Today's Race In California Recall

Tiberius

I think there is no way they recall Newsome, but all the folks I know in California expect that once he wins, he will reinstate mask mandates and perhaps start pushing vax mandates.  He is just holding back to get past this, then will go back to his authoritarian norm.  

We shall see.

1. The California recall process is absurd.

2. Newsome has done nothing unexpected or grossly improper to warrant being recalled.

3. If there were someone sensible running against him with a chance of winning, I would nevertheless vote to recall him. The party in power in a single-party state gets arrogant and unresponsive to the voters. California needs a counterweight.

4. California needs a counterweight; it does not need a joke Governor like Elder or Jenner.

14 minutes ago, Demongyz said:

I think there is no way they recall Newsome, but all the folks I know in California expect that once he wins, he will reinstate mask mandates and perhaps start pushing vax mandates.  He is just holding back to get past this, then will go back to his authoritarian norm.  

that’s what the people of California want

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

1. The California recall process is absurd.

2. Newsome has done nothing unexpected or grossly improper to warrant being recalled.

3. If there were someone sensible running against him with a chance of winning, I would nevertheless vote to recall him. The party in power in a single-party state gets arrogant and unresponsive to the voters. California needs a counterweight.

4. California needs a counterweight; it does not need a joke Governor like Elder or Jenner.

We’re seeing an intro to what happens when the GOP runs “Trumpy” candidates.

Most of them will lose and might save the House for Dems.

2 minutes ago, Demongyz said:

It depends on where you live, but yes, they want security over freedom...

Prepare for neither.

Florida showed the country how NOT to handle a pandemic so states will just do the opposite across the board, which will make the winter surge easier to deal with.

22 minutes ago, Governor said:

We’re seeing an intro to what happens when the GOP runs “Trumpy” candidates.

Most of them will lose and might save the House for Dems.

I lived in Minnesota for part of the Jesse The Body Ventura governorship. What I learned:

- joke/protest candidates thankfully can't do a helluva lot of harm at the state level. Arnie was even modestly successful. Jesse left Minnesota more or less the same as he found it. Or even as Senators or Representatives in Congress.

- people tire of them pretty quickly. Arnold objectively was perfectly o.k., but you don't see anyone pining for some kind of Return to Shwarzeneggerism.

And of course later on I learned that joke/protest candidates CAN do a helluva lot of harm in the White House. Thank you, Lord, for saving us from the Ross Perot administration, or the Herman Cain administration. But wait a minute, why did you forsake us in 2016?

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Dislike 2

5 minutes ago, Governor said:

Florida showed the country how NOT to handle a pandemic so states will just do the opposite across the board, which will make the winter surge easier to deal with.

When everyone in Florida gets it and have actual immunity instead of the crappy immunity from the vax, we will see who was right.

New York showed us what not to do.... Unless you want to kill all the elderly.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Demongyz said:

When everyone in Florida gets it and have actual immunity instead of the crappy immunity from the vax, we will see who was right.

New York showed us what not to do.... Unless you want to kill all the elderly.

That plan might’ve worked if there weren’t new variants and you could only get it once. Lol. That plan obviously failed.

That plan obviously could never work in a tourist/transient state like Florida. The place to try something like that would be Ohio.

8 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I lived in Minnesota for part of the Jesse The Body Ventura governorship. What I learned:

- joke/protest candidates thankfully can't do a helluva lot of harm at the state level. Or even as Senators or Representatives in Congress.

- people tire of them pretty quickly

And of course later on I learned that joke/protest candidates CAN do a helluva lot of harm in the White House. Thank you, Lord, for saving us from the Ross Perot administration, or the Herman Cain administration. But wait a minute, why did you forsake us in 2016?

Yeah. I mostly agree. They aren’t there to govern in the first place so they’re incapable of actually doing much harm. If you take a step back, even Trump was a totally impotent president legislatively speaking.

1 minute ago, Governor said:

That plan might’ve worked if there weren’t new variants and you could only get it once. Lol. That plan obviously failed.

That plan obviously could never work in a tourist/transient state like Florida. The place to try something like that would be Ohio.

Poor Ohio, nobody wants to go there. :(

I get what you are saying, but I think the breakthrough cases for people who have had it are far fewer than those with the vaccination.  I'm 100% certain everyone is going to get it anyway.  It's just going to happen.  I'm fully vaxed so I'm not going to go about life in fear of what is inevitable.  I certainly don't want the government to tell me what to do because they are always crap at everything.

If we are all going to get it, why not let it ride?  People are crying about the unvaccinated, well, you can get it if you've had the shot, you can pass it if you've had the shot, and we know damn well the cloth masks are theater.  I don't think we should all use n95's all the time, so what are we doing here? 

If we are protecting the children, we know now that Covid-19 doesn't hit them nearly as hard as it hits adults, so the best thing for them would be much like chicken pox.  Have them get it young, fight it off, then they won't be in as bad of shape when it comes back around.

I just can't listen to the government telling me I'll die without the vax, and vaxed people will die from being around the unvaxed...  Mixed messaging breeds distrust and that is where we are.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Demongyz said:

Poor Ohio, nobody wants to go there. :(

I get what you are saying, but I think the breakthrough cases for people who have had it are far fewer than those with the vaccination.  I'm 100% certain everyone is going to get it anyway.  It's just going to happen.  I'm fully vaxed so I'm not going to go about life in fear of what is inevitable.  I certainly don't want the government to tell me what to do because they are always crap at everything.

If we are all going to get it, why not let it ride?  People are crying about the unvaccinated, well, you can get it if you've had the shot, you can pass it if you've had the shot, and we know damn well the cloth masks are theater.  I don't think we should all use n95's all the time, so what are we doing here? 

If we are protecting the children, we know now that Covid-19 doesn't hit them nearly as hard as it hits adults, so the best thing for them would be much like chicken pox.  Have them get it young, fight it off, then they won't be in as bad of shape when it comes back around.

I just can't listen to the government telling me I'll die without the vax, and vaxed people will die from being around the unvaxed...  Mixed messaging breeds distrust and that is where we are.  

Everyone is eventually going to get it but the goal should be to get through these strong variants with as little death as possible, then when it weakens and becomes endemic, “let it ride” just like you said and just get a seasonal Covid flu shot.

10 minutes ago, Governor said:

Everyone is eventually going to get it but the goal should be to get through these strong variants with as little death as possible, then when it weakens and becomes endemic, “let it ride” just like you said and just get a seasonal Covid flu shot.

So we agree for the most part, I just don't think we are really mitigating the spread with government action and believe the government is causing a net negative with their mandates and you believe they help.

Interesting how close we are on this.

3 minutes ago, Demongyz said:

So we agree for the most part, I just don't think we are really mitigating the spread with government action and believe the government is causing a net negative with their mandates and you believe they help.

Interesting how close we are on this.

Off-topic: is your user handle pronounced "demon jizz?"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

If California allows Newsom to retain his office after all his Covid shennanies, I can't feel sorry for them when he rolls out more of the same. You had your shot. All a victory for him does is say yes, please give us more.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, dpberr said:

If California allows Newsom to retain his office after all his Covid shennanies, I can't feel sorry for them when he rolls out more of the same. You had your shot. All a victory for him does is say yes, please give us more.