2020 vs. 2021 (Overall Quality).....

Bill from NYC

Knowing how early it is, I am getting the sense that the quality of this year's players doesn't seem to be as good as last year's. Does anyone agree? I'm thinking that at least so far, Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Texas A&M, Clemson, and Florida have taken a step backwards and these are only the teams that immediately come to mind. Miami and UNC also look as if they have problems. The QB play sticks out to me as being clearly inferior. 

Will the 2022 draft not be so great?

Again, it is early but I am wondering if anyone has noticed this or even thinks that it is possible. 

@Buffalo716 @BADOLBILZ @Willyville Guy @YoloinOhio

17 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Knowing how early it is, I am getting the sense that the quality of this year's players doesn't seem to be as good as last year's. Does anyone agree? I'm thinking that at least so far, Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Texas A&M, Clemson, and Florida have taken a step backwards and these are only the teams that immediately come to mind. Miami and UNC also look as if they have problems. The QB play sticks out to me as being clearly inferior. 

Will the 2022 draft not be so great?

Again, it is early but I am wondering if anyone has noticed this or even thinks that it is possible. 

@Buffalo716 @BADOLBILZ @Willyville Guy @YoloinOhio

I’m open to the idea that OSU and other programs severely impacted by the pandemic have lost meaningful development time, and that issue would certainly show up on the field – that could be what you’re seeing. I think it’s too soon to tell though. Programs like the ones you mentioned have personnel options at several positions every year and usually spend at least a few weeks figuring out the right mix. (And in the case of Ohio State’s defense, they’re trying to figure out a lot more than that.) So I typically expect to see the quality of play improve from week to week at the top end of college football. Interesting issue to keep an eye on. If there has been an overall step backwards, and players in the draft appear less polished and NFL-ready than we have come to expect, then hopefully the Bills will trade down to stack picks and save cap space.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Willyville Guy said:

If there has been an overall step backwards, and players in the draft appear less polished and NFL-ready than we have come to expect, then hopefully the Bills will trade down to stack picks and save cap space.

If I am correct, the above would be a smart idea. 

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 2

I agree with the poster above me , that a lot of schools lost a lot of good college quarterbacks 

It's definitely not a strong draft class for quarterbacks 

Defense are usually ahead of offenses early in the season.. and lots of the new/newer starting quarterbacks are definitely struggling 

It's going to take a few weeks to see which positions are truly going to be strong or weak in the draft but cornerback seems to be loaded 

Wide receiver may not be as loaded as the last few years.. but it's solid

Let's see how it shakes out over the next 10 weeks

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I agree with the poster above me , that a lot of schools lost a lot of good college quarterbacks 

It's definitely not a strong draft class for quarterbacks 

It's going to take a few weeks to see which positions are truly going to be strong or weak in the draft but cornerback seems to be loaded 

The above leads me to question just how much the above factors are related. My early guess is quite a bit but again, it is early.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.