Daboll on what went right/wrong

foreboding

Ya know, I've been thinking about that 4th down play based on a 2004 play. It looked great in the original, but then I thought 2004...but that's a Mularkey year.  He used to LOVE those weird trick plays and while that one worked great against Seattle, most would have the results we saw Sunday: blow up in his face.  I have a memory of a similar situation with a critical short yardage down about mid field.  I think there was a pitch or handoff...and a little jump and then a lateral to the receiver on the sidelines....who was tackled for a loss. It was infuriating.  He was a Sam Wyche disciple and I always remember Bill Walsh saying Wyche's problem was that sometimes he would rather trick you than beat you.  In other words, you could have a 4th and 1 with a big physical quarterback who can almost certainly pick up the 1st keeping a drive alive but instead pitch the ball backward 7 yards.  We do NOT need Daboll channeling his inner Mularkey.  That would be bad.

My only criticism of Josh, not from this game itself but over all since he has been here.... I have heard him say, other people say, coaches say... I need to take what's given to me and not try to hit the home run every play.  Its like he an everyone know it but he still does it... for years now.

• Like (+1) 1