Why can't Tribisky be the holder on place kicks?

JohninMinn.

I like this thread. As someone noted, completely random. We need a completely random thread.

My contribution: given the blocked punt, why don't we use Star as the upback? I've never seen a satisfying answer to the age-old question of "why not sign a morbidly obese guy to be a hockey goalie?"

EDIT: I'm not calling you morbidly obese, Mr. Star. Please don't hurt me. You are just the Biggest Bill of the moment.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

On 9/14/2021 at 8:37 AM, chongli said:

Teams used to do that in the 90's or so, but switched the punter as holder since gives the backup QB more time to practice on offense. Otherwise, he would be working with special teams a lot. Besides, Bills punters have thrown special teams TD's in the past:

And also for a different Moorman to Denney TD pass [see 0:35]:

(1) Top 3 Bills Trick Plays | #TrickPlayThursdays | NFL - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfslWtWZo6o

I miss Brian Moorman. 

• Like (+1) 1

Someone already said it, but I'll repeat as I've heard it discussed multiple times on Sirius XM. 

Years ago most teams had the backup QB hold for field goals. When we switched, like the OP, I didn't understand why because it reduced the likely success of a trick play. But, teams pretty much all came to the agreement it didn't make sense to have a backup QB or other position players take practice time away for this when they already have a punter that doesn't have a large playbook to work on. And, as others have pointed out, Moorman and other punters across the league have been quite successful on the rare trick passing play when called.

On 9/13/2021 at 10:40 PM, WotAGuy said:

QBs are too important and their time in practice too valuable to use it practicing holding. 

This!! 20 years ago, Bruce DeHavan could just tell Frank Reich, stay an extra 1/2 hour after practice to work on kicks.  Or even if not after practice, much more and longer practice times back then so could get away with it.

Not sure about this, but wonder if also back then did the 1st string QB's tend to hold in college more, so when they got to NFL and now were no longer the starter, they still had experience at holding??

What kind of record does Matt Haack have on trick plays?  As has been mentioned Brian Moorman was very athletic and capable of executing a variety of trick plays.  Punters often have some real athletic ability.  They are, of course, typically used as holders on kickoff because they receive long snaps as part of their trade.  Certainly with the proliferation of the shotgun formation, QBs receive the ball on shotgun snaps all the time.  It would be reasonable to put them in the role of holder.  Holders might be at slight risk of injury, but they don't get hurt often.  Receivers could probably make good holders too.  After all, they have to catch all kinds of balls, sometimes in very difficult situations.  Some of Buffalo's receivers have experience with trick plays, including throwing the ball.

Personally, I figure having the punter is holder is normally a sound practice.  I don't have any problem with it.