Bills unlikely to leave Buffalo if PSE doesn’t get public or state funding for stadium

BuffaloBills1998

Austin was never an option, Jerry Jones would not let that happen.  He believes Cowboys own Texas (exc Houston area) as their "home" turf.

Buffalo (the community) deserves to get state funding, consistent with what the state provided NYC area for new stadiums/arenas for Mets, Nets, Yankees, Knicks/Rangers and Islanders.  The issue is local funding, which is going to be significantly less given the economic health of the region.

The other cities that could try and "poach" the Bills, I'd keep my eye on San Diego and St. Louis, maybe San Antonio (before Austin) and Portland.  This is a real possibility if there is not a stadium deal.  The NFL does not care about fan loyalty (nor do other sports leagues).  Decisions are based on economics, not emotion.

12 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Say no to public funding! Our tax dollars would be better spent on building the world's premier dialysis center after the team leaves and the city crumbles. 

or a really, really big Delta Sonic (plus the associated costs for road repairs near the entrance(s) to said Delta Sonic).

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

or a really, really big Delta Sonic (plus the associated costs for road repairs near the entrance(s) to said Delta Sonic).

And a Bass Pro Shop.  Buffalo has always been a car wash town.  Football merely tided us over between car wash and bass pro fishing season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

“If I want to make some money, I'll go drill another well.”  - TP

To be fair, that is what he said when he bought the Sabres. For barely $190M.

Little different when you fork over $1.4BILLION in cash.

Plus, I'd rather he not do any more fracking if possible.

15 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

Delta Sonic Stadium has a nice ring to it.

FWIW, I recently heard that Kim wants to sell the Sabres and be done with it but Terry won't let it happen.  If NY State doesn't play ball, PSE will actively look to move the team.  From the percentages that were tossed out there in this convo, PSE and NYS do not seem super far apart but I don't negotiate billion dollar stadiums for a living.

Take all with a shaker of salt.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Was tongue in cheek and I agree re: fracking!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Delta Sonic Stadium has a nice ring to it.

To be fair, that is what Terry said in a very different oil and gas market.  Terry sold much his holdings at peak market.  Terry sold East Resources to Royal Shell for $4.7 billion in 2010.  Royal Shell liquidated that crap for $541 million last year.  Getting out of the oil and gas market and into sports was some pretty serendipitous timing by the look of it.

https://www.forbes.com/profile/terrence-pegula/?sh=8eec2963cc7c

https://www.post-gazette.com/business/powersource/2020/05/04/Shell-Appalachian-shale-National-Fuel-Gas-Seneca-Resources-petrochemicals-Swepi/stories/202005040107

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The Pegulas don't have much of a hand to play. They don't want to move the team and they don't want to pay for a new stadium. 

Not WANTING to move the team, and being stupid for not moving the team are two different things. I want the Bills to stay in Buffalo (or at least western New York) as much as the next fan, but realistically, can the area's economy support an NFL franchise?

It would break my heart, but I suspect there is a city or two willing to foot SOME of the costs and able to support at least league mid level ticket prices, and PSLs. I just don't see the local fans willingly supporting a 100% rise in ticket prices along with thousands of dollars for PSLs for the right to buy those tickets.

As far as gov't $$$ to help and pay for the stadium, IMHO, the people of Erie county and NYS will feel the money is better spent elsewhere (and I can't say I blame them).

My biggest fear is someplace (maybe like St. Louis) wants a team and is willing to pay for it. I'm not 100% sure the team won't move and I think that anybody who claims they are positive this will play out one way or the other is just whistling in the graveyard to cover their fears.

If the NFL was starting from scratch there would be 0% chance Buffalo would be awarded a franchise.  I think we can all agree on that. 

Our only hope is that the state/local/NFL/Pegulas agree on a new stadium deal that keeps team here for next 30+ years.  Absent a new stadium, the team will not stay in Buffalo.  The NFL will put immense pressure on the Pegulas to relocate the team and/or sell it.  That is the reality of the NFL today.  Even with a new stadium and enhanced revenue, Buffalo will pale in comparison to larger cities and their communities deeper wallets, but, they will be competitive enough to survive.

I'm not suggesting this is right, I actually think it isn't, but, the NFL and other sports leagues are driving revenue / profits and franchise values.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TXBILLSFAN said:

If the NFL was starting from scratch there would be 0% chance Buffalo would be awarded a franchise.  I think we can all agree on that. 

Our only hope is that the state/local/NFL/Pegulas agree on a new stadium deal that keeps team here for next 30+ years.  Absent a new stadium, the team will not stay in Buffalo.  The NFL will put immense pressure on the Pegulas to relocate the team and/or sell it.  That is the reality of the NFL today.  Even with a new stadium and enhanced revenue, Buffalo will pale in comparison to larger cities and their communities deeper wallets, but, they will be competitive enough to survive.

I'm not suggesting this is right, I actually think it isn't, but, the NFL and other sports leagues are driving revenue / profits and franchise values.

This is it exactly.

Public funding for the stadium equals the locals pitching in to have an NFL team in a city that would otherwise never be able to justify it.

Spread that cost out over the entire state (read: Albany, NYC, etc), and that cost becomes much more reasonable and worth it for all us Bills fans.

I dont think the team will move anytime soon, but if we don't play along and compromise, then we absolutely set ourselves up for losing the team at some point in the future.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Only relevant part of article...  Flimsy imo.

"But a source who knows the family and has spoken to them in recent weeks tells The Post that the threats are just that — idle threats: The Pegula family isn't likely to move the Bills, even if they don't get state or local funding to help build a new 60,000-seat stadium, the source said."

I do think there’s some truth to this.  To me it did seem like PSE was postering to try to get as much public funding as possible.  

Tim Graham is someone who seems to very much plugged in the Bills and PSE.  He has always said that he thinks it’s unlikely that the team moves and that Austin was one of the few relocation “Boogeymen” left now that LA has 2 teams and Toronto is dead.  

But his message to fans was - don’t think it CAN’T happen.  So it seems like it’s improbable but not completely unlikely 

• Like (+1) 1

This is not to bash OP at all. But I would rather read about a battle for 2nd team Gunner than this lol 

Covid has a better chance of miraculously disappearing tmrw than the team going anywhere.

There's a better chance of me getting picked up in a bar by Kim Pegula, and her leaving the Bills to me in her will.

I'd rather about equipment manager switching detergents. 

THIS TEAM IS GOING NOWHERE. EVER. DO NOT LET SOME POLITICAL LEVERAGING TRY TO RUIN YOUR DAY!

Enjoy the season guys, it's here. The teams fine. Our biggest threat is Daboll and im guessing he's had a attitude adjustment. Everything is fine enjoy 😉 

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

FWIW, I recently heard that Kim wants to sell the Sabres and be done with it but Terry won't let it happen.  If NY State doesn't play ball, PSE will actively look to move the team.  From the percentages that were tossed out there in this convo, PSE and NYS do not seem super far apart but I don't negotiate billion dollar stadiums for a living.

Take all with a shaker of salt.

similar to what i have heard as well. Both sides sounds like they agree public money will be spent, just a matter of how much and terms. Ive sold enterprise software for 35 years, all deals get to this point. You say you want my offering, i say i want your business...but now the evalution is over and the spending gets real. This is when the real work begins, and is usually the longest stage in the sales process

If both sides want to get the deal done, it will get done. But in no way do i think the Bills leaving is impossible, it can happen if NYS becomes dug in for political purposes.

BTW, not to get all political, but NYS got a little over $100B in the Rescue plan funds, i don't think 1% of that going to fund a stadium to keep an entire region moving forward is a bad use of funds.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.