Daboll on what went right/wrong

foreboding

17 minutes ago, Figster said:

Teams figure you out in this league. 

Did you watch the last two games?

There is no reason why Knox and Singletary should not be a bigger part of the game plan. None.

This is literally the Patriots offense that they ran for 20 years, won 6 Super Bowls, and built a dynasty with.

I dont think the overall scheme of "pass first, use short passes as your running game" is the issue, as much as it was the specific game plan and play calling out of that offense in a single week. The frustrating part is there are huge parts of that scheme which arent 5-wide and which utilize RBs and TEs. He just refused to use it on Sunday, which is a problem. 3 years into this scheme, it should have been fairly easy to adjust to something everyone is familiar with. He simply refused to.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’m not going to overreact and say stupid things like we need to run more or get the ball to Knox more. 

The reality is Pitt isn’t the best matchup for us, even in the games we’ve won against them.

We need to stay the course and keep doing the things that led to us winning 13 games and having one of the best offenses in the league. Simple as that.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This is literally the Patriots offense that they ran for 20 years, won 6 Super Bowls, and built a dynasty with.

I dont think the overall scheme of "pass first, use short passes as your running game" is the issue, as much as it was the specific game plan and play calling out of that offense in a single week. The frustrating part is there are huge parts of that scheme which arent 5-wide and which utilize RBs and TEs. He just refused to use it on Sunday, which is a problem. 3 years into this scheme, it should have been fairly easy to adjust to something everyone is familiar with. He simply refused to.

Myself personally, QB has bad games like a pitcher in baseball. When you have other parts of the O still clicking like a good run game it helps your signal caller out IMO. Weather conditions can also play a factor in the decision to run the ball more. Olines need a break from the defensive posture IMO and enjoy going on the offensive running the football. To me being able to run the football well is a no brainer here in Buffalo. We have the weapons in Singletary, Moss and Brieda...

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I don't think it is as close to the Patriots as you do.

Patriots got the ball out quickly with rhythm often times to screens, slants and tight ends in the flats.   

Brady wasn't looking for a home run on every play.    He was moving chains with short and intermediate passes.   The Bills focus on intermediate and home runs.

It wasn't normal for the Patriots to hold the ball in the pocket.   It was normal to get rid of it immediately and focus on run after catch.   The Bills offense reminds me more of the Warner led St. Louis team - except without Marshall Faulk.

52 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Our strength is our QB and our WR’s. Did you watch last season?

Yes, and I also watched Sunday where Singletary looks like a much improved RB and Dawson Knox made plays when we went his way. 

I'm not saying become a run heavy offense or prioritize Knox, but if teams are selling out on Front 4 pressure (and getting pressure) and dropping 7 into coverage, we have a RB & TE who look like they may have made the strides the coaching staff asked of them... let's find out. 

Most of us love the pass heavy offense - we just want a secondary pitch when the fastball isn't working. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

I don't think it is as close to the Patriots as you do.

Patriots got the ball out quickly with rhythm often times to screens, slants and tight ends in the flats.   

Brady wasn't looking for a home run on every play.    He was moving chains with short and intermediate passes.   The Bills focus on intermediate and home runs.

It wasn't normal for the Patriots to hold the ball in the pocket.   It was normal to get rid of it immediately and focus on run after catch.   The Bills offense reminds me more of the Warner led St. Louis team - except without Marshall Faulk.

Nice example. Or the Houston Oiler run and shoot of the early 90's

Maybe we have Marshall Faulk and don't use him?

The Bills adapted a run off of the greatest show on turf and the slippery, slimmy beast of an O twisted Trent up like a pretzel...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Yes, and I also watched Sunday where Singletary looks like a much improved RB and Dawson Knox made plays when we went his way. 

I'm not saying become a run heavy offense or prioritize Knox, but if teams are selling out on Front 4 pressure and dropping 7 into coverage, we have a RB & TE who look like they may have made the strides the coaching staff asked of them... let's find out. 

Or, hey, i have a nutty idea, what if we used those guys to help augment our low effort OL?  Obviously we can't block 4 with 5, maybe we can block 4 with 7?

6 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Or, hey, i have a nutty idea, what if we used those guys to help augment our low effort OL?  Obviously we can't block 4 with 5, maybe we can block 4 with 7?

Will be interesting to see if Moss is active for the Dolphins.  He's one of the best pass blocking backs in the NFL.  Think we definitely outsmarted ourselves or were way too cocky going into the Steelers game. 

23 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I’m not going to overreact and say stupid things like we need to run more or get the ball to Knox more. 

The reality is Pitt isn’t the best matchup for us, even in the games we’ve won against them.

We need to stay the course and keep doing the things that led to us winning 13 games and having one of the best offenses in the league. Simple as that.

When people say get the ball to Knox more or have a better run game. Its not to say don't keep doing what we do best. Spreading the ball around helps open up all positions IMO.

Do you think the answer might be somewhere in the middle?

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, uninja said:

Truth, we needed otherwordly Josh against the Colts and the game against Bmore was weird because of the weather. Against KC we got totally exposed. The gameplan against Josh and our offense isn't complicated. Play contain with front 4, flood the zones and let your defensive backs make a play or rush 4 and hope your backend holds up while one of your rushers gets home for a sack/hurry/pressure. If you can do either of those two things you can throw our offense out of rhythm.

We saw it plain as day in KC and it was evident against Pittsburgh as well. 

All contenders need their QB to play great to win against other playoff teams.

We go as far as Josh goes. Just like KC goes as far as Mahomes goes. Just like Tampa was trash until they got Brady.

Did you see how Green Bay fared when Rodgers struggled?

Edited by FireChans

59 minutes ago, Figster said:

Teams figure you out in this league. 

Did you watch the last two games?

There is no reason why Knox and Singletary should not be a bigger part of the game plan. None.

At least force teams to put more focus on them then currently. 

• Like (+1) 1

On a related note. We went in the offseason with many pundits saying our biggest needs were RB and TE, along with pass rush. We ignored TE and RB essentially as I dont count Hollister and Breida as addressing it. But the Bills basically said we know better and are willing to let it ride with these guys. 

• Like (+1) 1

Game plan wasn't great but if the game plan is to throw it 50 plus times then 20ish of those throws need to be pretty much runs. Meaning screens/dump offs/quick pass 1 or 2 yards off the line of scrimmage. You also need a QB who doesn't care who he throws to and not force it to certain guys. Again thats if the game plan is to throw 50 plus times

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

Bills dont run enough, thats a fact. But when they do run it looks like the oline is pass blocking sometimes. 

Absolutely, thats because like the passing game, it takes actual game reps for the Oline and RB to get a feel for where the weaknesses are and exploit them IMO. 

3 minutes ago, Figster said:

Absolutely, thats because like the passing game, it takes actual game reps for the Oline and RB to get a feel for where the weaknesses are and exploit them IMO. 

I agree and felt like we were watching a pre-season Bills offense. The penalties and lack of rhythm. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Game plan wasn't great but if the game plan is to throw it 50 plus times then 20ish of those throws need to be pretty much runs. Meaning screens/dump offs/quick pass 1 or 2 yards off the line of scrimmage. You also need a QB who doesn't care who he throws to and not force it to certain guys. Again thats if the game plan is to throw 50 plus times

Agreed!! They never set up the big play, they just went for it. Low probability and if you miss you are behind the sticks. 

• Like (+1) 2