The Ringer: is Regression coming for Josh Allen and the Bills?

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah but kinda have to take into consideration this 1 game and 1st of the season was against the Steelers. I mean they are known to be a tough team. imo it's nothing to be concerned about just yet.

Even if they played that poorly against the Chiefs or Bucs.......in one of the greatest homefield advantages in team history......... it would be concerning.

Even today Vegas still expects the Steelers to finish 3rd in their division.

Let's not get carried away with the strength of the opponent.......the Bills beat themselves.........they didn't take what the defense gave them,   they got out-coached by A LOT(especially in the second half) and they failed to generate a turnover and lost that battle.

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea…. Still a long way away from the Bills as some organizational juggernaut for years to come… they’ve been very successful the past two years but things can go south quick…. McD knows this better than anyone. The Panthers had the best season in their franchises history in 2015 with a 15-1 season(eventual SB loss)….. the next season they went 6-10.

I think McDermott is better equipped to avoid the ups and downs that the half-cocked River Boat Ron Rivera had............but there should be concern about the hands-off,  passive personnel approach when it came to improving the team during the offseason.   Beane nailed the Allen pick but they have squandered so much money on bad-to-middling moves in pro personnel and have a pretty low slugging % in the draft........lot's of singles.......not enough HR's.......so they really need to coach it up.  And they didn't do that Sunday.   They got out-coached by an old-hat Steelers staff that they should have had memorized by now.

If you aren't getting better.........

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Even if they played that poorly against the Chiefs or Bucs.......in one of the greatest homefield advantages in team history......... it would be concerning.

Let's not get carried away with the strength of the opponent.......the Bills beat themselves.........they didn't take what the defense gave them,   they got out-coached by A LOT(especially in the second half) and they failed to generate a turnover and lost that battle.

I agree with you about Bills beating themselves and was out coached. Not disputing that.....I'm simply saying it's too early to be concerned with only 1st game in the books imo, also speaking for myself, I do take a very good team like the Steelers into account to some degree. 

27 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You are the guy who offers no football discussion on a football message board.............just snark and other stupid comments that you could make ANYWHERE:

John Wawrow:  "my favorite noodle rock band just put out a disappointing album"

MJS:  "Crazy overreaction".

That kind of douchebot like posting contributes nothing to the forum.

Feel free to block me if you don't appreciate my posts. I talk about football all the time.

You may be the most downvoted poster here, meanwhile I have a very healthy positive reaction rate, so most people DO appreciate what I post.

32 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Completely agree. We whiffed on the strip sack. We had 3 int. opportunities and whiffed. They dared us to run and throw short all day and we opted for hero ball. Ben looked 40 years old in the 1st half. 7 holding penalties,  embarrassing....and it doesn't get easier as Mia. & WFT have good defenses. The offense and ST better get their S#!T together. 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, MJS said:

Feel free to block me if you don't appreciate my posts. I talk about football all the time.

You may be the most downvoted poster here, meanwhile I have a very healthy positive reaction rate, so most people DO appreciate what I post.

You don't realize this..........but your opinion is irrelevant on this forum.........because it is devoid of any substance.

Just fishing for approval won't change that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea…. Still a long way away from the Bills as some organizational juggernaut for years to come… they’ve been very successful the past two years but things can go south quick…. McD knows this better than anyone. The Panthers had the best season in their franchises history in 2015 with a 15-1 season(eventual SB loss)….. the next season they went 6-10.

You are really living your best life this week!  Enjoy it!

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think McDermott is better equipped to avoid the ups and downs that the half-cocked River Boat Ron Rivera had............but there should be concern about the hands-off,  passive personnel approach when it came to improving the team during the offseason.   Beane nailed the Allen pick but they have squandered so much money on bad-to-middling moves in pro personnel and have a pretty low slugging % in the draft........lot's of singles.......not enough HR's.......so they really need to coach it up.  And they didn't do that Sunday.   They got out-coached by an old-hat Steelers staff that they should have had memorized by now.

Honestly with all those mistakes it was a close game. Took a blocked punt to finish. If not blocked punt and go for Field goals might be different tune. Play calling was horrible. If blocked punt doesn't happens could be looking at a different game. It was a type first team make mistakes they'll lose. Bill's made tons of it. I'm still optimistic for this team to fix it.

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Eh, they were a mess in the 2nd half on offense and were already losing when punting the ball away…..Just completely out of sorts…..watching games from around the league really put into perspective how much of a ***** fest they were offensively. 

What I mean is that blocked punt changed the score to the game.  To outta reach for score. The mistakes going for points on field goals but went for it for 4th down.  First team in a close game make mistakes usly lose.The play calling . All fixable still optimistic. 

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

My concern is that McD isn't supervising the OC and, like other defensive type HC's, hasn't grasped that side of the game enough to do so.  Reminds me somewhat of Chan Gailey who abdicated responsibility of the defense to Edwards/Wannstedt to focus on the offense where his background was.  

9 hours ago, uninja said:

Just no, the Steeler's play us tough and its been that way for the last 3 years. We came out with a W twice, and this time we didn't.

Football is a game of inches, and against the Steeler's that's especially true.

That doesn't negate the fact that Allen, the Oline, special teams, and played poorly. As well as he Bills staff got serverly outcoached.

4 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah but kinda have to take into consideration this 1 game and 1st of the season was against the Steelers. I mean they are known to be a tough team. imo it's nothing to be concerned about just yet.

Partly true but I think the concerns stated in the playoffs. KC manhandled us. Balt defense smothered us as well. However, weather was a huge factor no doubt. I think the offensive issues shouldn't be so easily dismissed as Pitt is a tough match up. The inability to run and pass block consistently has been a theme for this team for a long time. It definitely shows up when the Bills are facing top 10 teams. Fortunately, I think the Dolphins are a team we should beat dispute the above mentioned issues. 

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

That doesn't negate the fact that Allen, the Oline, special teams, and played poorly. As well as he Bills staff got serverly outcoached.

We would have said the same thing about the 2019 game, Allen threw a pick, Singletary fumbled the ball a couple of times (lost one I think) and we got stoned at the goal line after the Tre White pick. Barely walked out of there with a win. If Big Ben would have played that game I don’t think we do tbh. 

Could say the same thing about the 2020 game. Knox fumbled and gave Pittsburgh great field position. We were doing nothing in that first half. They scored off that fumble and we looked lost. Except we did what they did to us and after the pick 6 had a hot couple of scoring drives in the second half and put the game out of reach.

If we’d lost any of those games we would be saying the same things we are now, except we’re not because we won. 

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Agree 100%. Imho, its an excuse and a cop out to use the Steeler D as an excuse. It was a total team loss. The offense just plain sucked except for one great drive. Special teams gave up a rd in a blocked punt, and the defense under preformed in the second half. Coaching was about as bad as it gets. I'm not afraid to criticize when its warranted. The Bills from top to bottom deserve the backlash. It was an unacceptable product, preparation, and strategy. 

• Like (+1) 1