Highmark Stadium now requiring vaccination for entry

StHustle
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan,

LISTEN UP!

We need a discussion thread for the highly relevant issue of new HIghmark Stadium vaccination requirements - how to handle vaccine card requirements, apps, how to re-sell tickets if desired, refund policy and consequences, stadium entry concerns etc.

Please try to refrain from becoming an internet epidemiologist or virologist, and recall that there are many many other places on the interwebs to have general political or covid-19 discussion. 

Keep it directly related to Highmark Stadium and to Bills Football, Please

That Is All.  Thanks People!

3 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

The place where i used to live in GA has been over 100% hospital capacity for months now.

Very low vax rates.

They called in national guard for help. Still calling for it.

They are turning people away. 

It was rural GA.

Right, and a friend of mine who lives in Boise ID was talking to me about the two nurses he just helped move into new digs.  Their hospital is stuffed to the gills with people who are sicker then dogs, in the ICU or overflowed out onto med/surg floors with a team of ICU and surg nurses treating them.  And the vast majority of them are unvaccinated.  Parts of ID are rationing care and like GA, calling in National Guard for help because they can't afford to pay enough to attract enough contract nurses like @aristocrat's lady, competing with more affluent areas of the country.

I glanced at that Atlantic study and shook my head because it just doesn't match the data from so many states where I know "boots on the ground" and see an overall parallel between the hospitalization curve and the ICU curve.  And like a lot of media coverage it doesn't do a good job of putting the context up front.  When I have time, I'll look at it more carefully and look into the sources and see what's behind it.  I wonder if it's data where overall hospitalization numbers from the very populated and more vaccinated NE which have space to hospitalize people who aren't very ill, are swamping out numbers from the less populated and less vaccinated Midwest and South and presenting a skewed picture. 

6 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

anyone know how to get a digital card besides clear (expensive) if you don’t live in a state that offers it?  Since the CDC has the info of who is vaxxed, is there an app or national method?  Would be nice for CDC to make one available.  

clear digital vaccine card is free!!!!

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

another thought: will the Bills have a vax site setup outsode the stadium Sat and Sun?  Could be a good idea. 

boys on GR said Poloncarz was worried about folks enjoying the tailgate a bit too much  rolling up to get vaxed and it presented some "challenges"

Saturday would have been very smart

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

how??!!

https://www.clearme.com/vaccine-validation

just follow the prompts

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Right, and a friend of mine who lives in Boise ID was talking to me about the two nurses he just helped move into new digs.  Their hospital is stuffed to the gills with people who are sicker then dogs, in the ICU or overflowed out onto med/surg floors with a team of ICU and surg nurses treating them.  And the vast majority of them are unvaccinated.  Parts of ID are rationing care and like GA, calling in National Guard for help because they can't afford to pay enough to attract enough contract nurses like @aristocrat's lady, competing with more affluent areas of the country.

I glanced at that Atlantic study and shook my head because it just doesn't match the data from so many states where I know "boots on the ground" and see an overall parallel between the hospitalization curve and the ICU curve.  And like a lot of media coverage it doesn't do a good job of putting the context up front.  When I have time, I'll look at it more carefully and look into the sources and see what's behind it.  I wonder if it's data where overall hospitalization numbers from the very populated and more vaccinated NE which have space to hospitalize people who aren't very ill, are swamping out numbers from the less populated and less vaccinated Midwest and South and presenting a skewed picture. 

i also did not read much of it, but my first impression is it was based on numbers pre August, which to me kinda makes it useless.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

I didn’t know of verbal abuse of those wearing masks.  Of course, there were maybe a few dozen of us in the stadium, so that may explain why it was hard to find a target.  It’s interesting that such comments were voiced.  I have the freedom to wear a mask in a sea of people if I so choose.  I suppose that someone in the sea has the freedom to comment about that choice, but … it seems hypocritical for one so concerned with freedom and individual liberty to chastise my use of the same rights. 

I agree.

Yeah I forget who it was, but I've seen a couple of stories here and a couple elsewhere.

It's actually quite common thing around here, along with abusing people who choose to get vaccinated.  Most of my rural-living relatives who got vaccinated did so as privately as they could and didn't tell anyone outside of a couple trusted family members for that reason, they didn't want to be ostracized or abused.  When my kid visited for Christmas from NYS she was shocked by the amount of what stopped short of abuse, but what I'll call "mask aggressiveness" for want of a better term, meaning unmasked people who see a person going about their own business and wearing a mask, and deliberately get in their space and their face and even follow them around.

38 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I think @Hapless Bills Fan has explained it correctly multiple times 

The CDC, government, whoever you want to call it ... 

Has not done a good job properly explaining the vaccine.. the communication from the top down has been poor and left some people skeptical 

If they explain the science in a more clear concise way, It could help

Everyone’s entitled to an opinion, but I look at stuff like that as a cop out.  It’s an excuse not to get the vax.  I consider myself to be highly educated, and I can’t muster more than a rudimentary understanding of the constructs of the various vaccines.  That’s why I do things like trust the experts—the people who dedicate their lives, in non-partisan organizations like the CDC and the FDA—to figuring this stuff out.  Maybe that’s a point about this struggle with respect to individualism that we have as a society right now.  It’s fine to “do research” and to question what one is told.  But that approach has its limits.  The guy, for example, rolling chalupas at Taco Bell is highly, highly unlikely to ever engage in enough meaningful research to timely assess the efficacy and safety of any vaccine.  

That’s why, in the community that is this country, we pool our resources to fund things like the FDA and the CDC to assess such things.  And so it is that we’re at a point where some of us don’t feel comfortable attending football games because of the crowd that is busy “researching” the COVID vaccines and that has not yet been vaccinated, and some of us are frustrated by the fact that the County and the Bills decided that the window in which to conduct such research has ended, and that those who have not accepted the vaccine or who have declined the vaccine are not welcome at a public gathering to enjoy a football game involving two privately-owned teams.  It’s too bad, but at this point the reality is that those in charge (the County and PSE) have to do what’s best for the greatest number of their constituents and customers.  That happens to be limiting in-person attendance to the vaccinated, as they are empowered to do.  Such are the ups and downs of our capitalist, representative democracy. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

https://www.clearme.com/vaccine-validation

just follow the prompts

i also did not read much of it, but my first impression is it was based on numbers pre August, which to me kinda makes it useless.

Agree.

I would completely believe that it might have been the case back in April-mid June and even into July most places outside of MO. 

Delta changed things.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree.

Yeah I forget who it was, but I've seen a couple of stories here and a couple elsewhere.

It's actually quite common thing around here, along with abusing people who choose to get vaccinated.  Most of my rural-living relatives who got vaccinated did so as privately as they could and didn't tell anyone outside of a couple trusted family members for that reason, they didn't want to be ostracized or abused.  When my kid visited for Christmas from NYS she was shocked by the amount of what stopped short of abuse, but what I'll call "mask aggressiveness" for want of a better term.

It’s hypocritical and ridiculous.  I’ve had enough of it.  If someone doesn’t want to vax, I disagree with it, but that’s their choice and I let them be. If someone doesn’t want to wear the mask, or wants to wear it improperly, I disagree with it and see it as selfish, but that again is their choice and I move on.  If someone wants to harass me about it, then they have to do it eye to eye six inches from my nose because I’m personally done taking their nonsense and having them give their nonsense to my wife and kids.   They get a lot quieter when that happens. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Dude, you've been given logic and explanations, and you aren't accepting them.  Whatever, but let's not pretend you're the sole arbiter on the soundness of logic and reason. 

I get it you're frustrated, and that's understandable.  But a policy doesn't have to be perfect and fit every case to be logically sound over a population.

The safest people who could possibly go to the stadium are those with natural immunity who are testing negative within 72 hours of the event. 

They are not allowed in the stadium under the guise of safety.  

This is a very common policy of many event centers around the country.  Vax or Negative Test. 

That is why I question the logic of this move given how it’s being sold to the public. 

I believe it’s healthy to question people in power.  Then come to the conclusion that I either agree or disagree with them.  

When it comes to Erie/Highmark, my conclusion is that this is not about stadium safety, but about community safety.   I believe they are using the government levers of power to cudgel people into getting the vaccine or miss out on what they know is a passion of many in the community.  

They won’t say the silent part out loud, and therefore the messaging is illogical. 

I won’t say anymore on this after this post, but I believe all the evidence and statements I’ve seen regarding this issue point to this conclusion.  

I think it’s an abuse of power, but one they are legally able to do.  

I would hope they’ll do the right thing and allow those who ask for refunds to be refunded given this new policy.  

For everyone else, enjoy the game, and hope that eventually none of this never ending overreach of the past 18 months comes for things you care about.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Disagree 4

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The safest people who could possibly go to the stadium are those with natural immunity who are testing negative within 72 hours of the event. 

They are not allowed in the stadium under the guise of safety.  

I believe it’s healthy to question people in power.  Then come to the conclusion that I either agree or disagree with them.  

When it comes to Erie/Highmark, my conclusion is that this is not about stadium safety, but about community safety.   I believe they are using the government levers of power to cudgel people into getting the vaccine or miss out on what they know is a passion of many in the community.  

I won’t say anymore on this, but I believe all the evidence and statements I’ve seen regarding this issue point to this conclusion.  

I think it’s an abuse of power, but one they are able to legally do.  

I would hope they’ll do the right thing and allow those who ask for refunds to be refunded given this new policy.  

For everyone else, enjoy the game and hope that eventually none of this overreach comes for things you care about.  

You try to sound reasonable, while slipping in unreasonable points.  

You ask for unreasonable things and then declare anything else to be disingenuous and lacking any merit. And then you end it with FUD in your proclamation that eventually they’re nefariously coming to get you for something. 

If schools do anything other than provide a bulletproof vest for every single person in the school then it’s not about safety…

You can make a horseshit argument with literally everything by taking it to the extreme. It doesn’t mean current policy is rooted in a lack of logic or nefarious action.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

You try to sound reasonable, while slipping in unreasonable points.  

You ask for unreasonable things and then declare anything else to be disingenuous and lacking any merit. And then you end it with FUD in your proclamation that eventually they’re nefariously coming to get you for something. 

If schools do anything other than provide a bulletproof vest for every single person in the school then it’s not about safety…

You can make a horseshit argument with literally everything by taking it to the extreme. It doesn’t mean current policy is rooted in a lack of logic or nefarious action.

How is asking for, literally, the most common event site covid protocol “extreme or unreasonable”?  (Vaccine Card or 72 hour Neg Test)

The Bills policy is extreme and unreasonable.  Only a handful of places have this policy.  

Yes, after 18 months to slow the spread, I’ve become skeptical of all this.  You are correct.   Somehow they’ve convinced people that it’s everyone else’s fault for the measures they impose on us except those with the power to actually stop the  measures they, themselves, are imposing on us. 

We’ll never agree on this.  I said I’d stop debating this, so I will.  

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

The only that irritates me thing about the policy is that it isn't extending to everyone in the stadium (players, media, staff, etc.).  Pretty sure MSG is not allowing NBA players to play in the stadium that aren't vaccinated.  

I think(?) Barclays Center is the same for the Nets.  I assume thats worked out with NBAPA

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I can agree to that .. it sucks that the pegulas  didn't enforce their own rules at the stadium

And there's  been two sides for a while now.. but it definitely just got magnified

I live in the city ... Do you know how crazy it was at my local bar last night? People were freaking out... Some Long Time season ticket holders saying they'll never watch the Bills again... Not lying

And then there was a crowd giving it back to them.. fights literally were about to break out

We're all Bills fans 

I think it's silly to let something like a vaccination status tear that down... What if you're somebody with a weak immune system that can't get vaccines? 

Are you to be ridiculed? Everything isn't black and white

I agree with not ridiculing or insulting people who aren't vaccinated or don't want to be vaccinated.  For one thing, I know a lot of them.  While I disagree, they by and large aren't ignorant or idiots or any of the other labels that get tossed around cheaply.  (Some are, but that's true everywhere). 

There's just an absolute deluge of misinformation out there, a lot of it dressed up to look plausible and really takes someone who knows their stuff to deconstruct.   As I said on another thread, I added it up and I must have spent 3-4 weeks of my life by now watching and reading stuff that folks sent me and talking to people about it (and I mean talking, not debating or degrading)

BTW. I know a bunch of people who have suppressed immune systems for various reasons....ALL of them are vaccinated on their physician's advice.  Many have gotten a booster, a few are waiting.  I'm not saying there aren't people who have a medical reason not to be vaxxed, but they are far fewer than some believe.   The question is when immunocompromised people get vaccinated, is it effective or are they still very much at risk?

I believe it was nuts at your local bar last night.  It was nuts on here, frankly, and we tried to take out the worst stuff.

My point is that the folks who were "giving it back to them" were probably already divided from the "I'll never watch the Bills again over this!" folks, they just weren't starting bar fights over it a week ago.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, SCBills said:

How is asking for, literally, the most common event site covid protocol “extreme or unreasonable”?  (Vaccine Card or 72 hour Neg Test)

The Bills policy is extreme and unreasonable.  Only a handful of places have this policy.  

Yes, after 18 months to slow the spread, I’ve become skeptical of all this.  You are correct.   Somehow they’ve convinced people that it’s everyone else’s fault for the measures they impose on us except those with the power to actually stop the  measures they, themselves, are imposing on us. 

We’ll never agree on this.  I said I’d stop debating this, so I will.  

"those with natural immunity". I'm sorry that I read what is written. How do you plan to test people for "natural immunity"? What system is in place to track this? Are $15/hr ticket scanners going to adjudicate what is real and what is not real evidence of natural immunity?

I'm sorry I read what you write. Words mean things.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1