Highmark Stadium now requiring vaccination for entry

StHustle
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan,

LISTEN UP!

We need a discussion thread for the highly relevant issue of new HIghmark Stadium vaccination requirements - how to handle vaccine card requirements, apps, how to re-sell tickets if desired, refund policy and consequences, stadium entry concerns etc.

Please try to refrain from becoming an internet epidemiologist or virologist, and recall that there are many many other places on the interwebs to have general political or covid-19 discussion. 

Keep it directly related to Highmark Stadium and to Bills Football, Please

That Is All.  Thanks People!

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Serious question, had they not changed the rules to address the unmasked, would it have impacted your decision to attend future games?    For what it’s worth, I’m not angry about the vax requirement, but feel EC could have made this call earlier.  I’m also concerned about the time it will take to get into the stadium when we attend later this year.  

If I understand your question correctly...the answer is yes. I stated earlier in this thread that I did not plan to go to any future games unless and until vaccination was required.

I agree that EC could and probably should have made this call earlier. I think they wanted to give the fans enough rope to hang themselves with, and hang themselves they did. 

I also think that it's reasonable to be concerned about the amount of time it will take to get into the stadium. I find it more likely, however, that stadium staff will do little more than take a quick, cursory glance at the vaccine proofs, in the same way that the pat-down procedures at big events are often laughable. For what it's worth -- and granted, the vaccine requirement was not yet in effect in week 1 -- I got to the gate at 11:30 (I would normally get there at 12:15 or so), and I was able to waltz right in without hassle or delay. To anyone worried about entry delay, I suggest going in at 11:30. Worst case scenario, you get into the stadium "too early" and have to grab a beer, watch pre-game warmups, and scroll social media for longer than you'd like.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

A passport is a good bit sturdier than a vaccine card.

It's much easier to accidentally rip, stain, or otherwise destroy a vaccine card than it is a passport.

Again, I'm not saying that it's an insurmountable task to bring a vaccine card. I support the new rule. I'm just saying that it's a bit more of an inconvenience for non NYS residents. That's all. I wouldn't think much of it if vaccine cards were wallet-sized, laminated, sturdy. The fact that they're an awkward size and don't really fit in a wallet just make them a bit odd to carry into something like a football game.

I've missed a bunch in this thread but just read the rules. Why can't you just have a picture of it on your phone as proof?

Unless they skipped that detail in the news column. 

6 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Has anyone figured out how the out of state electronic registration thing works?  The family is coming back up for the Texans game. 

No but I'm about to dig into it because coming from out of state and want to have my card with me virtually in an acceptable form

Will update if I figure it out

I may just pay for CLEAR - I don't live in a state that has its own digital registry

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

I've missed a bunch in this thread but just read the rules. Why can't you just have a picture of it on your phone as proof?

Unless they skipped that detail in the news column. 

Here's the official policy, with everything you need to know:

https://www.buffalobills.com/stadium/health-and-safety

Vaccine Verification:

Show one of the following at entry:

• PHOTOS OF VACCINE CARDS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED

• Physical Vaccination Card

• New York State Excelsior Pass

• CLEAR Digital Vaccine Card

• Government digital vaccine proof from outside NYS

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Vaccine Verification:

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm guessing because a photograph of a vaccine card is pretty easy to photoshop, but I really don't know

Yea I read the cliff notes rules and then found the official ones after I replied. 

I still have mine so at least I got that going for me. 

It's been sitting on the top of my fridge and it's still beaten up. 

1 hour ago, snafu said:

You missed the point. There are people walking around every day who aren’t vaccinated against any number of diseases. Nobody prohibits them from going anywhere. 

Frankly, I’m vaccinated and I don’t necessarily disagree with the policy. 

No, you inadvertently made the a point completely opposite to what you thought you were conveying. 

Measles vaccination, per your example, has been required to attend public and private schooling for generations to a point where a measles outbreak WAS no longer a real concern in the United States.  It WAS pretty safe to assume that pretty much anyone passing you by was vaccinated against measles since it has been the cost of doing business in this country.  

I cannot stress the term WAS enough.  Any thoughts on why that WAS the case?

• Like (+1) 8

4 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

good point, not only could you lose it at the game, but you could forget to bring it.  Not sure why a picture does not suffice.   Most places that require vaccines accept photos of the card.  

I don't see this as any more burdensome then having to remember to have my license with me when I drive a car and it makes sense to me that if pulled over by the police, it wouldn't be enough for me to show them a picture of my license on my cell phone.  Helpful tip: use a binder clip to clip your ticket and your vacc. card together.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, BuffaloBud said:

As much as I would like to see a game in person, I'll be just as happy watching from home.

That's why I really don't have a problem with it.  You still have a choice.

Also, it will be refreshing just to get carded again.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

I don’t think you know what a strawman is… you keep using it in multiple replies to things that aren’t strawman arguments.  

I did present you a hypothetical.  A hypothetical based on Highmark Stadium covid protocols.  

You can literally sit next to an unmasked, vaccinated fan with covid under these guidelines.  

Luckily, you’re safe from people like me who have natural immunity from a recent covid infection recovery and would be willing to present a negative rapid covid test at the gates.  

I agree that it's an unusual use of the term "strawman"

I think the point that may be trying to be made is we don't have 70,000 individual cases.  The people making decisions have to play the probabilities, tempered by practical considerations of logistics.  And the evidence favors that the overall odds are lower to sit next to an infected person if said person has been vaccinated.   Despite what is endlessly reiterated on certain media outlets, that's what the data support.

Would it be better to just test everyone with a high-sensitivity test 24-48 hrs before the game? Almost certainly!  But it's a moot point - the logistics of that worked out for 7,000 people but would be awful for 70,000 people.

Is it likely that you have substantial immunity and are less likely to be re-infected as a person recently recovered?  Yes.  Sp the policy leaves you out.  Policies designed for ~100k people  will inevitably be unfair to some, like our Canadian friend who posted upthread about his situation. 

It's unfortunate, but I find it curious that you jump from something that may be personally unfair to you to saying that the policy "isn't about health" at all.  You seem very certain of that, yet I'm pretty sure the people who made the policy had the advice of public health experts and epidemiologists.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Secondary Market.

Expect to see a huge influx of visiting teams' fans this season. Yay!!! 

♥️🤍💙🤍♥️

14 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Just get the vaccine.  Problem solved 

I can't.

But I do have a pretty dope 8k.

Cheer loud in our absence.

• Eyeroll 1

32 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No but I'm about to dig into it because coming from out of state and want to have my card with me virtually in an acceptable form

Will update if I figure it out

I may just pay for CLEAR - I don't live in a state that has its own digital registry

I have a picture of my vaccination card on my phone.  Are you saying that’s acceptable?

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree that it's an unusual use of the term "strawman"

I think the point that may be trying to be made is we don't have 70,000 indiividual cases.  The people making decisions have to play the probabilities, tempered by practical considerations of logistics.  And the evidence favors that the overall odds are lower to sit next to an infected person if said person has been vaccinated. 

Would it be better to just test everyone with a high-sensitivity test 24-48 hrs before the game? Almost certainly!  But it's a moot point - the logistics of that worked out for 7,000 people but would be awful for 70,000 people.

Is it likely that you have substantial immunity and are less likely to be re-infected as a person recently recovered, Yes.  The policy leaves you out.  Policies designed for ~100k people  will inevitably be unfair to some, like our Canadian friend who posted upthread about his situation. 

It's unfortunate, but I find it curious that you jump from something personally unfair to you to saying that the policy "isn't about health" at all.  You seem very certain of that, yet I'm pretty sure the people who made the policy had the advice of public health experts and epidemiologists.

And other public health experts in other states don’t believe this is an issue at all.  

I don’t believe it’s about safety when a large portion of Bills fans… those with natural immunity are being excluded, especially when you could do what, say, Syracuse is doing and require a negative test within 72 hours OR vaccination. 

Let the vaccinated in to wild out and force negative tests on unvaccinated at their own dime.  You know who’s the safest to sit next to in this scenario (one that’s common across other stadiums/arenas) the unvaxxed negative covid test, as there’s no telling whether that vaxxed person has covid or not.  

That’s why, to me, it’s obvious this isn’t about in-stadium safety.  It’s about using a government mechanism to force people in a punitive fashion.  

I honestly don’t believe there’s any other way to take this when they don’t offer a negative test option.  Especially given NY’s political leanings and what Biden urged local politicians to do in his speech. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I have a picture of my vaccination card on my phone.  Are you saying that’s acceptable?

I took my card and copied it on nice laser copier.  Two sided copy.  Then laminated so it folds in middle.  When you fold in 1/2, it will be the size of a standard CreditCard. 

Since it's on a nice copier... Can't tell it's not the original.   I keep the original in a secure location.

27 minutes ago, Logic said:

Vaccine Verification:

Has anyone done the CLEAR thing?  How does it actually work, just looked at their web page - upload gov ID,  a selfie and picture of your vax card - is it confirming your identity then cross referencing that the info on your vax card is valid and for you?  I don't usually love to upload my gov ID to the interweb...