Steelers Blocked Punt Schematic

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Exactly,  Haack was way too shallow and took 3 1/2 steps. That block was all on him.

Sorry, leaving a defender unblocked is not "all on the punter"

I'll grant that he was shallow and that contributed, though we don't know if it was by design or a mistake on his part.

He always takes 3 steps and our ST have to be able to deal with that

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

from Sal Capaccio

If you click on the top tweet (might need to right click and "open in new tab" on a computer) it should take you there.

He's got a nifty diagram with moving circles to show what happened.

Does anyone know where Sal is getting these marvelous little moving diagrams from?

8 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Compare it to the other 31 teams. Give us the actual numbers.

This kind of statement is pointless without a source.

The NFL's premier special teams player Matthew Slater is playing on a 2 year $5.3M contract.

Tyler Matakevich got a 2 year $7.1M contract from the Bills.

If Tremaine Edmunds gets 25% more $ on a new deal than Darius Leonard would I need to show the contract of every off-ball LB in the league to illustrate how "overpaid" that is?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Sorry, leaving a defender unblocked is not "all on the punter"

I'll grant that he was shallow and that contributed, though we don't know if it was by design or a mistake on his part.

He always takes 3 steps and our ST have to be able to deal with that

Does anyone know where Sal is getting these marvelous little moving diagrams from?

I don't know his exact one but probably something like this... https://apps.apple.com/us/app/football-play-designer/id1407432809

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The NFL's premier special teams player Matthew Slater is playing on a 2 year $5.3M contract.

Tyler Matakevich got a 2 year $7.1M contract from the Bills.

If Tremaine Edmunds gets 25% more $ on a new deal than Darius Leonard would I need to show the contract of every off-ball LB in the league to illustrate how "overpaid" that is?

This doesn't help your argument.

Slater is a 36 yr old backup WR. 

For legit comparison, Taiwan Jones is 33 years old and is only getting paid

1.7 mil. That's 1.7 against the salary cap compared to Slater's 2.6.

Matakevich is a 28 yr old back up LB. Guys in their prime get paid more than guys in their late 30s...

Bills also have Bass on a cheap draft pick deal.

Overall the Bills are 22nd in cap dollars spent towards the 3 dedicated special teamers: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/special/

So, yeah... you need to show actual data that supports your claim. Otherwise, it's hard to take it seriously.

Edited by LeGOATski

5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

This doesn't help your argument.

Slater is a 36 yr old backup WR. 

For legit comparison, Taiwan Jones is 33 years old and is only getting paid

1.7 mil. That's 1.7 against the salary cap compared to Slater's 2.6.

Matakevich is a 28 yr old back up LB. Guys in their prime get paid more than guys in their late 30s...

Bills also have Bass on a cheap draft pick deal.

Overall the Bills are 22nd in cap dollars spent towards the 3 dedicated special teamers: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/special/

So, yeah... you need to show actual data that supports your claim. Otherwise, it's hard to take it seriously.

Looks like the Steelers just made a better and cheaper ST investment.  Miles Killibrew is also 28; he's on a one year, $1,127,500 contract.  He completely embarrassed Matakevich, who makes a lot more.

The blocked punt is ALL on Haack.  Yes, the blocking broke down, but if he uses a two-step technique (step-kick), instead of a three-step technique (step-step-kick), the punt is gone when they get there.  He also shuffled his feet on the first step, so that little stutter move added a few tenths of a second.  

As for distance from the LOS, 14 yards is standard.  The LOS was the 23, and he was standing on the 9.5-yard line, so that 18" may also have played a part in the block.  His kicking foot was on the 14-yard line when the punt was blocked, but I'm not sure what the standard is for how many yards behind the LOS the kicking foot should be at impact.  You bet your ass I'll be iso'ing on Haack next week.

How far does a punt have to go to qualify for a fumble recovery in favor of the punting team?

For example, in the CLE/KC game where the punter dropped the snap and started to run...

If he had drop kicked the ball while on the run and it ricochets off a Chiefs player who is bearing down on him, is it a fumble that CLE could recover and end up 1st and 10? 

Edited by TheFunPolice

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Looks like the Steelers just made a better and cheaper ST investment.  Miles Killibrew is also 28; he's on a one year, $1,127,500 contract.  He completely embarrassed Matakevich, who makes a lot more.

Please elaborate on how this means the Bills are overspending on special teams as a whole.

34 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

How far does a punt have to go to qualify for a fumble recovery in favor of the punting team?

For example, in the CLE/KC game where the punter dropped the snap and started to run...

If he had drop kicked the ball while on the run and it ricochets off a Chiefs player who is bearing down on him, is it a fumble that CLE could recover and end up 1st and 10? 

A chiefs player would have to touch it beyond the LOS for cleveland to be able to recover it.  Otherwise it's a conclusion of the play and down.   Cleveland could recover it, however they would need to advance it beyond the marker to gain.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/13/2021 at 4:27 PM, jkeerie said:

Tasker said today on One Bills Live that Hauck was not back far enough when he took the snap.  He said punters are supposed to be farther back.  When Hauck got the ball he also took two tiny steps and then two more.  He was much too close to the line when he punted.  It was schemed well by the Steelers, but if Hauck was back where he should have been, the Steelers would have had to lay out to block it.  They didn't have to do that.

Can anyone say why they felt the need to change punters looks like a case of grass not always greener on the other side if it is the water bill higher

• Disagree 1

I do not have fancy graphics .. but every punt my son and I are shouting at the screen to punt the thing as he takes soooooooooooooo long to actually swing his leg. I will reserve judgment, but right now he seems to be the Ent of punting and as TreeBeard says "it takes a long time to punt a ball in old entish"

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

I do not have fancy graphics .. but every punt my son and I are shouting at the screen to punt the thing as he takes soooooooooooooo long to actually swing his leg. I will reserve judgment, but right now he seems to be the Ent of punting and as TreeBeard says "it takes a long time to punt a ball in old entish"

Haack is a 3 stepper. Even if the line holds up its going to be close to someone getting there. McD likes left footed punters because the ball rotates differently for the returner. More opportunities for muffs. He's not going to boom too many 55+ yarders but he does excel at inside the 20. Hopefully they can get him to kick a 2 step version. 

On 9/14/2021 at 6:01 PM, Bigantall said:

Can anyone say why they felt the need to change punters looks like a case of grass not always greener on the other side if it is the water bill higher

Because Corey was a below average punter at placement and angling of kicks and was absolutely terrible at holding for FGs and XPs.  

Corey over the last 2 years has cost the Bills more points that Haack will - the issue is the blame was given to the Kickers not the problem point of the holder.

Additionally - The blocked kick this year has given Haack 2 blocked kicks in his 5th season - while Corey has had 2 blocked in 4 years.  

Corey also had his 2 blocked in about 170 kicks versus the 2 blocks on Haack in 314 kicks.  

So basically we got a better placement punter, that is better at holding, and has had a better career record at punting without blocks by a significant margin - even being slower.

Does that help answer your question?