How did Rousseau play against the Steelers?

GreggTX

I haven't seen any specific information about his performance week 1. PFF said he had the highest pressure rate in the NFL during the preseason. Has anyone with relevant experience reviewed his performance and published the results? What have you seen or heard? It seemed like Hughes and Addison made all the splash plays.

in addition

he started

played lot more than AJE

I know we want and need impact - but its reasonable to expect between 5-10 sacks from him..which is what Hughes would get in his prime... 

more QBs are getting the balls out in the 2.5 secs range, you have to expect that to continue given the crowd noise esp on passing downs...

so 

4 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

in addition

he started

played lot more than AJE

I know we want and need impact - but its reasonable to expect between 5-10 sacks from him..which is what Hughes would get in his prime... 

more QBs are getting the balls out in the 2.5 secs range, you have to expect that to continue given the crowd noise esp on passing downs...

so 

Sacks were not going to come in this game....Ben just doesnt hold onto the ball at all and they run the ball.....a lot......

The sacks will come in other games this season

Steelers neutralised him pretty well but as others have said the modern Big Ben ball out quick style isn't ever likely to lead to lots of pressures. I'd give him a C on NFL debut. Didn't suck but more to come.

Ed Oliver was the pick of our Dlinemen. He was absolutely excellent.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

32 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Considered “average” among all players at the position - starters and backups included.   It puts him 67th of 93 edge defenders after this one game.  Still a very small sample size, however.  

Are those PFF grades? I thought that their grades in the 50s were considered poor.

Not that I put much stock in a grade after just 30 snaps. Kind of like a MLB hitter after 30 plate appearances.

How did Oliver grade out?

As good as the pass rush was in  preseason it wasn't so hot against the Steelers despite their retooled oline, but as others have mentioned Big Ben is quick to release so a better gauge should be this week against the Dolphins.

Even if Tua is improved I'm hoping for a 4+ sack outing and a few turnovers would be great as well.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Steelers neutralised him pretty well but as others have said the modern Big Ben ball out quick style isn't ever likely to lead to lots of pressures. I'd give him a C on NFL debut. Didn't suck but more to come.

Ed Oliver was the pick of our Dlinemen. He was absolutely excellent.

I recall  Big Ed making a few nice plays against the run and he was getting in there rushing the pass as well.  Didn't always get home but he was doing some things.  I think he's going to really come into his own this year. 

• Like (+1) 2

He did not get as much pressure on Ben as I had hoped. I attribute that largely to the fact that Ben got rid of the ball on average around 2,15 seconds, which was the lowest in the league last week. Hopefully, Tua holds the ball longer, or makes mistakes trying to get it out too quickly.  

For the record, I believe Tua averaged 2.5 last week. If he stays there we will hopefully get more pressure, if he speeds up we will hopefully get more mistakes.  

Edited by buffaloboyinATL
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, First Round Bust said:

in addition

he started

played lot more than AJE

so 

What a wide range. That’s basically the difference between Aaron Schobel and Chris Kelsay…

43 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Are those PFF grades? I thought that their grades in the 50s were considered poor.

Not that I put much stock in a grade after just 30 snaps. Kind of like a MLB hitter after 30 plate appearances.

How did Oliver grade out?

Yes.  And it looks like I pulled the wrong scale.  You are correct.  Here is the proper one for the NFL:

The Player Grading Scale:
100-90  Elite
89-85    Pro Bowler
84-70    Starter
69-60    Backup 
59-0       Replaceable

Oliver graded out at 72.1 overall which puts him 24th of 122.  78.8 run def, 54.6 pass rush.

Yes, it’s early.  Small sample size. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Yes.  And it looks like I pulled the wrong scale.  You are correct.  Here is the proper one for the NFL:

The Player Grading Scale:
100-90  Elite
89-85    Pro Bowler
84-70    Starter
69-60    Backup 
59-0       Replaceable

Oliver graded out at 72.1 overall.  78.8 run def, 54.6 pass rush.

Yes, it’s early.  Small sample size. 

Thanks for posting that PFF scale - I have to look it up every year when folks start referring to PFF grades.

I already referred to it on one of the O line threads - all guards and centers rated in the mid-60s, which is why I don't see a whole lot to be gained by swapping out a Boettger for a Feliciano, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Mango said:

What a wide range. That’s basically the difference between Aaron Schobel and Chris Kelsay…

kelsay got 5 or more sacks in only 3 out of his 10 seasons, all with the Bills, of course...sigh

Schobel is well, second on career sack list... and not on the wall of fame ?...and likely neve will be ??...but Hansen, Smerlas...are ???  good company guys...

anwyways...between 5 and 10 is what Mario Addison has done for the past 7 seasons, and has netted him over 47M during the span - including a 2M pay cut

2.5 second qb throws are the main reason its going to be hard to sack qbs esp in Buff with the return of crowd noise...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AddiMa00.htm

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

Not entirely related, but I just have to express my amazement in Chandler Jones getting 5 sacks, including 2 strips. 

What a way to start a season.

I'm hoping Groot can eventually do something like that.

Pretty good for a DE that is “done” 😉