Inactivating Zach Moss

Is the backup RB now the most popular position with Allen entranced at QB?  

Seriously, the gross exaggeration of Moss around here is mind blowing.  I like Moss, dont get me wrong, but Moss being active or not active had literally no impact on this games result.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Seriously, the gross exaggeration of Moss around here is mind blowing.  I like Moss, dont get me wrong, but Moss being active or not active had literally no impact on this games result.  

Mostly agree, but on that third and three run by Brieda right before the fourth down disaster, Moss is likely getting that first. He doesn't go down easy, and Brieda went down easy there. I realize it's just one play.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Mostly agree, but on that third and three run by Brieda right before the fourth down disaster, Moss is likely getting that first. He doesn't go down easy, and Brieda went down easy there. I realize it's just one play.

When has Moss ever been impressive?

The highlight of his career is that 42-yard run against the Jets. 

That's about it. 

He's a 3-yards and a cloud of dust running back. 

If he's superior as a pass blocker, we can listen to that argument, but he is not a playmaker. 

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

When has Moss ever been impressive?

The highlight of his career is that 42-yard run against the Jets. 

That's about it. 

He's a 3-yards and a cloud of dust running back. 

If he's superior as a pass blocker, we can listen to that argument, but he is not a playmaker. 

He's a tough, punishing runner who breaks tackles and has good vision. He played well in the second half of last season, averaging 4.7 ypc from week 7 onward. That's actually good, and significantly more than "three yards and a cloud of dust." He's hardly a Mike Tolbert-like player.  

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

Imagine being the Raiders and having your 3rd year, #4 overall pick be a healthy scratch. Can you imagine the board if we did something like this? 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/09/16/gus-bradley-clelin-ferrell-handled-being-inactive-like-a-true-pro/

Raiders defensive end Clelin Ferrell was inactive for Week One, with Las Vegas electing to make the fourth overall pick of the 2019 draft a healthy scratch.

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea I’m confused why Singletary is getting the edge over Moss…. I thought he was clearly the better player towards the end of last season.

Because they make their decisions based on who is better now. Not last year.

Questionable if he was even better at any point last year.

Appreciate all the replies. Positive and negative 😄

This got a bit vitriolic at times, and I certainly stoked some fires.

I think Moss adds value as a (+) blocker and that has real value in a pass first offense.

I understand some of you don't feel that way.

Singletary is probably the better runner, but every metric shows Moss to be a better pass blocker.

When you pay a man $250 million, you should block for him.

Outside of OL who is the best pass blocker on the Bills???? (the answer is Moss)

Let's see if OBD agrees with me this week or not.

Edited by ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin

I’m mostly upset about this because I went zero RB in my fantasy draft and opted to take Moss over Singletary. I do think he is a true downhill RB with strength and vision and he should play, but I’m not at practice and I’m not in the meetings so I probably don’t know everything. 

It is pretty clear Dabs wants to play a lot of 4 and 5 WR sets. Moss doesn’t have a role in that spread offense. The fact that we struggled to move the ball last week maybe means they switch it up and get Moss involved next week but who knows. 

9 hours ago, MJS said:

I think Singletary is clearly our best back. Breida adds a different dimension that Singletary and Moss don't provide. Jones plays special teams. Moss was just the odd man out.

It's not complicated. But you seem to not agree with the coaches, which is fine, but they see him everyday in practice and felt like the other backs gave the Bills a better chance to win. I agree with them.

I’m not sure there is much difference between Devin and Zack. Devins alittle more shiftier and Zackmore of a pounder but the results are a lot of the same. Neither has breakaway speed. They both have the same amount TDs in their career so Zack gets in the end zone more. Probably because he’s gets more carries near the goal line because he’s the stronger back. If that’s the case it also means he’s better in short yardage situations. 
For the amount we run right now I believe Moss is the better fit. 

42 minutes ago, BananaB said:

I’m not sure there is much difference between Devin and Zack. Devins alittle more shiftier and Zackmore of a pounder but the results are a lot of the same. Neither has breakaway speed. They both have the same amount TDs in their career so Zack gets in the end zone more. Probably because he’s gets more carries near the goal line because he’s the stronger back. If that’s the case it also means he’s better in short yardage situations. 

I respectfully disagree. I think Singletary is better and I doubt he will be inactive at all this year unless he is injured. I expect Moss to be inactive in the future.

I think Singletary is shiftier and is deceptively hard to bring down. He has surprising power and often pushes for yards after contact as long as he has some momentum.

16 hours ago, Chaos said:

Bills have have an average to below average stable of running backs. No shuffling of the deck changes that. 

True to an extent - but imo, Moss brings something that Singletary & Breida don't. He's just a tougher runner, and better for short yardage.

I feel like Singletary needs to be in space to be the most effective. He's not our "run up the middle" guy.  

I felt like we really missed Moss on 4th and short last week.

On 9/16/2021 at 8:44 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

I never understood it. Moss could be a nice back. Or he could not be.

Singletary was and is the best back on the team and I’m not sure it’s close.

If he was inactive, then we need a thread.

19 hours ago, BananaB said:

Fact is we have a very high percentage of runs that go for no gain or a loss of yards.  That always seems like a line issue.

• Like (+1) 1