ESPN's MNF broadcast is unwatchable

Dan Darragh

I guess I'm in the minority because I never feel really critical of the tv crew.  I do like some play-by-play guys and commentators more than others but I don't dislike any of them.  I'm more interested in the game - the commentary is mostly just background noise to me.  

Well, I guess the one exception was when MNF put Dennis Miller in the both.  I don't hate him as a comedian but I thought he annoyingly detracted from the game.

• Agree 1

On 9/14/2021 at 6:26 AM, Dan Darragh said:

I got so fed up with the terrible play by play and useless color commentary that I had to turn it off.  Missed an exciting ending.

I forgot about Monday Night Manning on ESPN2.  Did anyone watch it?  How was it?

Peyton is actually really good at describing what’s happening on the field - especially with the QB’s and play calls.  He’s kind of entertaining too and would make a great game analyst   

Eli is ok.  He talks less and tries to make jokes at his brothers expense.

I feel the show is missing a host to keep things moving and balance out the conversations between the Manning’s and the guests but overall it’s cool to watch. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I decided to watch the Manning version this week on ESPN 2. That was fun.  You don’t get play by play commentary, but the insight and breakdown from Peyton is unparalleled.

I still like the normal format for games that I am interested in, but for games like last night, this was highly entertaining.  

Yeah this was absolutely the type of game this is ideal for. Loved it! Didn't like the Gronk segment, but I understand those are the segments that get people to tune in, then they end up sticking around for the Peyton insight.

Dude has alot of info, and they'd never be brave enough to try and broadcast that type of depth on the regular broadcast. It was like Romos first season in the booth on steroids.

Any great matchups I'll tune into regular broadcast, but outside of that, this was great TV 

Edited by BillsShredder83

42 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Peyton is actually really good at describing what’s happening on the field - especially with the QB’s and play calls.  He’s kind of entertaining too and would make a great game analyst   

Eli is ok.  He talks less and tries to make jokes at his brothers expense.

I feel the show is missing a host to keep things moving and balance out the conversations between the Manning’s and the guests but overall it’s cool to watch. 

McAfee would be a great host / play by play guy redirecting them to what's happening in the game while also providing hilarious commentary when the game's dull.