Highmark Stadium now requiring vaccination for entry

StHustle
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan,

LISTEN UP!

We need a discussion thread for the highly relevant issue of new HIghmark Stadium vaccination requirements - how to handle vaccine card requirements, apps, how to re-sell tickets if desired, refund policy and consequences, stadium entry concerns etc.

Please try to refrain from becoming an internet epidemiologist or virologist, and recall that there are many many other places on the interwebs to have general political or covid-19 discussion. 

Keep it directly related to Highmark Stadium and to Bills Football, Please

That Is All.  Thanks People!

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Now there are two sides to Buffalo Bills fans

They're literally pitting you guys against each other and you're eating it up

You're either on our team or you're against us 

That's been the playbook for divide and conquer forever.. now it's just happening with sports teams 

Who is "They"?

There's no agenda here to split us up by requiring vaccines.  There are lots of agendas for those spreading misinformation about the vaccine (including some I'm sure who are well intentioned and feel they are helping.) But the goal of this policy is to reduce spread of a deadly disease.  To suggest some other agenda is inflammatory and flat out incorrect.

Edited by Captain Caveman
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

That's been the playbook for divide and conquer forever.. now it's just happening with sports teams 

Who is “they?”

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Who is “they?”

The media, fans on Twitter, everybody trying to be divisive

Were Bills fans thats it 

It shouldn't get into nothing political religious, anything 

I love the Buffalo Bills and I love Buffalo Bills fans... I don't care if you're vaxed unvaxed non-binary, a horse 

I love you if you're a Buffalo Bills fan 

Bill's fans are going at it on the internet.. 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Buff, I love ya man.  But here's the thing:

The "divide and conquer" was already there before Sunday, when people who didn't want to take the risk of being in a crowded stadium with unmasked, unvaccinated, untested people quietly sold their tickets and didn't come to the game.  Fact.

It was there last Sunday when people who attended under the "mask-indoors, unvaccinated mask at all times" rule showed up, saw very few masks, and as some have recounted were even harassed and abused for wearing masks - when their compliance is certainly not an imposition on anyone else.  Fact.

So you can't claim that "Now there are two sides", just because some people who don't like the new mandate are being loud and noisy about it.

The two sides have been there and been divided all along. The people who were uncomfortable before just generally aren't the sort who yell about lawsuits and infringement of personal liberty and complain "you can't just lock us up in our houses all the time"

Come to think of it, I've heard some variation of almost those exact words for the last year: "I"m not afraid, if you're afraid you avoid me and stay home"

6 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

And being full vaccinated does not mean you won't catch it and spread it to another person fully vaccinated. I'm fully vaxx'ed and I gave it to my ex on a trip to Oxford (MS) to move our youngest into college. She's also fully vaccinated. Then 2 weeks later, my dad (doctor, fully vaccinated) got it and gave it to my mother (fully vaccinated). 

These vaccines are proving to only possibly help when you catch it.... not really prevent it to get or spread it. 

Yes, this happens especially in high-exposure situations like a family living together.  The attack rate for Delta is something like 60% for co-residents whereas the original strain was 10-30%.

There is still a reduction in spread that has been shown by several careful large studies, NFL, etc.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The "divide and conquer" was already there before Sunday, when people who didn't want to take the risk of being in a crowded stadium with unmasked, unvaccinated, untested people quietly sold their tickets and didn't come to the game.  Fact.

It was there last Sunday when people who attended under the "mask-indoors, unvaccinated mask at all times" rule showed up, saw very few masks, and as some have recounted were even harassed and abused for wearing masks - when their compliance is certainly not an imposition on anyone else.  Fact.

So you can't claim that "Now there are two sides", just because some people who don't like the new mandate are being loud and noisy about it.

The two sides have been there and been divided all along. The people who were uncomfortable before just generally aren't the sort who yell about lawsuits and infringement of personal liberty and complain "you can't just lock us up in our houses all the time"

Come to think of it, I've heard some variation of almost those exact words for the last year: "I"m not afraid, if you're afraid you avoid me and stay home"

Yes, this happens especially in high-exposure situations like a family living together.  The attack rate for Delta is something like 60% for co-residents whereas the original strain was 10-30%.

There is still a reduction in spread that has been shown by several careful large studies, NFL, etc.

I didn’t know of verbal abuse of those wearing masks.  Of course, there were maybe a few dozen of us in the stadium, so that may explain why it was hard to find a target.  It’s interesting that such comments were voiced.  I have the freedom to wear a mask in a sea of people if I so choose.  I suppose that someone in the sea has the freedom to comment about that choice, but … it seems hypocritical for one so concerned with freedom and individual liberty to chastise my use of the same rights. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I can agree to that .. it sucks that the pegulas  didn't enforce their own rules at the stadium

And there's  been two sides for a while now.. but it definitely just got magnified

I live in the city ... Do you know how crazy it was at my local bar last night? People were freaking out... Some Long Time season ticket holders saying they'll never watch the Bills again... Not lying

And then there was a crowd giving it back to them.. fights literally were about to break out

We're all Bills fans 

I think it's silly to let something like a vaccination status tear that down... What if you're somebody with a weak immune system that can't get vaccines? 

Are you to be ridiculed? Everything isn't black and white

Edited by Buffalo716

21 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

What if you're somebody with a weak immune system that can't get vaccines? 

Anyone with an immune system that is too weak to receive the vaccine almost certainly would not be able to safely attend a football game with 70000 people right now before or after the latest policy.    Also everyone I've spoken to with some level of compromised immune system is heavily invested in getting as many people vaccinated as possible through whatever means possible.  Their personal safety is dependent on it.

I saw your response to who is "they" and it's not clear who you are actually blaming here, but it is coming across as blaming those who are in favor of the new policy, and that sucks.  

21 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

... it sucks that the pegulas  didn't enforce their own rules at the stadium

It would have been completely unenforceable.  That game would have ended with fewer than 1000 fans in attendance if they somehow could have kicked out the other 69000 people who wouldn't mask up without a riot.

Edited by Captain Caveman
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Captain Caveman said:

Anyone with an immune system that is too weak to receive the vaccine almost certainly would not be able to safely attend a football game with 70000 people right now before or after the latest policy.  

I saw your response to who is "they" and it's not clear who you are actually blaming here, but it is coming across as blaming those who are in favor of the new policy, and that sucks.  

Terry Pegula can do whatever he wants.. he owns the team 

I just think it's tragic that Bill's fans are fighting Bills fans.. that's what I'm really sad about

I wish everybody would get the vaccine

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Careca said:

From your link:The global research and development of mRNA vaccines have been prodigious over the past decade, and the work in this field has been stimulated by the urgent need for rapid development of vaccines in response to an emergent disease such as the current COVID-19 pandemic. Nevertheless, there remain gaps in our understanding of the mechanism of action of mRNA vaccines, as well as their long-term performance in areas such as safety and efficacy.

Fair point, I can agree with that.

If you're concerned by that, fortunately for you, there's an alternative:

Don't get an mRNA vaccine, get the J&J.  My immediate family is all mRNA-vaccine dosed, but my relatives who live in those low-vaxxed areas all chose J&J.  I personally think the mRNA vaccines are better, but I 100% support their choice: they got vaccinated with the vaccine that made them most comfortable

Adenovirus vaccines were used by the military since the 1970s, and adenovirus vector vaccines date to the 1980s.  EU approved  an adenovirus vector vaccine for Ebola in 2020.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think @Hapless Bills Fan has explained it correctly multiple times 

The CDC, government, whoever you want to call it ... 

Has not done a good job properly explaining the vaccine.. the communication from the top down has been poor and left some people skeptical 

If they explain the science in a more clear concise way, It could help

15 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

A. I had Covid. Have antibodies

B. I stay in pretty decent physical shape.

C. My mother is an RN. Reported no huge rise in ICU cases and I'm in NYC area. Heavily populated.

I trust my natural immune system to handle a potential illness

✌❤

D. Wish you and your loved ones nothing but peace and good health!

Link?

Look for it yourself widely published about it when pfizer and moderna first came out... RNA mechanism was part of an NIH study to find an AIDS vax

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

My mom's hospital, a major hospital in Atlanta, is ok now - but, for a while these past couple months, they could not accept transfers from smaller hospitals due to capacity issues related to covid patients in the ICU.  Largely unvaccinated and largely the people you would think - health wise - would be in the ICU due to covid.  

If this was/is going on in Buffalo, using government levers to cudgel people into getting vaxxed by any means necessary actually makes sense to me.  I don't agree with the methods, but I get the logic.  

When we're told the vaccinated need to be protected from the unvaccinated, and we're told at Highmark Stadium that due to safety concerns only vaccinated are allowed, when we know vaccinated can catch and spread this virus, it simply does not make logical sense.  

Give me a logical reason behind decision making and I can agree, or disagree with you on your overreach, but i'll admit when the logic is sound.  The logic we're being told isn't sound, and therefore it's incredibly frustrating.  

Dude, you've been given logic and explanations, and you aren't accepting them.  Whatever, but let's not pretend you're the sole arbiter on the soundness of logic and reason. 

I get it you're frustrated, and that's understandable.  But a policy doesn't have to be perfect and fit every case to be logically sound over a population.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I mean, you can say that, but WTF man? these aren't numbers the CDC pulled out of their keister.  They're two separate studies of thousands of people, with the data collected and reviewed by all the authors, and then available upon request.  They all signed their work.

Then you have to look at the NFL's preseason numbers and public health UK with two peer-reviewed published studies, and all those are consistent.

So you can believe what you like, but there really ought to be a higher standard of rebuttal than "I don't believe it, those data are ***** up". 

There's a preprint up that has gotten a lot of press and that I have questions and am skeptical about, and my reasons are because they pulled an 18,000 person sample out of 2.5 million people and whenever someone does that to avoid bias, it's legitimate to question whether the sample introduced bias in some other way and to wonder what the raw 2.5 million dataset would look like; I don't just say "I don't believe the other stats, not for a freakin' second". 

i am not quite sure your point, but i will say i also have hesitancy believing all numbers from the CDC as gospel. I am not sure if this still is the case, but as of August it certainly was.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/less-than-0-01-percent-of-vaccinated-americans-developed-severe-covid-breakthrough-case-cdc-says/?taid=61120183e3628400019e2469&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Since May, the CDC has only been monitoring hospitalized or fatal cases rather than all vaccine breakthrough cases. “This shift will help maximize the quality of the data collected on cases of greatest clinical and public health importance,” the organization said.

So one hand if you are vaxed , show symptoms, and test positive,  but are not hospitalized, you are not counted as a positive or a breakthrough.

If you are non vaxed,no symptoms, you still count in the case counts.

Same with the vax trial protocals...two symptoms showing plus a positive test to be termed a positive....no symptoms, no test.

Its these kind of losey goosey use of numbers that have led some to question the CDC and not take every number they produce as gospel, and for good reason i believe.

I will state for the record i think you are dumb as a stump to not take the shot, but also understand  the hesitancy and why people are reluctant.

My final thought, the new Israli tudy, granted preprint,  i think shows pretty definitely natural immunity is stronger than vax. I think a positive antibody test should be accepted as well.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.08.24.21262415v1

• Agree 1