Can the Bills win a SB without a killer instinct

Rebel101

McDermott Is soft as *****. It is apparent and Daboll is no different this team gets a lead and lets off the gas…they said they learned to stay aggressive last year clearly the sportsman on McDermott just don’t feel comfortable putting a cleat to someone’s throat…it is obviously an issue can they overcome it tho? Cause if not it’s just not gonna happen 

• Vomit 9
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Disagree 4
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Dislike 4

13 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

McDermott Is soft as *****. It is apparent and Daboll is no different this team gets a lead and lets off the gas…they said they learned to stay aggressive last year clearly the sportsman on McDermott just don’t feel comfortable putting a cleat to someone’s throat…it is obviously an issue can they overcome it tho? Cause if not it’s just not gonna happen 

No he isn't.  They got beat.  If anything the offensive line is 'soft'.  They tend to get pushed around physically.  Their bad play leads to the lack of a running game, which leads to obvious passing situations, which leads to a pass rush they already can't handle getting worse for the QB to deal with.

The coach is not soft.  If anything he may be tougher than you think because he knows this is a long season, because he CAN control his emotions, because he has the discipline to think of the long term plan for the season and not abandon it at the first 1/2 of game that doesn't go his way.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, mjd1001 said:

No he isn't.  They got beat.  If anything the offensive line is 'soft'.  They tend to get pushed around physically.  Their bad play leads to the lack of a running game, which leads to obvious passing situations, which leads to a pass rush they already can't handle getting worse for the QB to deal with.

The coach is not soft.  If anything he may be tougher than you think because he knows this is a long season, because he CAN control his emotions, because he has the discipline to think of the long term plan for the season and not abandon it at the first 1/2 of game that doesn't go his way.

McDermott isn’t soft. Im Not talking about one game and we got beat because we were soft and stupid didn’t go for it twice on 4th n 1 at the 50 why cause we had a 10 point lead? Then we play defense softer we start running the ball we don’t go full throttle from start to finish n if u think McDermott has a killer instinct you don’t have one either 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 4

2 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

McDermott isn’t soft. Im Not talking about one game and we got beat because we were soft and stupid didn’t go for it twice on 4th n 1 at the 50 why cause we had a 10 point lead? Then we play defense softer we start running the ball we don’t go full throttle from start to finish n if u think McDermott has a killer instinct you don’t have one either 

What do you define as killer instinct?  going 'full speed' and using every single one of your best plays for all the teams on the schedule to see?  Using your best players on every single play, not resting them and insuring long term health (yes, EVERY good team does that now).

When you go 'full speed ahead' all the time, you are normally the one who lands on the ground face first while your opponent is left standing because if they know what they are doing they can react to you.

What you think of as 'killer instinct' would have you maybe win opening day as a coach most years, but have you fired by mid-season all the time. Toughness is nothing if you don't plan and use your brain too.

Edited by mjd1001

2 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Pitt is also a good team. They started 11-0 last year, have a future HOF QB who while not in his prime can still make plays. Tomlin is a very good HC. I thought the Bills would win a close one but I am not surprised they lost. Pitt has a good D that caused problems for our offense. Its not like we lost to the Jets here.

I do think they showed the instinct last season, the difference is they got their ass kicked the last 2 times they played.  The O-line kinda sucks and the whole success of the offense lies 100% on Allen, if he isn’t on fire, they get smoked.  That’s the formula many teams with Great QBs have failed with.  You have to build a real team around a great QB for any kind of success.  Thus far, it’s the Allen and Diggs show and not much else.   Until the line can hold up against more than one decent pass rusher on the opposing team, it’s going to be tough.  The Steelers are pretty loaded and they OWNED the line.  Doesn’t matter how much killer instinct you have when you are getting run over.

• Like (+1) 1

I realize that defense wasn't the big problem this past week, but still I wonder how far the team can go without an All-pro level impact player as part of their defensive front 7.

Don't get me wrong - I believe the Bills have good players in those positions.  Just not anyone approaching the level of the Watt or Bosa brothers, Aaron Donald, Kahlil Mack, et.  No game changers that opposing offenses have to plan around. 

The Bills have targeted the front 7 with top draft picks that last 4 years, starting with Edmunds, but so far, none of those players are a household name that puts fear in the hearts of the other team. 

5 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I do think they showed the instinct last season, the difference is they got their ass kicked the last 2 times they played.  The O-line kinda sucks and the whole success of the offense lies 100% on Allen, if he isn’t on fire, they get smoked.  That’s the formula many teams with Great QBs have failed with.  You have to build a real team around a great QB for any kind of success.  Thus far, it’s the Allen and Diggs show and not much else.   Until the line can hold up against more than one decent pass rusher on the opposing team, it’s going to be tough.  The Steelers are pretty loaded and they OWNED the line.  Doesn’t matter how much killer instinct you have when you are getting run over.

Agree 100%

The offensive line is physically overmatched too often and they just aren't good.  That is the weakest spot of this team the coaches have to coach around.

It has nothing to do with killer instinct of the coach if the offensive line plays bad or is overmatched.  You want to coach 'tough' and go 'full speed ahead' with a bad offensive line that is overmatched in a particular game?  You won't be having a healthy QB for long.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Pitt is also a good team. They started 11-0 last year, have a future HOF QB who while not in his prime can still make plays. Tomlin is a very good HC. I thought the Bills would win a close one but I am not surprised they lost. Pitt has a good D that caused problems for our offense. Its not like we lost to the Jets here.

It was a tight game that was blown open by a blocked punt.  Last season it was a tight game blown open by a pick 6.  The season before it was a tight game, a 22 yard punt and tre pick gave buffalo field position for buffalo to score - and it still took buffalo stopping duck hodges twice in the last 5 minutes and 2 redzone picks to win that game.  

I just look at it like its two teams that are fairly well matched in what they try to do.  Our weakness meets their strength and vice versa.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't agree with the OP, re: McDermott, but I do wonder who the "dogs" are on this team.  

Allen, Diggs for sure.  

Who else has that dog mentality?  Anyone, at all, on the defense?  

As much as I want to dismiss this, you can tell what teams have that mentality and what teams don't... It's why I was worried about playing the Steelers opening week after beating them 2 years in a row.  It's why i'm not worried about that with Miami. 

Edited by SCBills

4 minutes ago, dneveu said:

It was a tight game that was blown open by a blocked punt.  Last season it was a tight game blown open by a pick 6.  The season before it was a tight game, a 22 yard punt and tre pick gave buffalo field position for buffalo to score - and it still took buffalo stopping duck hodges twice in the last 5 minutes and 2 redzone picks to win that game.  

I just look at it like its two teams that are fairly well matched in what they try to do.  Our weakness meets their strength and vice versa.  

Thank you, feel like everyone here talking doom and gloom (guilty of that a little myself) forgets that the last two times we played Pittsburgh it was a dogfight pretty much the whole game. We played a tight game again, except this time the chips fell the other way.