Bills switch to man coverage vs Steelers

YoloinOhio

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

You’re not wrong. I’m looking at it more as whole. Anytime your defense comes out of a game with those sort of cumulative numbers you should expect to win IMO… and honestly you should win handedly. 

And TOP 33 minutes to 26

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

And TOP 33 minutes to 26

Truthfully most of the metrics fell in our favor by a wide margin. I think I read 8 of our first 11 drives ended up in Pitt territory. That’s a bad look for our situational football. It just…. Is what it is I guess. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Pittsburgh was very vanilla in the first half.  When they put pressure on our secondary in the second half we crumbled.  I think the 2nd half defense is the real Bills defense 

So the Steelers just gave away an entire half of football? 

Bold strategy…

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Truthfully most of the metrics fell in our favor by a wide margin. It just…. Is what it is I guess. 

A blocked punt for a TD and some terrible coaching decisions for were too much to overcome.  

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

A blocked punt for a TD and some terrible coaching decisions for were too much to overcome.  

Right. I think I read 8 of our first 11 drives ended up in PITT territory. And you end up with 16 friggin points. That just screams bad situational football. Inexcusable 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The way the Bills offense was struggling it really gave the Steelers needed emotionally all things considered.

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Y’all gonna lose it when we open up in a 3-3-5 against Miami. 

If Klein can get to the QB better than Hughes (who was quiet yesterday)  I wouldn't mind that formation.

1 hour ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Believe they have played man before for specific opponents

However everything that continues to come out from this game is the entire team coaches and players over thought everything. They just need to get back to basics in a way and just beat the other team, no over thinking just play football

This was it in a nutshell. Play to your strengths. Daboll getting cute on short yardage. McDermott going for 4th and 8 when he has a guy who can kick the 52 yarder and a lead, Josh looking deep all game long because they told him they need to hit more big plays when there were guys open at 10 yards all game, getting a blocked punt, a one man pattern on a flea flicker, running Sanders as your deep threat instead of Davis or Diggs, putting 39 on an island when they can’t run the ball on you. All are coaching impacted. This not only played mediocre but it’s coaching staff looked amateurish yesterday. 

I am so sick of hearing how Daboll spent 60 hour weeks all summer working on how to counteract what teams would be doing to stop us. Just play our game, like KC plays their game, and make someone prove they can stop you. Don’t change your game trying to be cute. 

Edited by Locomark
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The points still count if ST or the other team's defense scores them.

I take your point that when the defense allows 16 points you generally expect a good offense to score more, so you win, but we don't get to disregard the points off ST.

I hate it when the defense gives up blocked punts.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Pittsburgh was very vanilla in the first half.  When they put pressure on our secondary in the second half we crumbled.  I think the 2nd half defense is the real Bills defense 

I would have to re-watch, but I think one reason the Steelers put pressure on our secondary in the second half was in part we weren't getting as much pressure up front - playing like we were gassed.   So Big Ben had a bit more time to pick us apart.

We have (relatively) smaller guys on our DL and they have to play with very high energy to beat the bigger guys on OL

16 minutes ago, Locomark said:

I am so sick of hearing how Daboll spent 60 hour weeks all summer working on how to counteract what teams would be doing to stop us. 

I actually haven't heard that at all. If true, it's interesting that he decided not to put any of that preparation to use yesterday.

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

You often strike me as a 'If there was a 3rd half..." kind of guys. 

I strike me as an "I have no idea what that means" kinda guy

1 minute ago, MPT said:

I actually haven't heard that at all. If true, it's interesting that he decided not to put any of that preparation to use yesterday.

Ouch.  But apparently true.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

image.thumb.png.cf871c67dd8671e7092bf584c8a45c6b.png

I quote "You don't get to disregard the points off ST"

If you're discussing the performance of the defense, then you can absolutely disregard points off ST. If anything, a blocked punt is more closely related to the offense.

4 minutes ago, MPT said:

If you're discussing the performance of the defense, then you can absolutely disregard points off ST. If anything, a blocked punt is more closely related to the offense.

I'll try one more time. 

The oft-quoted metric is that if a team holds their opponent to less than 20 points, they should generally win.

Let me say that again a little louder for the guys in the back: if a TEAM holds their opponent to less than 20 points, they should generally win.

It's a TEAM thing.  The defense doesn't get to sit back and say "hey 23 points?  Well ***** only 16 of 'em were ours, so who the ***** cares if we let the opponent score on every single drive in the 2nd half while the offense needed time to come from behind?  We did OUR job!"  That's not how football works.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'll try one more time. 

The oft-quoted metric is that if a team holds their opponent to less than 20 points, they should generally win.

Let me say that again a little louder for the guys in the back: if a TEAM holds their opponent to less than 20 points, they should generally win.

It's a TEAM thing.  The defense doesn't get to sit back and say "hey 23 points?  Well ***** only 16 of 'em were ours, so who the ***** cares if we let the opponent score on every single drive in the 2nd half while the offense needed time to come from behind?  We did OUR job!"  That's not how football works.

There's 3 phases to football and nobody is saying the defense is reacting like your post above.  And I know you know this.

Simple fact, blocked punt led to 7 points.

If you and others want to call out the defense for their 2nd half performance, obviously go for it.  But as I've said in other threads:

1. Momentum was given to the Steeler offense 2x, on failed 4th down conversions.  Like it or not, that's a real thing and impacts the play going forward in the game

2. Two questionable penalties, took away an early INT and then the second took away a 3rd down stop and led to a Steeler TD.  

3. Steelers have a talented offense, they did this to Cleveland and Colts at the end of last year (play bad in 1st half then turn it on in 2nd half).  

Just my opinion, but I'm looking at the overall performance and very pleased with the defense effort.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'll try one more time. 

That is how football works though. This isn't basketball or hockey where everyone plays offense and defense. They are completely separate entities. If the defense only gives up 16 points, they did their job well. Obviously it's still a team loss, but you can't say the defense played poorly when they only gave up one touchdown. 

Just curious, would you still blame the defense if we lost 6-3? 10-6? Where's the cutoff?

• Agree 3