Anyway you get the idea.  3 of our next 4 opponents have good Ds with strong front 4s.  Is Doublestuff going to game plan for our opponents, or for his dream playbook so he can beat his kid at Madden?

• Agree 1

Different circumstances than what happened with Frazier.

McDermott didn’t give play calling duties to one of Frazier’s assistant coaches. He took them over himself as a head coach with extensive experience as a DC.

and he did it in game (iirc). I believe he said that he just felt he had a really good feel for what the opposing offense was doing and that’s why he took over.

It’s one thing for the head coach with experience on that side of the ball to take over play calling. What Tim Graham is suggesting is much different and much more controversial IMO.

• Agree 1

I don't know how we can even really evaluate the playcalling when the offensive line play was so incredibly bad.  It was one of the worst showings of an O-Line I've ever seen, and I don't think that's an exaggeration. 

I will agree that the personnel choice play to play was suspect. We should have probably been bringing in an extra blocker or RB/TE blockers, but with all the execution issues (even the WRs were dropping passes that were hitting them in the hands, didn't see that much last year) I don't feel confident proclaiming that it was definitely the issue.

What is the harm. McDermott should let Josh call his own game against the Dolphins. It’s early in the season against a team he has dominated all throughout his career. Perfect time to experiment. 

1 minute ago, Bruffalo said:

I don't know how we can even really evaluate the playcalling when the offensive line play was so incredibly bad.  It was one of the worst showings of an O-Line I've ever seen, and I don't think that's an exaggeration. 

I will agree that the personnel choice play to play was suspect. We should have probably been bringing in an extra blocker or RB/TE blockers, but with all the execution issues (even the WRs were dropping passes that were hitting them in the hands, didn't see that much last year) I don't feel confident proclaiming that it was definitely the issue.

This is such a scapegoat argument. Ben was working behind a completely new offensive line and with a rookie. There are ways of masking a meh offensive line. No excuses. 

4 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

What is the harm. McDermott should let Josh call his own game against the Dolphins. It’s early in the season against a team he has dominated all throughout his career. Perfect time to experiment. 

This is such a scapegoat argument. Ben was working behind a completely new offensive line and with a rookie. There are ways of masking a meh offensive line. No excuses. 

What should we have done to mask the offensive line on Sunday that we didn't do?  You seem really confident that you have the answer here.

EDIT: And I want to point out that they weren't "meh".  They were awful.  This was the worst game for the O-Line since Allen's rookie year.

Edited by Bruffalo

Just now, Bruffalo said:

What should we have done to mask the offensive line on Sunday that we didn't do?  You seem really confident that you have the answer here.

Rollouts, RB in the flat, extra blocker. We went empty sets most of the game when we knew Allen was struggling with pressure. Our OC is an idiot. 

• Agree 2

I think it's fair to be concerned about Daboll and his play calling, but the idea that McDermott should take over is insane. 

When Graham points out that McD briefly took play calling away from Frazier he fails to mention a very important fact. McDermott was a DC before becoming a head coach and had experience calling defensive plays. He has no OC experience. That's a crucial difference.