ESPN's MNF broadcast is unwatchable

Dan Darragh

I realize I'm super jaded as I'm just so happy to have football back, and my favorite memories of growing up are tied into watching games, that I don't think I dislike any commentator 🤷‍♂️

After a covid off season I'd watch Cinci/Jax with Fran Drescher and Gilbert Gottfried as commentary and be pretty content lol

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

I actually enjoy Riddick. And I enjoy his insight to some stuff. 
The problem i have with most broadcasts is the constant hype machine and repetitiveness. They gave Lamar so much love the whole first half, but didn’t dare give him some shade for blowing the game. Gruden made a couple stupid coaching decisions, no criticism whatsoever. Collinsworth is the worst to me, he likes 4-5 players a game and only talks about them and nothing else. His play by play is fine with me but his bias always peaks through 

This is why I enjoyed, way back when Sunday Night Football was on ESPN, and you had Joe Theismanm as the color announcer.

I'm in the minority, but I thought Theismann was great on the broadcasts. He would give players and coaches props, but he would also call them out for bad decisions as well.

Even better, he would call out the officials for making bad calls. Play-By-Play announcer Mike Patrick would also do the same thing, which I thought made them a great announcing crew.

Patrick & Theismann were not afraid to call out anyone, and I enjoyed that very much.

Edited by Mark Vader
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Collinsworth is the best color guy in the business to me. I know some people hate him but he is the best at his job. I think Romo had that title for a few years, and he was actually very good on the KC game on Sunday, but CBS have been obsessed with forcing him into a straightjacket otherwise and last season he was dull beyond belief. 

The most annoying thing about the MNF crew was them lusting after a punter who outkicked his coverage on every single punt. Like he is literally failing at his job and you are lauding him. 

Collinsworth is good, but he ventures into bizarre player worship and overall dorkyness at times that is just bizarre.  He seems to me to fade as the game goes on.  He tried to defend the lack of OPI on Tampa in last Thursday's game, got the ref, who stated it should be offensive OPI, tried to get the guy to change his mind, he didn't, and then still went on about how it wasn't OPI or is hard to call because how the WR is positioned.  (the WR extended his arm, that always gets called in that situation exp when the DB falls down).  

I liked Collinsworth more in the past.  Romo is now MUCH better than him.  To me Collinsworth has become a cliche machine, Romo actually tells you what he thinks will happen, analyzes the plays, etc.  

12 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Collinsworth is good, but he ventures into bizarre player worship and overall dorkyness at times that is just bizarre.  He seems to me to fade as the game goes on.  He tried to defend the lack of OPI on Tampa in last Thursday's game, got the ref, who stated it should be offensive OPI, tried to get the guy to change his mind, he didn't, and then still went on about how it wasn't OPI or is hard to call because how the WR is positioned.  (the WR extended his arm, that always gets called in that situation exp when the DB falls down).  

I liked Collinsworth more in the past.  Romo is now MUCH better than him.  To me Collinsworth has become a cliche machine, Romo actually tells you what he thinks will happen, analyzes the plays, etc.  

Romo is good pre-snap but no other color guy breaks down a play that has happened post snap as well and as quickly as Collinsworth. It isn't even close. Romo talks you through it as he is watching the replay. Collinsworth doesn't need the replay he has already seen it. He has a great eye especially for what has happened up front.

6 hours ago, Playoff Bound said:

I like Steve Levy.  He is always enthusiastic when he calls a game, no matter what sport it is.  

Yeah, I've always liked him. He's more of a Hockey guy but he has moved around and onto Football. Does anyone know if he got his start in the Buffalo area? I thought I heard that he did, but I could be wrong.

On a side note, I cannot stand Chris Collinsworth. He's a non stop blabber mouth who knows freaking everything. Wish it was just Al Michaels by himself. Would be more enjoyable.