Highmark Stadium now requiring vaccination for entry

StHustle
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan,

LISTEN UP!

We need a discussion thread for the highly relevant issue of new HIghmark Stadium vaccination requirements - how to handle vaccine card requirements, apps, how to re-sell tickets if desired, refund policy and consequences, stadium entry concerns etc.

Please try to refrain from becoming an internet epidemiologist or virologist, and recall that there are many many other places on the interwebs to have general political or covid-19 discussion. 

Keep it directly related to Highmark Stadium and to Bills Football, Please

That Is All.  Thanks People!

7 hours ago, Logic said:

It felt like I could count on just two hands the number of masks I saw all day, from the time I walked in to the stadium to the time I walked out. This was the case despite the very clearly posted -- and oft repeated over the PA system -- stadium rule on masks in common areas.

For those who are angry about the new vax requirement, I have a pretty clear idea who they can thank for it...

True

Polancarz doesn't even really want fans in the stands. He warned on Friday in a press conference he would be watching. No one cared

11 minutes ago, Governor said:

You can actually be sued or face charges if you have hepatitis and get dental work, hide it from a partner, etc. They even make you register with the state, just like a Covid vaccine.

Kind of why I mentioned it

Like they're not asking for proof of vac for other serious stuff.. I get my argument is not realistic

But a lot of other contagious people with serious illnesses could be there and they're not checking their vac status

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Vomit 1

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Couldn't find quickly, but looks pretty large capacity from this photo:

https://www.atptour.com/en/news/us-open-2021-full-capacity

And that’s just the main court in Arthur Ashe stadium. There were matches in at least 3-4 courts outside at the same time (smaller seating capacity of course). And there’s an area in the center of the whole thing that has tons of bars, stores, restaurants, etc. 

I think his point was that the crowd getting in when I went to the Open would have been significantly smaller than a Bills game. I don’t think it was. 

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think it's a rule, so I think the Bills/County do have a say. 

Here's a summary of the US plan from a source I consider trustworthy (click to embiggen):

image.thumb.png.d2874b11b6df82615b3881adcf20815f.png

It just says that large event venues are URGED to require proof of vaccination, it doesn't say they're required to require them (that's ponderous, but you get me I hope)

Someone pointed out that NY just enacted a ruling Sept 6 that Covid is an airborne disease for which businesses are required to provide a transmission prevention plan.  I think it might be a reasonable guess that Erie County/Highmark Stadium quickly came up with a plan involving "mask indoors/unvaccinated mask".

Well, Sept 12 was pretty strong proof that wasn't going to work.  So, Next Plan....

This is a direct copy and paste from whitehouse.gov, I forgot it said "negative test" I just remembered reading it. Appreciate the response. Thank you. 

Calling on Large Entertainment Venues to Require Proof of Vaccination or Testing for Entry

The President’s plan calls on entertainment venues like sports arenas, large concert halls, and other venues where large groups of people gather to require that their patrons be vaccinated or show a negative test for entry.

5 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Right, and there are mountains of data on those vaccines which actually went through the normal approval process. Why is it so crazy for people to simply have some reservations about something that is essentially a new mode of action and was fast tracked? Especially if they are not in the generally accepted at risk groups? 

Its not crazy.    It is a dumb to whine about being treated unfairly just because you won't do something your country has asked you to do for the good of the country.

You can choose not to get vaxed.  It's your right.   But you have to accept the consequences of that decision just as the vaccinated people have to accept the consequences of choosing to get vaccinated.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Right, and there are mountains of data on those vaccines which actually went through the normal approval process. Why is it so crazy for people to simply have some reservations about something that is essentially a new mode of action and was fast tracked? Especially if they are not in the generally accepted at risk groups? 

There has been over a year of data now and billions of vaccines administered.  What specific concerns based on fact still remain that hold any water?   Doubt for the sake of doubt isn't a valid argument.  Its a convenient cover for other views which are not widely embraced for a multitude of reasons.

People still want 50 years of empirical data before taking the Covid vaccine but they'll gobble down the brand new thing to get hard on or treat restless leg syndrome. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

I think it is natural to have reservations, and I think the CDC has done a poor job of communication.  But there are mountains of misinformation and that is a problem.  The "generally accepted risk groups" notion portrays vaccination as a "me only" choice rather than a societal benefit.  And that's all I'll say here - not the place for a general debate.

4 minutes ago, Agent 91 said:

I was gonna say something to this effect but I decided to refrain due to the climate of the chat lol

You wouldn't have been the 3rd or the 4th to make that quip here

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Like they're not testing for other serious stuff.. I get my argument is not realistic

But a lot of other contagious people with serious illnesses could be there and they're not checking them

Because after a century of mandatory vaccination we no longer need to fear outbreaks of measles and hepatitis.   Every school child or foreign national attending American university gets those vaccines.  Its why we enjoy the highest vaccination rate in the world.  In other words, we're pretty sure everyone walking in the door is not contagious with hepatitis.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

9 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Like they're not testing for other serious stuff.. I get my argument is not realistic

But a lot of other contagious people with serious illnesses could be there and they're not checking them

Well, you can’t catch those other things like Covid. I think hepatitis is blood to blood, and HIV…….

But those people are actually registered by the state as having those diseases. You get put on a list like a sex offender. It happened to an old classmate of mine.

Edited by Governor

1 minute ago, Governor said:

Well, you can’t catch those other things like Covid. I think hepatitis is blood to blood, and HIV…….

But those people are actually registered by the state as having those diseases. You get out on a list like a sex offender. It happened to an old classmate of mine.

You could definitely catch hepatitis other ways 

A restaurant in cheektowaga was shut down because a kitchen worker gave customers hepatitis 

I was just making a point how they're not checking other vaccination statuses of deadly stuff

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Vomit 1

5 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

This is a direct copy and paste from whitehouse.gov, I forgot it said "negative test" I just remembered reading it. Appreciate the response. Thank you. 

Calling on Large Entertainment Venues to Require Proof of Vaccination or Testing for Entry

The President’s plan calls on entertainment venues like sports arenas, large concert halls, and other venues where large groups of people gather to require that their patrons be vaccinated or show a negative test for entry.

OK, so the US plan calls for an option Erie County decided not to take. Would love to be a fly on the wall and understand what discussions were behind that.  I"m not going to assume not public health based.   But it's interesting.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think it is natural to have reservations, and I think the CDC has done a poor job of communication.  But there are mountains of misinformation and that is a problem.  The "generally accepted risk groups" notion portrays vaccination as a "me only" choice rather than a societal benefit.  And that's all I'll say here - not the place for a general debate.

You wouldn't have been the 3rd or the 4th to make that quip here

Thats exactly my issue. The communication worries me. I just want to know about boosters and things like that. But like i said the main concern is my son. I go to the gym and go to... for now... UB games. Mask up and all that. Also working at the airport the whole 2 and under dont need a mask. I would never.  Its all just crazy to me.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Because after a century of mandatory vaccination we no longer need to fear outbreaks of measles and hepatitis.   Every school child or foreign national attending American university gets those vaccines.  Its why we enjoy the highest vaccination rate in the world.  In other words, we're pretty sure everyone walking in the door is not contagious with hepatitis.

Very true 

But 44 out of 50 states allow exemptions for these vaccines 

So if you live in a red State like Texas or Louisiana.. statistically there's absolutely people who have not gotten the measles or polio vaccine

Because there's a lot of nutters who use those exemptions

• Vomit 1

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, so the US plan calls for an option Erie County decided not to take. Would love to be a fly on the wall and understand what discussions were behind that.  I"m not going to assume not public health based.   But it's interesting.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's just a matter of trying to land on a policy they can implement in such a short time frame.  The more moving parts (trying to figure out which tests, how to get them validated, how soon before the game) the more complicated it is.  It's much simpler to just offer the vaccination option, and if that convinces a few hundred or thousand people to get vaccinated then it's a public health bonus.

• Agree 3

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

You could definitely catch hepatitis other ways 

A restaurant in cheektowaga was shut down because a kitchen worker gave customers hepatitis

You're both right.

There are 5 different Hepatitis viruses A, B, C, D, and E. 

Hepatitis A and E are passed through contamination, usually fecal, of food or water.  "A" is probably what your Cheektowaga worker had.

Hepatitis B and C are passed through blood or body fluids.  "D" coinfects along with B.

There's a very effective vaccine to prevent Hepatitis A, and in a number of counties in MO, all food service workers are required to be immunized for Hep A in order to be employed in that field.  I'm actually kind of surprised Erie County doesn't require it.

There's a very effective vaccine to prevent Hepatitis B also, and most hospitals and employers require employees who work with blood or OPIM (other infectious materials) to be vaccinated.  This is "risk management" because Hep B becomes a chronic infection leading to liver failure or liver cancer in about 6% of infected adults, which would kick insurance claims through the roof.  Now there's a safe recombinant vaccine and it's routinely given to infants (90% of infected infants develop chronic infection).  But when the first vaccine came out, it was a gut-check because the virus was isolated from the plasma of Hep B infected humans then purified and inactivated.  Those Hep B infected humans were often co-infected with HIV.  We had to really be persuaded to trust the science and trust the process.  Some people quit.  I took 5 injections to seroconvert.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1