Interesting Josh Allen Stat

Elite Poster

I remember we had a stat with Tyrod where we would essentially never win if down by 4+ points, looking over my NFL game pass today, an interesting stat that was pointed out is the Bills are 2-11 with Josh when down by 10+ pts. 

That is actually shocking, I felt like we have several come from behind wins with him, but I guess they are only 1 score games. Hopefully this is a result of sample size but it's not an encouraging trend for sure. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

Most games are decided by one score, so you would expect a bad record when down by multiple scores.

But I do thing that is the next level of experience and progression that this team needs to obtain: how to overcome big deficits and come back. Mahomes and the Chiefs have that experience. Brady has that experience. It's a tough thing to do, but if Allen can figure it out he will be truly elite.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I'm pretty sure a lot of teams have bad records when they get behind by 10+ points.

Baltimore had its first loss ever under JH when winning by 14 points or more..... Conversely they never come from behind when down by 14

Edited by r00tabaga

The same stat was also brought up on WGR this morning.   They essentially showed that Mahomes is the much better QB when down by 10+ points, not surprising because I think Mahomes is a better quarterback in a better offense.    Outside of 2020, Josh has been in a less talented offense, and he is also not able to hit the quick strike long ball consistently. 

It's only Tuesday, and we are starting to get into paralysis by analysis.   The reason teams like the Chiefs come back from 10+ points consistently is in part due to Quarterbacking.   It also has to do with the talent around the Quarterback.  

13 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

I remember we had a stat with Tyrod where we would essentially never win if down by 4+ points, looking over my NFL game pass today, an interesting stat that was pointed out is the Bills are 2-11 with Josh when down by 10+ pts. 

That is actually shocking, I felt like we have several come from behind wins with him, but I guess they are only 1 score games. Hopefully this is a result of sample size but it's not an encouraging trend for sure. 

Tell you how hard it is to win being down by 10 or more points, Brady holds the record with 37 comebacks  from said score.  (Including playoffs)

• Vomit 1

10 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

The same stat was also brought up on WGR this morning.   They essentially showed that Mahomes is the much better QB when down by 10+ points, not surprising because I think Mahomes is a better quarterback in a better offense.    Outside of 2020, Josh has been in a less talented offense, and he is also not able to hit the quick strike long ball consistently. 

It's only Tuesday, and we are starting to get into paralysis by analysis.   The reason teams like the Chiefs come back from 10+ points consistently is in part due to Quarterbacking.   It also has to do with the talent around the Quarterback.  

The reason the Chiefs come back from 10+ points is because they fall behind in a lot of games by not taking things seriously early on.  Then when they get punched in the face they turn to Mahomes to bail them out.  

33 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I'm pretty sure a lot of teams have bad records when they get behind by 10+ points.

Mahomes is 10-2 lifetime in these such games including the SB win a few years ago against the 49ers. He also was trailing by 10+ in the other two playoff games that year against the Titans and Texans (including 28-0 in that one).

Not sure about Brady's lifetime record but going to go on a limb and say it's ridiculously good.

But in regards to Allen, if you pay a guy $250M he needs to be much better than 2-11 in those circumstances and anybody that believes otherwise is kidding themselves. Allen has prove he's truly a special player and elite franchise QB especially at home.

Edited by FilthyBeast
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Mahomes has been doing this since he started in year 2… dude is another level QB.

I think Mahomes is still ahead in terms of that ability to just put a bad play out of his mind and play the next play. Josh got in his own head a bit Sunday every time the camera cut to him his body language screamed frustration. You just have to be able to acknowledge that has gone, next play, and he still has some room to grow there. 

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

Were there any parameters on the "down by 10+ points" eg at any point in the game?

I had a quick look at last season.  In the regular season, we were down by 10 points at any point in the game in 3 games - Tenn, Chiefs, and Jets.

2 L, 1 W

There might be a point that Josh needs experience in the NFL of coming from behind in a 2 score game.  Obviously one needs to press a bit in those circs but there's an art to not pressing too hard/avoiding mistakes.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, MJS said:

Most games are decided by one score, so you would expect a bad record when down by multiple scores.

But I do thing that is the next level of experience and progression that this team needs to obtain: how to overcome big deficits and come back. Mahomes and the Chiefs have that experience. Brady has that experience. It's a tough thing to do, but if Allen can figure it out he will be truly elite.

I agree. That's the one part of his encouraging accent that he hasn't mastered yet. I want to think we have a chance down 14 in the 3rd quarter. Right now this offense has not looked good dating back to the Colts game. Have defenses figured out Josh & Daboll's tendencies? 

Whats the split from 2018 to 2019 to 2020?  I count 0-5 in 2018, if you include ravens.  0-4 if you don't.

2-6 in 2019-2020

Patriots - Blocked punt was the difference.  Allen didn't finish this game.

Ravens.  Super windy, couple of missed plays on defense were the difference.  

Eagles.  Blowout, defense couldn't stop the run. Also windy as hell.

Jets - He barely played but you either count this one or the ravens one in 2018.  It's listed in his 2019 record so i assume it does?

Titans and chiefs x2.  I don't need to explain them i don't think.  A lot was on the defense in all 3 as much as Allen.

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Were there any parameters on the "down by 10+ points" eg at any point in the game?

I had a quick look at last season.  In the regular season, we were down by 10 points at any point in the game in 3 games - Tenn, Chiefs, and Jets.

2 L, 1 W

There might be a point that Josh needs experience in the NFL of coming from behind in a 2 score game.  Obviously one needs to press a bit in those circs but there's an art to not pressing too hard/avoiding mistakes.

I think it's at any point of the game. Funnily enough the other win in that 2-11 stat comes from the Jets as well. It was opening game in 2019, Bills were down 16-3 and came back and won 17-16. 

2 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

When McDermott loses, he often gets crushed. 

Definitely accurate, when this team loses they are typically bad across the board which was true in 3 of the 4 losses we took last year (Titans and Chiefs x2).

That's why looking back to the other day, it really does raise some alarms knowing we were essentially terrible for four quarters in a home game and allowed 23 unanswered points in the 2nd half.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Elite Poster said:

8 Fourth Quarter Comebacks, 11 Game-Winning Drives

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/comeback.cgi?player=AlleJo02

For Reference - Mahomes

7 Fourth Quarter Comebacks, 8 Game-Winning Drives

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/comeback.cgi?player=MahoPa00

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

But in regards to Allen, if you pay a guy $250M he needs to be much better than 2-11 in those circumstances and anybody that believes otherwise is kidding themselves. Allen has prove he's truly a special player and elite franchise QB especially at home.

As if 2018 Josh and 2021 are the same skillwise...

Yes I agree he needs to prove himself going forward. But then... nope. He was tense as hel l Sunday from the very first step. He motioned for the fans to quiet down right away, all stressed up, and did so after a gigantic special teams play to open the first fully packed homegame in over a year? He should have come out all smiles and THEN eventually tell the crowd to quite down. It was weird to see.

He plays best when he's a big kid having fun with his pals. That's what he needs to get back to. Results will happen by themselves if he's at peak mental state. I hope Diggs and some other key players can have him chill out and get back to having fun out there.

Edited by Jerome007