ESPN's MNF broadcast is unwatchable

Dan Darragh

38 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

I think the MNF crew is "adequate" 

The Manning deal was atrocious, i turned it after 5 minutes. Reminded me of Youtube type stuff. 

It was kind of messy but interesting. They need to focus a bit more, maybe have fewer guests? Watch the game more is the big thing. Also the guests almost seemed like they had no plan. The white board idea is cool but u have to keep the game on the screen. They also have whiteboards you can hold in ur hand, might be easier to use. While also being on screen.

I like how the broadcast on Prime gives you an option for different announcers.

Unfortunately none of the options are great but it gives me hope that maybe some day all broadcasts could have something similar that allows us to choose from the national or home town broadcasting teams.

4 minutes ago, Metal Man said:

I like how the broadcast on Prime gives you an option for different announcers.

Unfortunately none of the options are great but it gives me hope that maybe some day all broadcasts could have something similar that allows us to choose from the national or home town broadcasting teams.

All NFL games have National network announcers...the home town broadcast would be radio

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

All NFL games have National network announcers...the home town broadcast would be radio

Understood.

I realize that there are different media outlets involved which would make something like this difficult. Just putting the desire/hope out there that at some point in the ever changing media streaming/consumption world something like this would be possible.

• Like (+1) 1

If I tune into the game more than 2 minutes before it starts they've already lost me.  The campy pre-game, and the multiple pre-taped musical introductions are awful.   No reason to start the game at 8:15, just start at 8:00pm and get rid of all the fluff.    The NFL has to get over treating every pre-game like its the Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Collinsworth is the best color guy in the business to me. I know some people hate him but he is the best at his job. 

I remember when he was on NBC in the 90's, IIRC, and he got flamed universally for announcing the clock should have been stopped when the QB spiked the ball in the shotgun. The actual said you have to be under center for the clock to stop. But in his defense, I did not know that either at the time.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Collinsworth is the best color guy in the business to me. I know some people hate him but he is the best at his job. I think Romo had that title for a few years, and he was actually very good on the KC game on Sunday, but CBS have been obsessed with forcing him into a straightjacket otherwise and last season he was dull beyond belief. 

The most annoying thing about the MNF crew was them lusting after a punter who outkicked his coverage on every single punt. Like he is literally failing at his job and you are lauding him. 

The problem with all of them is that the networks have figured out that the fans want to listen to fanboys raving about the big name stars, rather than people who actually explain what is going on.   So, for example, Romo was amazing his first season when he was telling you what the QB was thinking as he was standing behind center, calling signals.   He would explain where the opportunities were, and how the QB was changing the play while it was happening.  It was fabulous.   CBS apparently stopped him from doing that.   On the other hand, it was amazing to me how little he seemed to understand the running game. 

I agree about Collinsworth.  He tells some interesting things that happened on the field, and he tells us about the little irritating things that happen to players on the field.  He gives a good sense of what's really going on.   

On the other hand, NBC has forced Collingsworth way down the hero worship road (to catch up with Al Michaels, who's been down that road for so long he's pretty unlistenable).  Sunday night, they simply raved all night about Aaron Donald, blah, blah, blah, the great Aaron Donald, blah, blah.   The game is played by 11 guys, and the greatest of them on defense does pretty much nothing on 90% of the plays - he just does his job, the play goes the other way, and he goes back to the huddle.   That was the game Donald had, but it didn't matter - just Donald, Donald, Donald all night long, except when the Rams had the ball, and then it was Kahlil Mack, blah, blah.  They had graphics comparing their career stats.   And they absolutely raved all night long about Matthew Stafford and Sean McVay, about how absolutely great they are, how they're kindred spirits, blah, blah, like they'd won the last three Super Bowls.  Oh, and even more amazing was the Justin Fields hero worship - the guy's done nothing, couldn't win the job from Dalton (remember, we talked about Dalton), and yet they talk about him like he's an absolute sure thing.  They dismissed Trubisky as one of a long line of horrible Bears QBs (four years ago they were no doubt raving about Mitch) - truth is that I'd say it's still even money that Trubisky will have the better career than Fields.  

There are 22 players on the field, and they're doing a complicated dance.  All 22.   Although the best players are, in terms of probability, more likely to make the game winning play, any of the 22 can do it.   ESPN's guys went on all night about Rugg and Renfrow and that tight end, and friggin Zay Jones won the game.

1 hour ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

Bring back Booger

Booger is annoying after a while, but he knows his stuff.  He says plenty of interesting things about what's going on on the field. 

• Like (+1) 2

I couldn't get into the Manning thing, although I get the appeal for some.

Steve Levy is good. 

Griese, i'll probably never give a fair shake to after his obnoxious appearance on OBL last year. 

Riddick is terrible... not everyone is an amazing player.  He literally, at one point, stated Carr was doing things only 4 or 5 QB's in the league can do..

Edited by SCBills

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Riddick is terrible... not everyone is an amazing player.  He literally, at one point, stated Carr was doing things only 4 or 5 QB's in the league can do..

Perfect example of how they overhype the guys they've decided are the story.  Carr was as bad last night as Josh Allen was on Sunday, and then this comment came out of RIddick's mouth, saying Carr was doing stuff only a handful of QBs can do.  

Half or more of NFL games are mediocre and uninteresting.  The announcers' job is to make every game sound like the 1958 NFL championship game.  They're selling, selling, selling the NFL product all day long.  And to a great extent, we buy it. 

I think the pair that we had for the Bills game this week is my favorite in the business right now. The Manning's were pretty cool though; I've always enjoyed when ESPN gives us telecasts like that or the NCAA Championship game where it's just a room of the coaches breaking it down.

22 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I don't get as upset about these guys as most, but I don't necessarily see the need for the color guy in the booth.  Just have a good play by play person call the game.

There is so much down time between plays, they probably feel they need the color guy to spell the play-by-play guy so his voice doesn't give out from non-stop talking. Unfortunately, a lot of the color guys are former players who know amazingly little about the nuances of the game.

I actually enjoy Riddick. And I enjoy his insight to some stuff. 
The problem i have with most broadcasts is the constant hype machine and repetitiveness. They gave Lamar so much love the whole first half, but didn’t dare give him some shade for blowing the game. Gruden made a couple stupid coaching decisions, no criticism whatsoever. Collinsworth is the worst to me, he likes 4-5 players a game and only talks about them and nothing else. His play by play is fine with me but his bias always peaks through