Bills unlikely to leave Buffalo if PSE doesn’t get public or state funding for stadium

BuffaloBills1998

5 minutes ago, Patience said:

Are we to infer that if they do not receive public/state funding, that they will spend their own funds to build it? 

I don't think so. This article offers no new information other than this following sentence:

"However, Claire Partain of Austonia reported in early September that "the move is looking more unlikely than ever a month after the rumors first began."

Who the hell is Claire Partain and what the hell does she know?

It seems like it's more unlikely simply because talks are moving forward positively.

20 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I appreciate the sharing of information, but this should be merged with the existing thread about the new stadium.

5 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I don't think so. This article offers no new information other than this following sentence:

"However, Claire Partain of Austonia reported in early September that "the move is looking more unlikely than ever a month after the rumors first began."

It seems like it's more unlikely simply because talks are moving forward positively.

I appreciate the sharing of information, but this should be merged with the existing thread about the new stadium.

Yeah I know, I just didn’t feel like digging up an old post that was mainly a post for two people bickering at each other. Plus we haven’t heard much about the stadium for a while and I thought I’d post this. I have to agree though, I think the negotiation talks are going into a positive direction and that’s good. Poloncarz did say a deal will get done but it just has to be a fair deal for all. Hochoul also said a deal will get done and her administration is working very hard towards it

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Yeah I know, I just didn’t feel like digging up an old post that was mainly a post for two people bickering at each other. Plus we haven’t heard much about the stadium for a while and I thought I’d post this. I have to agree though, I think the negotiation talks are going into a positive direction and that’s good. Poloncarz did say a deal will get done but it just has to be a fair deal for all. Hochoul also said a deal will get done and her administration is working very hard towards it

The way they argue you would think they were jolted lovers or something.

The Pegulas office has stated they are not going to renew current lease until agreement is made on new stadium.

That is a very firm line. Without a renewal they have no place to play.

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

So this media member from Austonia (Austin-based local outlet) was responding specifically to the Wickersham rumor that Austin was a suitor. We’ve known for a while now that Austin was complete bs, since various members of the Austin local gov’t were asked about this immediately after the rumor broke and none of them knew anything about it.

Only relevant part of article...  Flimsy imo.

"But a source who knows the family and has spoken to them in recent weeks tells The Post that the threats are just that — idle threats: The Pegula family isn't likely to move the Bills, even if they don't get state or local funding to help build a new 60,000-seat stadium, the source said."

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Until some city dying for an NFL team offers up a pot of gold to move,  city officials need to put up money.  Not asking too much to build a stadium every 50 years. Thinking that they can renovate again is total BS,  you have some cities like Atlanta and Washington that are going on their second stadiums while Buffalo just renovates.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

She's a reporter form the Austin paper.  It's worth noting that Austin officials knew nothing about the Bills considering Ausitn at the time that story broke.

Anyway, how does the NYP break this story?  Who the hell is "Josh Kosman"?

7 hours ago, Limeaid said:

The way they argue you would think they were jolted lovers or something.

The Pegulas office has stated they are not going to renew current lease until agreement is made on new stadium.

That is a very firm line. Without a renewal they have no place to play.

I know they say they won't renew but if push comes to shove I think they will renew on a year to year basis or a short term lease until its gets figured. I believe the Chargers and Raiders did that for the longest time when they were in SD/OAK. While those teams eventually moved I doubt that happens here. Everyone knows how important the Bills are to WNY. The Bills are Buffalo and are one of the main reasons Buffalo is on the map nationally. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The Pegulas don't have much of a hand to play. They don't want to move the team and they don't want to pay for a new stadium. 

Agreed. they overpayed for the team (about 40% above the appraised value) to ensure they'd get it and keep it in Buffalo, and they'll be flexible on the stadium for the same reason. With that said, they'll probably play the "we overpayed to keep the team here" card with some degree of success. In the end, the funding will be somewhere around the 50/50 mark, with negotiations to determine exactly where the line between public and private financing is drawn.

Why is it so hard for people to understand that if the Pegulas are the only ones funding the stadium then the repayment of that investment will fall squarely on the backs of those few people who sit in the seats on Sunday? Every Bills fan should be praying for public funding to spread the cost over as many people as possible. Terry and Kim do not owe you a stadium. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The PS&E guy was on WGR and he sounded very confident in everything, saying that the vaccine policy agreement is the same level of cooperation and respect as the stadium talks... and it is a pleasure working with the State and EC and he will be back on commenting when they get further and there is something he can comment on.

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Why is it so hard for people to understand that if the Pegulas are the only ones funding the stadium then the repayment of that investment will fall squarely on the backs of those few people who sit in the seats on Sunday? Every Bills fan should be praying for public funding to spread the cost over as many people as possible. Terry and Kim do not owe you a stadium. 

Exactly. Which is better- less public funding that will disproportionately, negatively impact WNY, or a larger slice of the cost that helps defray the impact on the people who care the most. Regardless of structure Bills fans will have to pay. Why not have downstate folks contribute to something for once that benefits Buffalo?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.