The Ringer: is Regression coming for Josh Allen and the Bills?

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The thing is, when you factor out points that derive directly from turnovers, the Bills scored 14, 19, and 13 points vs. the Steelers in 2019, 2020, and 2021. And 7 of those 19 points in 2020 came after the Steelers punter shanked a punt that set the Bills up at the Steelers 40 yard line. Basically, the Steelers' defense is a terrible matchup for the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 11

Just now, Jobot said:

Such bold writing by the Ringer to publish this after a loss.. No balls to come out with this 'hot' take before week 1 eh?

It was clearly written as a result of week 1… I’m not sure what you mean. The entire article analyzes his game vs the Steelers 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

good to see a analysis that is reasonable - give Pitts some credit they played well - in addition to their front 4thye changed to a zone defense scheme - a from their man-heavy schemes of the recent past led by safety Fitzpatick who played very well  - he had 10 combined tackles and was a ball-hawk all game...

I was ready to be dismissive of this as a typical overreaction/hot take - but it's a really detailed and thoughtful article.

I thought Allen might actually improve from last year, given the trajectory. That probably wasn't realistic.  Nor do I think he's really regressing in any kind of alarming way.  I still see him as one of the top QB's in the league.

The Bills will adjust. Other teams' fans like to say things like "the Steelers just gave the league the blueprint on how to beat the Bills," but as the article mentions, that won't be easy for most defenses to do.  At the end of the season, we may look back on Pittsburgh as one of the best defenses that we played.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

8 minutes ago, Success said:

The Bills will adjust. Other teams' fans like to say things like "the Steelers just gave the league the blueprint on how to beat the Bills," but as the article mentions, that won't be easy for most defenses to do.  At the end of the season, we may look back on Pittsburgh as one of the best defenses that we played.

I think its a blueprint for now, but if Allen as proved anything it's that he self scouts really well. When he was a rookie he was awful under pressure and against the blitz. Fast forward to late 2019 and 2020, Allen became one of the best QBs under pressure, blitzing him was always a mistake and he was awesome against man coverage. Now defenses are playing a more zone based concept against our offense and it works as long as you have a line that can generate consistent pressure with just 4 and your backend holds up (which is much easier said than done, not a ton of defenses are that well built to pull it off).

The team preaches relentless improvement, and I'm sure McDermott, Allen and Daboll are reviewing the tape and looking at offensive concepts that can better mitigate that style of defensive play.

• Like (+1) 1

I honestly think that the Steelers game was us shaking the cobwebs off, and getting our conditioning in order. I expect another sluggish game this week in Miami, in 90 degree heat/humidity. Then we have Tennessee and KC to worry about in weeks 4 and 5. 

All that said, I think we go on a hot streak again this season after the bye. We have too much talent on the field and too many talented coaches to not make that happen in what should be a banner year for us. 

59 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The thing is, when you factor out points that derive directly from turnovers, the Bills scored 14, 19, and 13 points vs. the Steelers in 2019, 2020, and 2021. And 7 of those 19 points in 2020 came after the Steelers punter shanked a punt that set the Bills up at the Steelers 40 yard line. Basically, the Steelers' defense is a terrible matchup for the Bills. 

I think the article was fair and largely positive but lacked the historical perspective you have provided here.  It's an A+ point.

• Thank you (+1) 1

McDermott is now 3-2 in openers — but there is a fat asterisk on this record as the three wins came against the eventual 7-9, 4-12, and 2-14 Jets. And the Bills had to come back from 16 down in one of those.

Pittsburgh's defense is very good and this is no surprise, nor is a Bills opening day loss in consideration of McDermotts game 1 record.

Of the 110 Superbowl teams, 20 have dropped their opener.  I'm just not that worried.

I rewatched the game and still don't feel any better about the coaching, oline, Allen, etc. It was just a complete mess and they truly looked like a team that believed the media hype and thought they could do whatever they wanted to without making adjustments to their game plan.

I will say the defense was pretty solid but shades of years past in that they collapsed when it mattered most in crunch time, and still no real consistent pass rush with front four and not much blitzing either when their were opportunities to do so.

But still waiting to see what happens this week before completely panic settles in especially in regards to Allen and the extension which at least personally I wanted to wait another year for.